The last princess

daisho2004

daisho2004

THE LAST PRINCESS: Has anyone seen this movie if so how is it?

Synopsis

After the Akizuku clan fall in defeat to rival clan Yamana, Princess Yuki (Nagasawa Masami) and general Rokurota (Hiroshi Abe), take cover in a hidden fortress, along with their clan and gold treasury. Fortuitously stumbling into the hideaways, brash young miner Takezo (Matsumoto Jun) and his bumbling sidekick Shinhachi (Miyagawa Daiuske) hatch a daring plan to help transport the gold out of enemy terrain - in exchange for a share of the stash, of course. With assassins hot in pursuit, Yuki disguises as a male and ventures into the real world with Rukurota and her peasant companions, getting her first taste of danger, toil, and budding romance with the strong-minded and willful Takezo.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ToothbrushFu

This is a remake of Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress. And its terrible. Hiroshi Abe is a good actor but he's not Toshiro Mifune. And I think that Masami Nagasawa is also good, given the right part and co-stars. But those two are about the only decent things in the movie, and the plot has been re-jigged to make one of the peasant dudes from the original into a romantic hero so they're not even the main characters! The peasant hero is played by boyband member and all-round terrible actor Jun Matsumoto.

Its directed by Shinji Higuchi, who is great as a sfx guy (check out his work in the 90s Gamera movies) but terrible as a director - if you've seen his remake of Sinking of Japan you'll know what I mean. That movie started off impressively with some nice action and drama but then got bogged down in some awful melodrama that made me want to tear out my eyeballs and throw them out the window. Well, The Last Princess doesn't even have the good beginning, its all rubbish melodrama with surprisingly bad sfx thrown in (yes, they do feel the need to have huge explosions going on all the time in feudal Japan).

So I have to sincerely say that if you think the story sounds interesting watch the original and don't bother with this crap. BTW Kurosawa's original is only a minor work from him but it has one of the most fantastic horse chase scenes ever.

daisho2004

ToothbrushFu: Thanks for the heads up, sometimes I come across movies and before I take a chance, I have to hear if its worth it or not.

Archived