Hanzo The Razor - Bad Edit By Kenji Misumi?

kungfusamurai

kungfusamurai

I finally got around to watching the DVD for Sword of Injustice after sitting on the set for a few years. It looked beautiful upconverted onto my 42 inch screen. Hanzo's sword looked even bigger!!! :D

The edit I'm talking about occurs in that last part of the movie, you know which has nothing to do with the rest of the film, dealing with the old man and the kids who want to end his suffering. I think they didn't have enough footage to fill out a 90 minute film, so they added that last part. Anyway, it happens when the doctor who Hanzo summoned has finished giving his prognosis and is standing up to leave. It's hilarious - the doctor...vanishes, as does the guy sitting to Hanzo's right. It's like they were supposed to dematerialize out of there? It was a horrible edit. Check it out. It's around the 1 hr 24 min mark.

KFS

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before the movie begins a card reads that a couple spots during the film were too badly damaged and had to be removed. It even points out where in the film this occurs.

kungfusamurai
Before the movie begins a card reads that a couple spots during the film were too badly damaged and had to be removed. It even points out where in the film this occurs.

I'll have to check that out again. I don't recall that being an issue with the Animeigo VHS.

KFS

kungfusamurai
I'll have to check that out again. I don't recall that being an issue with the Animeigo VHS.

KFS

Okay, I just watched the Animeigo VHS, and it has the exact same edit. Strange that Home Vision would say they removed it because of the damage, yet Animeigo was also missing the footage. But they didn't write anywhere that there were edits.

KFS

It was most likely in that condition when they got it whether from AnimeGo, or Toho. Here is what it says at the beginning prior to the movie starting....

Due to irreversible damage to the original film elements, at approximately 26 minutes and 13 seconds into SWORD OF JUSTICE, 25 seconds of audio are missing. Similarly, at approximately 84 minutes and 15 seconds, there are a few seconds of missing footage resulting in an unintentional jump cut.

kungfusamurai

That's too bad. You'd think they could have looked around for a back up print, maybe one slightly worn from being played in the cinemas, but useful to edit back in the missing portions.

KFS

Archived