What Group of Movies is there to look for in this period? And list your top 20!

Jackie Fhan

Jackie Fhan

Hello guys, new here. I just wanted to see what all of you thought were great Asian films from the 20's up to 85. I am mostly aware of the new stuff and of the shaw stuff. However, I am not that aware of the other movies from this time period. So can we talk about the many great films here and you guys list your top 10 or 20? I would gladly apreciate it, as I have spent hundreds of hours researching shaw and us films. I havent been able to research too much into the other films, as it can be hard to find what your actually looking for with google searches. Sometimes its just easier to know from the ones who already know.

Is it golden harevest who was the big player besides Shaw? I'm not even sure of all the studios to be honest. I really enjoy movies like 36th chamber, come drink with me and drunken master. Great films. I am probably up to about 250 asian films, and would love for that count to go up, I guess the only thing that stops me is funds. :tongue:

I have visited this site for a while, and love the communities input and fandom.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fang Shih-yu
Is it Golden Harvest who was the big player besides Shaw? I'm not even sure of all the studios to be honest.

Cathay is another Hong Kong studio of note. Only more recently have official DVD reissues (currently, only imports) of some of these movies been put out; even then, none are their "martial arts" titles--YET, which are the stuff of legends, from what I've read of them, here and there! Otherwise, a few exist in bootleg form only! Alas, what has been legally reissued is said to be "full screen" versions of "widescreen" movies!:cry: Check around on sites like Five Star Laser or YesAsia for these movies.... To generalize, for a while, it was Shaw vs. Cathay; then, Golden Harvest came in the '70s! Things wouldn't be the same!

Jackie Fhan
Cathay is another Hong Kong studio of note. Only more recently have official DVD reissues (currently, only imports) of some of these movies been put out; even then, none are their "martial arts" titles--YET, which are the stuff of legends, from what I've read of them, here and there! Otherwise, a few exist in bootleg form only! Alas, what has been legally reissued is said to be "full screen" versions of "widescreen" movies!:cry: Check around on sites like Five Star Laser or YesAsia for these movies.... To generalize, for a while, it was Shaw vs. Cathay; then, Golden Harvest came in the '70s! Things wouldn't be the same!

I see, seems a bit painful with fs only

Fang Shih-yu
I see, seems a bit painful with fs only

Fine for movies actually shot in 1:33.1 (or near to it); otherwise...well, you know the "worse case" scenarios of "pan and scan"!:tinysmile_angry2_t: Those who don't mind "p&s" must have a STRONG tolerance for pain!:cry: The most readily available "vintage" Asian films would be select Japanese titles from the '40s, including early works of Akira Kurosawa; even as domestic reissues, some are pricey, but something like the Criterion "The Seven Samurai" set is worth the cost. (I plan on getting THAT soon!:tongue:) I'm mainly a Shaw man, myself, but there others I've "dabbled" in, owing to economics! First off, if you've yet to get any with Sammo Hung, then get a copy of "The Magnificent Butcher", "Warriors Two" or "Knockabout" (also Yuen Biao's first starring vehicle)!... Among "miscellaneous" status, titles like "Fearless Fighters" and "7 Grand Masters" are loopy, but fun films!... Many classics are available only as imports, so buying yourself an "all regions" DVD player is one option to check out these movies! Also, with imports, you can even purchase "non-martial-art" Shaw titles, some featuring your favorite actors FROM the "martial arts" titles! Be sure to do research and check for feedback (including any reviews) before putting your money down!:wink:

Jackie Fhan
Fine for movies actually shot in 1:33.1 (or near to it); otherwise...well, you know the "worse case" scenarios of "pan and scan"!:tinysmile_angry2_t: Those who don't mind "p&s" must have a STRONG tolerance for pain!:cry: The most readily available "vintage" Asian films would be select Japanese titles from the '40s, including early works of Akira Kurosawa; even as domestic reissues, some are pricey, but something like the Criterion "The Seven Samurai" set is worth the cost. (I plan on getting THAT soon!:tongue:) I'm mainly a Shaw man, myself, but there others I've "dabbled" in, owing to economics! First off, if you've yet to get any with Sammo Hung, then get a copy of "The Magnificent Butcher", "Warriors Two" or "Knockabout" (also Yuen Biao's first starring vehicle)!... Among "miscellaneous" status, titles like "Fearless Fighters" and "7 Grand Masters" are loopy, but fun films!... Many classics are available only as imports, so buying yourself an "all regions" DVD player is one option to check out these movies! Also, with imports, you can even purchase "non-martial-art" Shaw titles, some featuring your favorite actors FROM the "martial arts" titles! Be sure to do research and check for feedback (including any reviews) before putting your money down!:wink:

