Why Born Invincible is one AWFUL movie!

Ninja Sinai

we see as the worst aspects in Kung Fu Cinema:

worst aspect of kung fu cinema and thats coming from a kung fu fan, what a joke, i can understand opinions on a movie but to diss that whole genre makes no sense to me

• Like 1

Guest Markgway

Either you're genuinely stupid in which case I'm wasting my time or you're just trying to wind me up in which case I'm wasting my time.

Either way I'm wasting my time.

David Rees

Very average film. Not helped by the god-awful English dubbing.

Carter Wong is a very good martial artist, but average at on-screen fighting , as we know there is a big difference between the two..

• Like 1

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee

I think we can conclude by saying that there are two different ways to appreciate kung fu:

Viewing the films objectively, focusing mainly on how well made the film is, the quality of action and plot, and the print of the film.

Subjectively focusing on nostalgic or escapist elements so will look for creativity, aesthetics, and suprise.

I think we're all somewhere on the scale and can appreciate the films on both levels to some degree. Born Invincible will divide our views but there is no way we can argue out of it!

• Like 1

Fang Shih-yu
I think we can conclude by saying that there are two different ways to appreciate kung fu:

Viewing the films objectively, focusing mainly on how well made the film is, the quality of action and plot, and the print of the film.

Subjectively focusing on nostalgic or escapist elements so will look for creativity, aesthetics, and suprise.

I think we're all somewhere on the scale and can appreciate the films on both levels to some degree. Born Invincible will divide our views but there is no way we can argue out of it!

You are wise beyond your years, Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee!:wink:

• Like 1

silver hermit
To each his own, I like the film and find Carter's voice funny as hell.

you should hear the mandarin version LOL

• Like 1

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
Civil war!!!!

DESTROY THE INFIDELS!!!

I like Carter Wong and hate the Long brothers. Nevr seen this flick. Sounds like I'm not missing much.

• Like 1

Fang Shih-yu
To each his own, I like the film and find Carter's voice funny as hell.

Chen Kuan Tai's English voice on Heroes Two sounds like a South Park character, while Fu Sheng's English voice for Fang Shih-yu would be more appropiate for Hung Tsi Kwan!:tongue:

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
Chen Kuan Tai's English voice on Heroes Two sounds like a South Park character, while Fu Sheng's English voice for Fang Shih-yu would be more appropiate for Hung Tsi Kwan!:tongue:

Yeah, I thought Chen Kuan Tai should have shared voices with Wong Ching, just as Fu Sheng shared dubber with Fung Hark-on. The voice for Chen is awful - shame, because otherwise its quite a good dub job.

• Like 1

Fang Shih-yu
Yeah, I thought Chen Kuan Tai should have shared voices with Wong Ching, just as Fu Sheng shared dubber with Fung Hark-on. The voice for Chen is awful - shame, because otherwise its quite a good dub job.

Indeed, Killer Meteor! It's one of a select few English dubs that I get as much enjoyment from as any "original language" soundtracks!

• Like 1

Also Carter 'Watermelon' Wong is a poor screen fighter and cannot handle the intricate type of Choroegraphy the Yuens are renowned for he just lumbers around on flailing his arms around

I am in complete agreement. I never liked Wong in any choreographed fights. He is actually quite annoying to watch in this movie (during his fight scenes).

• Like 1

skillz masta5

well i think born invincible was an ok movie , i dont care too much for Carter Wong but i liked him in this movie...my opinion. Now i dont think the movie was awful there are plenty of movies that got this movie beat when it comes to awfulness....im just saying

• Like 1

I'm far from being Carter Wong's biggest fan but I like Born Invincible. Not as bad as many seem to think of it! Just my opinion.

• Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker
I'm far from being Carter Wong's biggest fan but I like Born Invincible. Not as bad as many seem to think of it! Just my opinion.

I know right?? I've seen far far worse, Born Invincible is pretty good, and I'm a huge huge Carter Wong fan.... You can put Carter Wong in any movie and it'll be that much better....

• Like 1

You can put Carter Wong in any movie and it'll be that much better....

Wouldn't go that far :nerd: but I don't dislike most of his movies!

