shaolin & wutang ??????????????

shaolin swords

shaolin swords

in the movie shaolin & wutang gordon liu is using the kung fu style (i think its called) chi kang fist boxing the style is based on hiting all the major pressure points in the human body.i been looking for a book to read about this style and cant find any thing on it.just wanted to know is this a real kung fu style and does any body know where i can find a book about this style.thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mistertpitydafoo
in the movie shaolin & wutang gordon liu is using the kung fu style (i think its called) chi kang fist boxing the style is based on hiting all the major pressure points in the human body.i been looking for a book to read about this style and cant find any thing on it.just wanted to know is this a real kung fu style and does any body know where i can find a book about this style.thanks

Find a sifu. Honestly you can only learn so much from a book unless you have the basics of the style such as stances etc. Plus a book will show you just the finishing movement but not the transitions. You need a teacher to observe and correct you. You will gain many bad habits practicing on your own that your teacher could point out.

Most likely it is a real style or based on a real style. How effective it is? I don't know, but I can tell you it will be very very hard to base your entire fighting on hitting nothing but pressure points on a moving resisting target. It is one thing doing it to a dummy, another with fists and kicks coming and the guy moving (and if you are off by just a lil, you miss the pressure point). Supposedly you can hit them in the correct spot and mess them up badly but it's not an easy fix as far as knowing how to fight with kicks/punches vs hitting inch targets in critical areas.

Find a sifu near by to teach you or maybe a local martial arts "club" that trains in the park or in someones garage. You need someone with experience who can correct you and it is a lot more motivating to have your kung fu brothers and sisters encouraging you to keep your stance a lil lower for longer, etc, when on your own you might give up.

I started learning Wah Lum Tam Tui Northern Praying Mantis almost three years ago and am so glad I made the decision to join. If you love kung fu movies, you will love going to a traditional kung fu school. Just check out the school and know going in if they are northern (generally more feet than hands and more acrobatic-horses) or southern (generally more hands than feet and more stable stances low kicks, fought on boats and wetland where high kicks would make you slip) and if they are wushu or a more traditional combat based. Wushu is more for show with a lot of flashy moves, while the combat ones are more practical. Depends if you want to know how to fight or if you want to just learn forms and weapons. Make sure they do full contact sparring if you want to learn to fight because you can punch the air for ten years and still not know how to handle a moving resisting human being. Trust me it's one thing to grab the air like it's an arm and pull it in as you punch, while on a real person they are pulling their arm back faster than they put it out.

Good luck on your journey!

Ben

The Amazing Psycho Per

Maybe you've got it spelled wrong. It's probably some sort of movie version of Qi Gong (or Chi Kung) he's practicing. I haven't seen the movie in a while...

mistertpitydafoo
Maybe you've got it spelled wrong. It's probably some sort of movie version of Qi Gong (or Chi Kung) he's practicing. I haven't seen the movie in a while...

Yeah it could be. But chi kung is basically just sitting still breathing (and other techniques which lead to that "iron armor" type of skills), it is like tai chi but you don't move around, just meditate. I will try to ask my sifu sometime if such a real style exists.

Attacking pressure points and qi channels are part of every style of Chinese martial art, but it's a pretty advanced technique. As I was taught, it's used in conjunction with punching, kicking, wrestling and joint locking---not in place of those things. I just got a brief introduction to it though, so I'm not very knowledgeable about it. I don't believe there's any style that only uses those those types of attacks.

Here's a book that covers it a bit:

http://www.amazon.com/Taiji-Chin-Na-Taijiquan-Internal/dp/0940871378/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274379435&sr=1-1#noop

If you click on the "look inside this book", you can read an overview of the theories behind it on page 2.

Archived