Circle of Pain (2010)

AlbertV

I just came across this upcoming MMA film. It's one of the latest Tapout presents films and this time, the star looks to be former world karate champion Tony Schiena. The MMA fighters include Kimbo Slice, Heath Herring, Frank Mir, and Roger Huerta.

The fight choreographer this time is a longtime veteran stuntman, Arnold Chon. I've seen some of Chon's martial arts skills and they are quite impressive. I've never seen him tackle the MMA genre so right now it picks my curiosity, but I hope it fares better than the Echavarria MMA films.

Plot according to the film's official website:

Following an in-ring accident, Matt Hunt (Tony Schiena) retired from the world of mixed martial arts at the top of his game. Unable to outrun his guilt, he lost his family, his title, and his way. But when a crooked promoter lures him back into a fight against the current undefeated champ, Patrick "The Brick" Wahle, Matt must enlist the aid of an enigmatic trainer to turn him back into a warrior so he can stand tall and do battle once again.

The movie comes to DVD on August 15, 2010.

LGE_D28323D.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The movie is already out. Major improvement over the Hector Echavarria-MMA starrers...they lessened the eroticism for the most part and upped the drama and action. Tony Schiena is a great martial artist (a former world karate champion) and his lead role here is much better than The Number One Girl. What I didn't like too much was that Heath Herring looked like a poor white version of Mr. T's Rocky III character. Arnold Chon did a good job though with the fights...the seasoned martial artist and stuntman vet definitely did his homework.

Of course another flaw: the constantly mislabeled DVD cover art. Kimbo Slice, Frank Mir, and Roger Huerta only have small and supporting roles.

Full review on the main page

http://www.kungfucinema.com/review-circle-of-pain-2010-14888

Archived