Spooky Encounters 2 DVD?

Space

I've looked around for this thing and all I can find is the Panmedia for sale, (as well as a Tai Seng/Pan Asia VHS).

The French release looks good but has no English subs (and I haven't seen it for sale anywhere); there's also a UK release that exists somewhere as "Spooky Encounters," from what I gather, and is full screen to the point of cutting off subtitles. Also, can't find it anywhere.

I know Panmedia are awful, horrible bootleggers and whatnot, but since it seems to be the only version available in the U.S., does anyone have it?

Thoughts on it if so?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kungfusamurai

I don't know the Pan Media or any other version except for the French one. That one is widescreen, if you decide to get it even without the subs.

KFS

I don't know the Pan Media or any other version except for the French one. That one is widescreen, if you decide to get it even without the subs.

KFS

Yeah, I saw this DVD of Spooky Encounters 2 on eBay, which sort of started this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150417388649&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=M*F%3F&GUID=54c347c91280a0b58ae70017fff5d444&itemid=150417388649&ff4=263602_263622

Looking at it, it looks exactly like every other Panmedia out there, though I haven't seen this version for sale anywhere else.

There is the french version with custom english subs around. I downloaded it on some torrent site a year or so ago. Remastered print with good custom added english subs.

OK, I took the plunge and ordered the boot from eBay, I'll let you guys (and gals) know how it is! :khi8h:

There is the french version with custom english subs around. I downloaded it on some torrent site a year or so ago. Remastered print with good custom added english subs.

That's probably what the bootleg is.

Got the movie and scanned through it.

First things first, Asmo is probably right, this looks like the transfer is ripped from the French DVD. Custom English subs that are fine. I've not seen the French version, only screencaps, so I can't speak to it, but this version is slightly cropped on the edges. Nothing too noticeable though, except for the beginning credits. The picture quality is great though, pretty much no dirt, scratches or specks to be found. A little bit faded at most, but who can complain.

The weird thing is in three scenes there seems to be a few moments of footage lost, so they used a fade effect to blend footage together briefly. Hard to explain, but it feels like you're in a dream scene when you're not. Very odd, and I wonder if the French DVD has that? If not this may be taken from somewhere else, but it took me out of the movie.

Sound is fine, I don't have surround sound to test the 5.1 capability (it comes with Cantonese and English 5.1 tracks, no mono). I'm not that picky about sound on old movies, and so far it seems fairly decent to me.

Subs are on the image but it's OK, any lower and they would be difficult to read.

All in all, not bad, but someone else will do better.

Also, Wong Man-Gwan is hot in this movie.

I'm not aware of any other official releases. I'm sure the French release is uncut, and it should be in mono.

I have a downloadable copy with English subs very good picture quality, so if anyone have a fearless dragons (vengeance copy) downloadable copy we can trade.

Wonder what all that fading out to cover lost footage is all about. :ooh:

I would have bet that the Pan media dvd would be the French HK Video print but converted to NTSC.

There are several seconds of footage missing from the French dvd print but I think that was probably due to print damage and it isn't noticeable unless you have a really good memory.

God knows how they made a 5.1 audio mix from original mono, unless it's still mono but slightly spread out to other channels. Which I'd imagine sounds shit.

The subtitles could have come from anywhere.

I have managed to download 3 different set of subtitle translations online plus that custom subbed version with badly timed and translated yellow subs.

~Then there is my custom subtitled version which was slightly better than the above versions. I have improved an updated on the translation since then though.

Can anyone who has this Pan Media dvd please post some screen shots and also some examples of the subtitles?

I could tell you if they created a new translation or if they used subs from various sets found online.

I would but the Panmedia disc makes my computers freak out when I pop it in. Pretty normal for their stuff, they don't want you bootlegging it! :tongue:

Bootleg company doesn't want people bootlegging their stuff! 'lol :tongue:

What do you mean by "freaks out"? I've never had such problem.

Also, can I ask, do the subtitles during the final scene of the film say something like -

- Master, what are they?

- They are bewitched corpses.

- You mean, bewitched pigs.

- No, they are bewitched corpses.

- Oh, bewitched pigs.

I saw this translation on a youtube clip and thought it might be a clip from the pan media version.

Having seen 4 different subtitle translations for this film, I've never found a set with the words... "Bewitched pigs" before. I think Pan media might have made those subs and possibly got it wrong.

It usually goes -

-Master, what are they?

-They're bewitched corpses.

- You mean Mummies.

---

I don't understand the "bewitched pigs" line. Doesn't make sense. Although I guess it could be right for some reason.

---

If the english dub they've used is the one I'm thinking of, and it has tape damage sounds every so often, I think they

might have used my recording of that dub that I recorded from Sky TV back in 2003. Nicked it straight off my custom dvd.

The Panmedia disc has the "mummies" line, not the "pigs" one.

I have a couple Panmedias and other bootlegs that make my PC crash when I pop them in and try to run them (recently, my copies of Martial Arts of Shaolin and The Taoist Wizard make the drive start running very loudly, like it's going to catch on fire or something!). Other Panmedias though, like Drunken Master and Drunken Tai Chi are fine...

Spooky Encounters 2 works on my computer, but won't fully copy. The disc skips on my DVD player in a couple spots and apparently those spots give my PC problems when reading it. I'm currently loaning it out, because I couldn't make a copy for a friend. Overall, I have no problem copying a legit release, but a lot of bootlegs are more well encoded against piracy!

I must admit I get that loud drive sound from the occasional legit dvd. God knows why though.

Those blips in the Pan media dvd that make it skip and stop you from copying it to your drive = one of many reasons why Pan Media dvds suck. I'd be well pissed off if I bought a dvd and had that trouble.

Do you think they use cheap as hell discs aswell? Probably.

I've received DVD-Rs from people in trades and because the disc brands are so cheap, the disc only lasts a few months and then stops working altogether. I have films I can't watch now because the disc has decided to stop working. But there is no damage to the disc surface atall. It's as good as new.

Memorex and Maxell being 2.

Thanks for the info on those subs. :bigsmile: There's a strong chance the subs they used were created by me. But they would be my older ones before I improved them.

Ive got a clear print with subtitles if anyone wants a DVDR copy. I'm always willing to help those in need. :smile:

Ive got other rares too and most of the Celestial Kung Fu/Wuxia Shaws releases as well......

DeathFuMaster
I must admit I get that loud drive sound from the occasional legit dvd. God knows why though.

Those blips in the Pan media dvd that make it skip and stop you from copying it to your drive = one of many reasons why Pan Media dvds suck. I'd be well pissed off if I bought a dvd and had that trouble.

Do you think they use cheap as hell discs aswell? Probably.

I've received DVD-Rs from people in trades and because the disc brands are so cheap, the disc only lasts a few months and then stops working altogether. I have films I can't watch now because the disc has decided to stop working. But there is no damage to the disc surface atall. It's as good as new.

Memorex and Maxell being 2.

Thanks for the info on those subs. :bigsmile: There's a strong chance the subs they used were created by me. But they would be my older ones before I improved them.

Yeah the best DVD-Rs I have found are Sony. I use them to back up games and movies and they always work fine.

Archived