Ip Man US DVD release:

daisho2004

daisho2004

JFYI: Ip Man is being released on the US Market on: July 27, 2010

Ip Man (Collector's Edition) [blu-ray]

51nw1%2B0reyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Product Description

Ip Man Collector's Edition (containing of 2 hours of bonus footage) is an award winning adaptation based on the life of Ip Man (Donnie Yen), the grandmaster of Wing Chun and later teacher and mentor to widely influential and legendary martial artist, Bruce Lee. Ip Man is set in the 1930s in Foshan, a hub of southern Chinese martial arts just as the Second Sino-Japan war breaks out. During the war, China is nearly ripped to pieces by racial hatred, nationalistic strife and warfare. Ip Man rose like a phoenix above these ashes as he defied an empire bringing hope to China. Winner of Best Picture and Actor, Ip Man ranks as one of the best martial arts movies of all time!<P>Over 2 Hours of Bonus Features<BR>Interviews with Donnie Yen, Wilson Yip, Simon Yam, Sammo Hung, Lynn Hung, Hiroyuki Ikeuchi, Ip Chun<BR>US Trailer and Theatrical Trailer<BR>Making Of<BR>2 TV Spots<BR>3 Main Scenes<BR>On the set<BR>Deleted Scenes<BR>Gala Screening

The Bottom image is the standard Blu-Ray Edition

616nS0KY%2BrL._SS500_.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
froffeecoffee

I'd hold off getting my hopes up. Well Go USA is releasing this. :sad:

They're also releasing Ip Man 2 in U.S. theaters in early 2011.

The Collector's edition will have interviews, a featurette, deleted scenes, trailers, and a sneak peek of Ip Man 2.

The other is a standard edition with just the movie probably.

I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt and hope it's a good release so I can support it and let them know people here want to see this movie.

Also excited to possibly see one or both in theaters here.

If it sucks however I'll go to a local Chinese stationary store that sells official HK and mainland DVDs. I might do that anyway when they get Ip Man 2 on DVD... :)

I'll hold off on purchasing this movie until this Blu-ray comes out and its quality can be properly assessed. I try and buy the US releases when possible - because it sends a statement that despite the best efforts of the larger US distributors to completely destroy it, there IS a market for this stuff here.

I just wish the US distributors weren't so goddamn incompetent most of the time.

I may double dip if it has special features not on the 2 Disk HK version. It comes out the day after my B-Day so I may treat myself.

Amazon has the pre-order for the extended version right now...cheaper than the standard. For $21, I'll bite. I can't wait to see if the Blu version was done well. I have not had the VHS in years.

Ip Man extended

daisho2004

It does say Dubbed on the format so I'm thinking there will be an English Dubbed Audio track.

Guest WuxiaFan
Does any know if IP Man 7/27/10 DVD US release will be in english audio?

IP MAN is not a movie that you watch dubbed. Watch it in Cantonese so you hear the actor's original voices. :ooh:

daisho2004
IP MAN is not a movie that you watch dubbed. Watch it in Cantonese so you hear the actor's original voices.

WuxiaFan: True Story!

IP MAN is not a movie that you watch dubbed. Watch it in Cantonese so you hear the actor's original voices. :ooh:

Real talk. People seem to be into dubs a lot though; I posted that on the main website and Mark Pollard said it was mostly because of nostalgia...I can see people being completists about collecting all the versions of a movie they can I guess.

Really, the only time I liked dubs was when I was a kid and usually it involved Godzilla movies.

daisho2004

I only like the classic SB movies English Dubbed, all other movies have to be in there native language. Reading Subtitles does not bother me in the least, I watch English movies with subtitles. To concentrate on thinks I might have missed, in the story.

Twitch has the US trailer. It is embarrassingly bad, cliched, and the perfect example of everything wrong with how US releases of Asian films are handled. This will convince absolutely nobody to watch the film who wouldn't have watched it anyway. The weakest of sauces.

Twitch has the US trailer. It is embarrassingly bad, cliched, and the perfect example of everything wrong with how US releases of Asian films are handled. This will convince absolutely nobody to watch the film who wouldn't have watched it anyway. The weakest of sauces.

Hmmm...needs more bamboo flute and geishas!

Archived