History Channel on Musashi Miyamoto

BlackLamaFaction

BlackLamaFaction

Did anyone catch the 2 hour Doc on Book of Five Rings writer Musashi Miyamota? I barely watch History anymore since it turned to the Nostradamus network, but this show was kind of fantastic. It follows Mark Decascos through the modern day sites in Japan significant to the life of Miyamoto. It uses flashback (live action and Anime style animation) to tell Miyamoto's story. The legendary story of him surviving an ambush by the Yoshioka clan was my particular favorite sequence. We all know the story told in the Samurai Trilogy, but this was something quite different. Taking away the drama of a film makes you appreciate the man himself and makes his exploits all the more awe inspiring. His strategy, intelligence, uncanny understanding of human psychology, and impeccable instincts in battle were remarkable. His surviving and winning some 60 duels was not an exaggerated number. The Doc also examines aspects of everyday life of samurai culture in Miyamoto's time such as swordmaking, Samurai's code of honor, and the like. I found it to be thoroughly entertaining as well as educational.

Check this out if you get a chance you wont be disappointed.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw a little bit of it, but Dacascos put me to sleep with his 'barely above a whisper' narration.

Archived