Yes sammo is one I want to get a lot of his movies. it is hard with some of these people being in so many movies and not knowing which one are small parts and cameos. I even got his kung fu chefs that was released recently. It was ok not reallly great. Had some interesting parts. I will look into buying those movies as you say. I order foreign films as well, don't have a region free dvd player yet though.

I have also yet to get any kurosawa movies, I want to get them as they are suppose to be fantastic. I know they can be a little more exspensive than the rest, a reason I have not got them yet :)

are those 20th century fox sammo movies on amazon ok to get?

Fang Shih-yu
I really enjoy movies like 36th chamber, come drink with me and drunken master. Great films. I am probably up to about 250 asian films, and would love for that count to go up, I guess the only thing that stops me is funds. :tongue:

Is your Shaw collection like mine: mostly (or all) domestic reissues? You've got your fair share of movies directed by Chang Cheh, then?

Jackie Fhan
Is your Shaw collection like mine: mostly (or all) domestic reissues? You've got your fair share of movies directed by Chang Cheh, then?

Yeah, I mostly have blu ray releases from china, easier to deal with when they are region free etc

I will show you a list of movies I have (for the most part, My newer stuff I havent uploaded to the site). I actually have those sammo movies but forgot what I had, cause I got them years ago and they have been in storage cause I had been moving. I haven't taken them out of the box with all my other movies. Just my recent purchases are out untill I have a place for them.

its just hard to know what is good out there sometimes, with 1,000s of movies and you see some of them getting talked about on different basis.

This list is probably missing about 50 or so titles, but lately movies I have really enjoyed were those I listed earlier. 36th chamber surpirsed me with how good it was and really got me back into wanting to find a lot of the great movies again.

http://darth-germany.dvdaf.com/wish-list/owned-asian

Atm also, I am updating that list with what I have now :)

Fang Shih-yu

Not a bad sampling at all of some of your collection! Have you "The Magnificent Trio"? It's the earliest Chang Cheh film available stateside AND it's an adaptation of a Japanese film! It's light years away from "The Five Venoms" in many ways! Exceeded my expectations, it's that good!:smile:Highly reccomended!

Jackie Fhan
Not a bad sampling at all of some of your collection! Have you "The Magnificent Trio"? It's the earliest Chang Cheh film available stateside AND it's an adaptation of a Japanese film! It's light years away from "The Five Venoms" in many ways! Exceeded my expectations, it's that good!:smile:Highly reccomended!

I have not got that one yet, I just watched the 5 venoms today, it was good but wasn't as good as a few other movies I watched recently. My Young Auntie stood out to me, House of traps was very unique as well. I added Magnificent Trio to my list, my wish list is probably close to 600 :tinysmile_angry2_t:

A lot of my movies I have I haven't watched.. like Matrial Club, Challenge of the Masters, Heaven and Hell, Brothers Five, The heoric One and so on. What should I watch first?

If you haven't seen them, Lust Caution is one of my most favorite movies of the last two years, along with movies such as the Black Scorpion.

Anyone else care to share their collections? I would rather enjoy seeing them.

Some of them have dubtitles.

Jackie Fhan
Some of them have dubtitles.

Yeah, I don't have to have dubs, just dont want anything cut/edited.

Yeah, I don't have to have dubs, just dont want anything cut/edited.

What I mean is, some of them have subtitles that correspond to the English dub, and aren't translations of the original language.

Jackie Fhan
What I mean is, some of them have subtitles that correspond to the English dub, and aren't translations of the original language.

Well that is fine I guess. Do they still have the original language?

masterofoneinchpunch
Yes sammo is one I want to get a lot of his movies. it is hard with some of these people being in so many movies and not knowing which one are small parts and cameos. I even got his kung fu chefs that was released recently. It was ok not reallly great. Had some interesting parts. I will look into buying those movies as you say. I order foreign films as well, don't have a region free dvd player yet though.

