Movies Not On DVD

MattC

I've been wondering about this for awhile now and I am hoping, if at all possible someone might have information about this. Would anyone happen to know of any martial art movies that have not been released "officially" on dvd? I know it might sound a little weird but I have a thing for collecting movies that have never been put out on dvd. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you serious? There's tons and tons of Kung fu and HK films that aren't on DVD. And there's many films that haven't even been released on English friendly VHS or VCD either. I'd love to see an English dubbed DVD release of COSA NOSTRA ASIA. THE WARRIOR (aka Jaka Sembung) 4 & 5 only exist on Malay VCD, I'd love to see those too. "Tons". :nerd:

i know what you mean but as Jack said there numbers are countless, before you have even considered films with limited release in non-english VCD or laserdisc.. i'm interested in alot of obscure 80s and early 90s action/police dramas from HK & Taiwan that weren't even properly released on VHS.. maybe if you could narrow down a particular category of films, or era, or actors, that might give you something to work with

Are you serious? There's tons and tons of Kung fu and HK films that aren't on DVD. And there's many films that haven't even been released on English friendly VHS or VCD either. I'd love to see an English dubbed DVD release of COSA NOSTRA ASIA. THE WARRIOR (aka Jaka Sembung) 4 & 5 only exist on Malay VCD, I'd love to see those too. "Tons". :nerd:

Of course I'm serious. I wouldn't waste my time posting something on here if I wasn't serious. With that being said, I'm not a hardcore collector of videos like some are on here and considering I'm quite new to it I have no idea what is out there on dvd. It would seem like to me that there would be some kind of a site that would have information like this to help the fans and collectors. I mostly like collecting Ninja videos but I think I have a pretty good idea on what's out there on that subject. So I thought I would move on to something different

kungfusamurai

Your request is unusual. You say you want to collect movies but then you want to know what hasn't been released on DVD. Are you hoping to turn a profit on these titles? Many titles that haven't been released on DVD might be circulating as bootleg DVDRs from VHS sources.

I can give you a couple of titles that were not officially released on DVD, but they have been circulating as bootleg DVDRs: To Kill A Mastermind, and I Will Finally Knock You Down, Dad. Both are Shaw Bros films.

If you have titles or actors or directors in mind, you can easily just browse Amazon.com, Yesasia, or HKFlix.com or any other online retailer to see if specific titles have been released in whatever format.

KFS

Are you hoping to turn a profit on these titles?

Not at all. If there's movies out there that more than likely will never see a release on dvd then why not go ahead buy them on video tape and transfer them over to disc before they lose anymore of their quality? When I start collecting videos of a certain genre I go for the hard ones first and to me it don't get any harder than obtaining a video that isn't even out "officially" on dvd. I've been out about 3 or 4 hundred dollars in just the last couple of months on 9 or 10 video tapes of Sho Kosugi just so I could transfer them to disc so future fans can enjoy them because they will never be put on dvd any other way. Just because a person asks a question that obviously to people on this forum seems unusual doesn't mean they want to "turn a profit". I could very well do something like that but before I do that I would set on what I have and never come off of it

kungfusamurai

You might want to check out websites like Vomit bag video and falkor's rare kung fu films - I can't remember the URL for that. They sell custom DVDs (AKA DVDRs) of films that most likely never made it to DVD, but were released on VHS at some point in the past. You can use Amazon to cross reference titles, since they seem to keep discontinued DVDs on file years after they're unavailable so people can sell their used copies.

KFS

Archived