HK Alpha Motion Picture Co & The Eternal Film (H.K.) Co.

bruceleeclones

bruceleeclones

I was just wondering if anyone knows who owns the copyrights to these two companies back catalogue?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe The Eternal Film was some sort of satellite company owned by Shaw Brothers, but I'm not sure if Celestial would have the rights.

Eternal are not part of Shaw Brothers, Shaws used to distribute some of their films for them . They were owned by Pal Ming when Sghe died in the 80's her daughter took control of the company she lives in upstate NY and as far as I know did not sell the films yet.

Alpaha films is run by Jimmy Shaw he lives in China/USA. some of the Bruce Li moves he has are co owned by Imperial Pictures (UK) boss R.P Shah

Eternal are not part of Shaw Brothers, Shaws used to distribute some of their films for them . They were owned by Pal Ming when Sghe died in the 80's her daughter took control of the company she lives in upstate NY and as far as I know did not sell the films yet.

Alpaha films is run by Jimmy Shaw he lives in China/USA. some of the Bruce Li moves he has are co owned by Imperial Pictures (UK) boss R.P Shah

Thanks for clearing that up.

bruceleeclones

Thanks for the info, thats a great help. Any idea of the name of Pal Ming's daughter?

Can anyone more knowledgeable than I explain what exactly the relation between Shaw Brothers and Eternal Films was? I've looked for info, but still can't any definitive answer. Some people list it as a separate company that was merely distributed by Shaw. Other's have it down as a subsidiary. There's even constant references to it as being "formerly Shaw & Sons" which makes things more confusing.

Shaw and Sons, I believe was an early film company set up by Runme Shaw. They may have held onto its trademark, but I don't know exactly if it became Eternal Films, or how it did.

Did Eternal release strictly HK produced films or where they shot elsewhere?

Chinatown Kid

Eternal released the Billy Chong and Bruce Li films, I read a long time ago that the studio was supposedly run by all women?

Shaw and Sons, I believe was an early film company set up by Runme Shaw.
Shaw and Sons was the Hong Kong company before Run-Run, fresh of his succes in Malaysia and as a theatre mogul, decided to take over the company. I've heard that one of the other Shaw brothers ran Eternal.

Maybe that's what Runme was doing in the '70s, when the main studio was basically Run-Run and Mona Fong's show?

Shaw and Sons was the Hong Kong company before Run-Run, fresh of his succes in Malaysia and as a theatre mogul, decided to take over the company. I've heard that one of the other Shaw brothers ran Eternal.

Maybe that's what Runme was doing in the '70s, when the main studio was basically Run-Run and Mona Fong's show?

Possibly. I'm sure I heard Shaw and Sons became Eternal, though it's quite possible I got the stories mixed up.

Chinatown Kid

I knew I had read that the company was owned by women or a woman alone time ago, I believe it was in an issue of Karate International that was reviewing Billy Chongs films.

And so it turns out you were right. Pau Ming/Pal Ming was indeed the female producer behind the company.

Still keen to know what exactly the arrangement was between the two companies.

Archived