I have also yet to get any kurosawa movies, I want to get them as they are suppose to be fantastic. I know they can be a little more exspensive than the rest, a reason I have not got them yet :)

Yes the Kurosawa films are fantastic. His most famous are his Jidai Geki films such as Yojimbo (one of my favorite films), Seven Samurai and many more. But he has many other fine films (that really don't fit this category of MA) such as Ikiru. The Criterion releases are certainly worth it, but definitely expensive.

My collection is here: http://masterofoneinchpunch.dvdaf.com/ (still missing a few hundred)

As mentioned with the Fox/Fortune Star releases you have to go by a case by case basis. The best link for all pertinent info is here: http://adg.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=1801&hl=warriors+two

Jackie Fhan

That is a nice list, how did you split up your dvds so easily? I do that phsyically, but not sure how to do it on the site.

You have a good list and a good amount of them are in my wish list, I sometimes feel like waiting for the next blu ray release, but I guess if the movie is there to get might as well get them as the dvd upscaled doesn't always look that far off from a lot of the Blu Rays anyways, and just re buy the ones I really like.

a

Maybe one day I'll get lucky and find the Kurosawas on ebay or something.

masterofoneinchpunch
That is a nice list, how did you split up your dvds so easily? I do that phsyically, but not sure how to do it on the site.

You have a good list and a good amount of them are in my wish list, I sometimes feel like waiting for the next blu ray release, but I guess if the movie is there to get might as well get them as the dvd upscaled doesn't always look that far off from a lot of the Blu Rays anyways, and just re buy the ones I really like.

a

Maybe one day I'll get lucky and find the Kurosawas on ebay or something.

Sometimes you can find Kurosawa's used at like FYE or any other place that sells used. The only issue is that you may find an older release of Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, High and Low than the latest Criterion release.

On DVDAF look at the top menu. Look at My Home and next to it "My Folders" click on that and a pop-up comes up for Folder Maintenance. This is where you do all the creating, removing, modifying of your folders. I have ratings for all in my Asian movie thread, but really there are so many different genres and great films for each one that we all spend a lifetime watching :).

There are many good mentions already in this thread (The Magnificent Trio, Challenge of the Masters) but maybe you want to go with the most well known first from different genres like The One-Armed Swordsman, all the Bruce Lee films, at least one Zatoichi film, one Lone Wolf and Cub etc...

Jackie Fhan

Yeah, I'll get them, just finished the Heroic ones was very good and I guess I should get use to the ones you don't want to die getting killed in these movies lol..

How many Zatochi movies is there? I know there is atleast 2 or 3 and maybe more?? I have heard of Zatochi and Lone wolf and cub but haven't gotten them yet, I have one of the Zatochi movies but not sure where it falls in with the rest, other than I believe it is the new one.

Used can be ok a lot of the times, and other times well you know how some treat their stuff:cry:

I'll try and get these suggestions from this thread in my next buying spree which will be another month away. I also want to get The Blade with that group as I keep hearing good things on that and its decently cheap.

I do have Challenge of the Masters, just haven't watched it yet. ALso, these should be at my dads house now, where I get them shipped.

Black Magic 2

The Cave of the Silken Web

THe Boxers Omen

The Killer

Planet Terror

These are from amazon and are domestic

and these are from China.

Queens of Langkasuka (Blu-ray) (English Subtitled) (Taiwan Version) 1 1 18.99 18.99

As Tears Go By (Blu-ray) (Hong Kong Version) 1 1 24.99 24.99

Little Big Soldier (Blu-ray) (Hong Kong Version)

Off to work soon, its been great talking with you guys, look forward to it in the future :)

Fang Shih-yu

So long as you don't wind up with one defective copy after another like I did, the Blu-ray of "The Delightful Forest" is a must-have! The Mandarin and English soundtracks are ORIGINAL, unlike on the DVD! It's a "pre-quel" to "The Water Margin", and it has one of Ti Lung's best roles ever! The one lady in it, Yu Feng, is REALLY sexy!:bigsmile:

Jackie Fhan

Ha, I thought that about the one in Five Elements, and of course My Young Auntie, is she better than those ;)

I have the Water Margin also, I haven't watched it yet. I will wait for my copy of Delightful Forest to get back in, I got the defective one as well. Water Margin is one of those I have put up though.. curious to see The Silken Web, I'll get getting that from my dads house on my way home from work.

