Commando Remake...

HyperDrive

http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/fox-to-remake-famed-schwarzenegger-pic/

20th Century Fox is going Commando again, setting David Ayer to write and direct a reboot of the 1985 film that became one of the building blocks that transformed Arnold Schwarzenegger from bodybuilder to superstar. Erwin Stoff and John Davis will produce the new version.

Ayer is the former Navy soldier who wrote Training Day and moved into directing with the dark dramas Harsh Times and Street Kings. He will put his own real-world spin on this original premise: a retired elite special forces operative sees his daughter kidnapped and is told she’ll die unless he gets on a plane and kills the rival of a nasty exiled dictator. In the original, Schwarzenegger jumped off the plane before takeoff, and killed everyone involved in the kidnap plot, in a real beefcake turn that followed Terminator. Ayer’s protagonist will be less brawny, but more skilled in covert tactics and weaponry. Hopefully the new version will hang onto some of the fun spirit of the original, the first of several film collaborations between Schwarzenegger and producer Joel Silver where they blew up everything in sight. Rae Dawn Chong played the flighty flight attendant who became the commando's reluctant accomplice, Dan Hedaya played the diabolical dictator, and a young Alyssa Milano played the kidnapped daughter.

It's the second big reboot of an Arnie action film for Fox. The studio has a July 9 release date on Predators, a new chapter of a franchise launched by Predator, the 1987 Schwarzenegger classic.

Adding a real world spin removes the charm of the original, which really helped define the 80's action movie genre. Also, having the main character be less brawny and use covert tactics and weaponry makes it sound more like an adaptation of Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell or something. Just one of those wait and see things.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dionbrother

Ayers is a terrible writer. More junk from the Karaoke Film Culture that movies have become.

You got a point. Hell, why not just adapt a Splinter Cell novel or one of Richard Marcinko's novels. But Marcinko's books spend time debunking movie myths about bombs and tactics. That would actually be fun.

Fist Of Boss

Now this re-warming old classics has gone too far...I have enjoyed some but there is films which should not be touched and Commando is such...sacrilege:tinysmile_angry2_t:

daisho2004

True Story enough with these Damn remakes already! Damn You To Hell Hollywood!

The Silver Fox

This is a big FAIL.I hate this idea and hope it gets cancelled. Part of Commando's greatness is that it is a product of the 80's. Is Hollywierd really so lacking in creative writers? It seems so, 'cause anything that was the least bit sucessful in the past is being dragged out,CGI'd up and vomitted out for the masses to consume.

Why remake such an awful movie in the first place:wink:

I guess as long as he throws saw blades and some of the most memorable worst one liners in film, it can't be as bad as the other crap hollywad is making at the moment.

HyperDrive
I thought Russians already did that. :)

Look for "Day D" on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS-KAQwyDoc

Awesome. This new Hollywood remake will be the Turkish Star Wars version of Commando then.

I wonder how much mail Arnold's recieved at his government office about Hollywood's plans. There is no excuse for something like this to go beyond brainstorming (even that's too far).

dionbrother

I agree with Tosh. The original sucked canal water. Highlight is the ominous threat of Vernon Wells' knife and beer gut.

Guest Markgway

The original is dumb, campy fun. Badly made, but mindlessly entertaining.

Is Vernon Wells supposed to be so obviously gay?

"Stick it in me Bennett... you know you want to".

Archived