Deadly Duo blu-ray shipping...

OldPangYau

OldPangYau

I completely forgot that I pre-ordered this back in January before it was first delayed. Suddenly I got an e-mail from deepdiscount.com today saying that it's shipped and should be here between the 14th and 19th. I'm sure someone else will get it beforehand, but I can at least confirm it wasn't delayed again :tongue:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol - I was just going to post that HK Flix has this in stock :nerd:

Would love a quick review once you get the disc.

OldPangYau
lol - I was just going to post that HK Flix has this in stock :nerd:

Would love a quick review once you get the disc.

Will do, but like I said, someone may still beat me to the punch... especially if they get a review disc. Deepdiscount.com isn't the fastest, but that's what happens when you get free shipping :tongue: However, the cover already says 1080p, so that's a positive start, at least compared to Well Go and Dragon Dynasty SB releases. I'm hoping it's on par with Opium and the Kung Fu Master.

Fang Shih-yu
...1080p, so that's a positive start, at least compared to Well Go and Dragon Dynasty SB releases. I'm hoping it's on par with Opium and the Kung Fu Master.

Hopes are certainly high with "The Deadly Duo" (and the up-coming "Heroes Two")! If any delays were due to fine tuning that should yield little or no defective copies, then it is WORTH it! As nice as it was for Well Go to replace my bad "The Delightful Forest" BD, it wouldn't have happened if they labored on the end product more! MB/TS should have a hit on their hands!:bigsmile:

The Dragon
Will wait for a positive review before placing my order.

+1!

Would love to hear feedback!

:nerd:

OldPangYau

Unlike Well Go and DD, I have a bit more faith in MB/TS and their blu-rays. I think all of MB's blu-rays so far have been 1080p, so Deadly Duo should be 99% safe in that area, at least. It's just a matter of whether or not it looks good to begin with. While Opium and the Kung Fu Master looked good, I think that was from 1984. The Deadly Duo, on the other hand, is from around 1971 (I believe), so let's see what happens...

In a way, these Blu-Rays can be good for correcting stuff that was iffy on the DVD (namely 'Heroes Two' - I've sent a list to MB).

Are there still embedded interlacing artefacts on David Chiang's featurette?

OldPangYau
Not a detailed review, but this gives me hope that this is a good blu-ray:

AV Maniacs Forum Post

The reviewer basically did what I was going to do, and test out comparing the original DVD upconverted on the PS3 and then the blu-ray. And I also didn't think it'd look quite as good as the OATKFM blu-ray, but I chalked that up to age difference rather than blu-ray issues. I hope to get my copy soon!

Jackie Fhan

Yeah, I am waiting for amazon to get it in. I hope it is better than Gos outting...

Either way, I hope they start to release these movies much quicker and for blu rays to go down in price in general.

OldPangYau
Yeah, I am waiting for amazon to get it in. I hope it is better than Gos outting...

Either way, I hope they start to release these movies much quicker and for blu rays to go down in price in general.

Well, if rightstuf.com is anything to go by, their release of Iron Bodyguards will be their first "day and date" DVD and blu-ray simultaneous release. Aside from Heroes Two, I'm still curious to see what other of their previous Shaw releases will get blu-rays. Obviously only the ones with true HD masters.

Jackie Fhan
Well, if rightstuf.com is anything to go by, their release of Iron Bodyguards will be their first "day and date" DVD and blu-ray simultaneous release. Aside from Heroes Two, I'm still curious to see what other of their previous Shaw releases will get blu-rays. Obviously only the ones with true HD masters.

Well, I am enjoying what I have gotten so far. So many shaw movies its hard to know what to get.

I am still waiting for my corrected disc of delightful forrest to get in the mail. Interesting movie from what I have seen of it.

OldPangYau

Yay for there FINALLY being another 1080p SB blu-ray! While it seems slightly edge enhanced, it still looks better than blowing up the SD capture! I certainly look forward to seeing how Heroes Two turns out next. Fingers crossed it actually comes out next month!

OldPangYau

Well, at just about two weeks later, my copy finally arrived! Much like what you saw in the screencaps, the picture does look a tad edge enhanced. However, I decided to test out turning the sharpness on my TV all the way down to "0" (it was at 75 to start), and it actually helped! I know turning the sharpness down sounds like it's counterproductive to HD, but it actually helped to balance it out, and no detail was lost in the process. In short, it's a good looking blu-ray, and certainly miles better than Dragon Dynasty's 36th Chamber blu-ray!

And finally... 1080p 24fps, just the way it's supposed to be :tongue:

I am really looking forward to seeing what Media Blasters will pull off with Heroes Two. I'm hoping that unlike the DVD, it'll also be in 1080p/24fps. The cover already says 1080p, so that's a start :wink:

Kung Foolery

I believe most HDTVs, at least plasmas, should be calibrated with sharpness turned either way down or off altogether.

The sharpness on my plasma is set at 5.

OldPangYau
I believe most HDTVs, at least plasmas, should be calibrated with sharpness turned either way down or off altogether.

The sharpness on my plasma is set at 5.

Well there you go :tongue: Overall, I'm very happy with how this turned out. Lord knows we've been getting bombarded with sub-par SB blu-rays (DD's 36th Chamber blu-ray and the Well Go blu-rays), so this was a breath of fresh air. Too bad BCI isn't still around, otherwise we might even have had Hong Kong Godfather on blu-ray :sad:

Kung Foolery

Speaking of which, and calibration,

I watched this last night, great stuff (what a finish!).

A question:

I know someone above mentioned the blood in this movie was a little brighter than normal.

Did anybody else notice a lot of very, very bright red throughout the whole movie? Such as the carpet, tablecloths, etc?

I've been trying to calibrate my tv correctly, and I noticed how red the reds looked, might be the film itself?

Thanks.

Wheat Thin Man
Well there you go :tongue: Overall, I'm very happy with how this turned out. Lord knows we've been getting bombarded with sub-par SB blu-rays (DD's 36th Chamber blu-ray and the Well Go blu-rays), so this was a breath of fresh air. Too bad BCI isn't still around, otherwise we might even have had Hong Kong Godfather on blu-ray :sad:

Not to mention Life Gamble.

OldPangYau
Not to mention Life Gamble.

True, that one might've even had a blu-ray master disc made for all we know... it was THAT close! Hell, BCI got the DVD release out with Opium and the Kung Fu Master, but only the blu-ray of OATKFM made it out... but you had to hunt for it. Thankfully I have a copy :wink:

Wheat Thin Man
True, that one might've even had a blu-ray master disc made for all we know... it was THAT close! Hell, BCI got the DVD release out with Opium and the Kung Fu Master, but only the blu-ray of OATKFM made it out... but you had to hunt for it. Thankfully I have a copy :wink:

I have a copy too. Deep Discount still has them available, actually.

OldPangYau

That's where I got mine... and for a decent price too! While their shipping is slow as hell, I'll admit their prices are damn good. Saved $10 on the Deadly Duo blu-ray!

Kung Foolery

Says out of stock.

Has been for awhile.

Archived