I'll probably watch Challenge of the Masters next. I'll have to look through and see what I haven't watched and get caught up on waht I have.

BTW, I noticed you had red cliff in your owned, you know that hours worth of movie was cut from that from the chinese release? You may have knew that, but just wanted to make sure. I am going to order the hong kong blu rays later on.

Fang Shih-yu
Ha, I thought that about the one in Five Elements, and of course My Young Auntie, is she better than those ;)
Yu Feng in "TDF" has [at least] more sizzle than Kara Hui...and I LIKE Kara Hui!:kiss: The lady ninja in "Five Element Ninjas" is cute, even with that '80s hair!:wink:

...curious to see The Silken Web

It's like a "PG-13" story from "Heavy Metal" magazine!:wink: The opening location shots are extraordinary!:nerd:

Jackie Fhan

I'll be watching that soon, hope not to have a problem with this new disc.

I don't understand how to add folders to my dvdaf movie listing. It shows two slots, that I already have apparently, and it has arrows to the side, not sure what to do.

masterofoneinchpunch
I'll be watching that soon, hope not to have a problem with this new disc.

I don't understand how to add folders to my dvdaf movie listing. It shows two slots, that I already have apparently, and it has arrows to the side, not sure what to do.

If you want a new folder, enter in the desired folder name in the first of the two empty text fields in the "owned" section and just above the "on order" section. After entering in the data click on the Submit button. Then you can add movies to whatever folder you have created. You can use the numbers to sort the folders (and delete).

Don't worry about the arrows yet (for Leveling, explained a bit below), those are just used to declare something as a child folder. If you look at mine I have:

asia (393) -- this is a total of this folder only; not everything underneath it.

asia/hong-kong-legends (10)

asia/shaw-brothers (68)

asia/thai (17)

so in the Folder Maintenance hong-kong-legends and shaw-brothers would be associated with asia. But to make it easy just enter a few directories and play with the arrow buttons.

Jackie Fhan

I see, yeah I fixed a few. I couldn't understand it at first and they didn't have any directions. A little odd set up they have for that I think. How do I leave star reviews and stuff? Anyways, thanks for all the help.

I watched Challenge of the Masters, very good film (loved the 2 year training session and that guy did a great job as the master) but I think I preferred The Heroic ones a little more, the 13 generals, the battles they had, and especially the way he fought his way out with his dad was simply great.

The 13th general and the 11th? What other movies are they in? Also, what movies was the master in from challenge of the masters? Sorry, not so sure with their names.

BTW master, I noticed you had red cliff in your owned, you know that hours worth of movie was cut from that from the chinese release? You may have knew that, but just wanted to make sure. I am going to order the hong kong blu rays later on

masterofoneinchpunch
I see, yeah I fixed a few. I couldn't understand it at first and they didn't have any directions. A little odd set up they have for that I think. How do I leave star reviews and stuff? Anyways, thanks for all the help.

I watched Challenge of the Masters, very good film (loved the 2 year training session and that guy did a great job as the master) but I think I preferred The Heroic ones a little more, the 13 generals, the battles they had, and especially the way he fought his way out with his dad was simply great.

The 13th general and the 11th? What other movies are they in? Also, what movies was the master in from challenge of the masters? Sorry, not so sure with their names.

BTW master, I noticed you had red cliff in your owned, you know that hours worth of movie was cut from that from the chinese release? You may have knew that, but just wanted to make sure. I am going to order the hong kong blu rays later on

RE: Red Cliff: actually Magnolia put out two different versions of Red Cliff for R1 release. One was the US Theatrical Version (cut big time) and the other has both parts uncut. I got the two parter of course.

To do star ratings and leave comments per film -> Click on the folder directory you want to modify (under owned; if I wanted to modify my thai directory I would go here http://masterofoneinchpunch.dvdaf.com/owned/asia/thai). Click on the link under the movie image. A small pop-up menu will appear. Choose "Edit Custom Info" and a new screen will show (you can modify a lot). If the "Edit Custom Info" is there but doesn't allow you to click you have chosen a movie that is not in your owned directory.

517AsVqBCSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51rjM3fK7gL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jackie Fhan

thanks, still took a min to find it. I wish they would let you map star ratings in, with light grey boxes till your ready to rate so you didnt have to do so much clicking for each film.

Archived