• Like 1

Shaolin Chamber 36

It has been so many years since I've seen this film, I wonder if after watching it now, if my opinion on it would remain the same. Who has the widescreen print of this, I must see this movie at once. :)

• Like 1

prinnysquad

Close the door on your way out. :wink:

EDPF is my fave MA film I've seen to date, but obviously if you don't like it, you don't like it. Fair enough!

• Like 1

Carter Wong knows proper southern kung fu. He is not just flailing his arms about without ryhthm. He's a southern stylist descended from Lam Sai Wing lineage IRL; high kicks are not a predominant part of his style. At best he breathes correctly, he uses handwork correctly & issues power correctly, he's not acrobatic, handsome, or a great screenfighter unless you're looking properly and see the truth behind what he's doing. It's not just play stuff or pretty... it's pretty admirable once you look a bit from the inside. This is proper:

So far as 8 Diagram's opening goes, I think you're looking at it the wrong way round... I don't think that set is a played down/cheapo take on reality, I assumed they're going for an extra-elaborate take on the bare soundstage opening tradition you see of the time. Think in the trend/theme of Disciples or Executioners of Shaolin, etc opening, just bigger/bolder. So far as editing mistakes there - too much good stuff there over bad imo. You realise the intro choreo segues the moves of each brother into one as it introduces them fighting, cementing the unity of the family as each proceeds with the last move of the previous in action; it looks like one fighter, when it is all. No one else was attempting stuff like this.

• Like 1

peringaten
Yeah I already knew that, that is why I said ON SCREEN FIGHTER. I didn't need his bio. I know he is a real life martial artist. His fighting onscreen is ugly-as-fuck, I don't care what you say. ALOT of people agree with me. He is a horrible kungfu actor. He DOES flail his arms about and makes funny faces, while stomping about. Have you seen the way he fights in a movie? Im talking about his MOVIES, not his real-life training. Give me a break. There are other real-life martial artists who can still look graceful onscreen. John Liu comes to mind. And Im not just talking about kicking.

And I was waiting for the 8diagram venom to spew my way. I know of LKLs bare soundstage intros. Dirty Ho and LWOC are 2 of my all-time favorite openings. Did you see the golden blade just fall off? This was weak to me and you just seem to want to ignore the negatives, just because its considered a LKL classic. The movie is flawed GALORE (even for a kungfu movie) and I don't understand how most folks consider this 1 of the best. Fu Shengs screaming, crying, and trying hard to be crazy is just annoying and makes me want to turn it off. I only said the 1st half is terrible.

Jeez, I thought I was being civil; up for a debate on the pros/cons. You're one narky mofo.
  • Like 1

peringaten

Ok, I agree not a great screenfighter, stated earlier, but reason I mention background is just to highlight that when onscreen this background is not hidden, it does come out in every move, whether in the realm of movie fu or not. The old school kung representatives all reveal their roots in action, to the point where you can almost tell who does what, or who knows what, regardless of choreographer. It took me a while to notice this. It depends on what you're looking for as to whether you find someone appealing or not. For me Carter OK; John Liu, no ta, not really my bag (depends how you define martial artist). This vid (1st 30 secs only, after is some weird puppet stuff) sums up Carter's acting range:

8 Diagram briefly, yes Fu Sheng is histrionic, & I'm not overlooking lesser points, for instance all the bodies that get felled in that opening (like 100 or so!)... and then no bodies littering the floor. It's just theatre, almost Peking opera tradition. For better or for worse; up to you. The blade may fly for a split second, but the general amount of attn to detail & fight continuity rather than props continuity is exceptional & unparalleled; particularly in the emotion coursing through it.

Camp is a huge part of the genre whether we like it or not. I can't get hung up on things like minor errors or suspensions of disbelief (backward roof jumps anyone) when kung is so accutely observed like in the best of the oldschool. Schlock is part and parcel of even the best; the films offer something different to typical standards of other genre film convention. I notice far more as a kung practitioner than I did before, and my tastes have changed to the physical accordingly. So much treasure in the old school even in the shittest efforts.

• Like 1

TheFlyingPanda

Born Invincible is a fun watch for me, not the best, but definitely cool. Of course it's not the definitive version without the original audio, and in it's original aspect ratio. The voices are just the annoying English dub. The day we see it in it's original glory will be the day we can appreciated it and place it in it's proper position amongst the old school classics.

• Like 1