Fu Sheng: His Films At Shaws

David Rees

Following on from my Lau Kar Leung thread i decided to do one for one of my favourite actors the late great Fu Sheng. I have not seen them all so if anyone can fill in the gaps please do so.These are ratings for the films themselves not Fu Sheng's performance which made a lot of film more watchable than they should be!

The Generation Gap (1973) NOT SEEN

Police Force (1973) NOT SEEN

Na Cha the Great (1974) OK film i think his first starring role, light fantasy film certainly watchable. 6 / 10

Shaolin Martial Arts (1974) One of my Chang Cheh directed favourites, great training sequences and a very bloody finale. 9 / 10

Friends (1974) NOT SEEN

Five Shaolin Masters (1974) . Cult favourite with a great cast , a definate re-watchable kung fu classic. 8 / 10

Men from the Monastery (1974) Another in the Chang Cheh shaolin cycle Fu Sheng and Chu Kuan Chun were now a solid partnership and again a great finale with one of the most painful deaths in Shaws catalogue! (Fu Sheng fans will know what i mean). 9 / 10

Heroes Two (1974) Partnered with Chen Kuan Tai this has a story of Hung Tsi Kwan being betrayed unknowingly by Fong Sai Yuk played by Fu Sheng. Choreography a little clunky but a solid effort. 7 / 10

Marco Polo (1975) Fantastic epic and a must see for fans of Chang Cheh. Again Fu Sheng and Chi Kuan Chun join forces to battle the bad guys, one of whom is played by Shaw bad man regular Leung Kar Yan, who went to more starring roles when he left Shaws. Richard Harrison plays the title role in his usual wooden manner! 10 / 10

Disciples of Shaolin (1975) Many have said this is his best film and i can see why. Great performance from Fu Sheng who get caught up in a battle between two cotton mills. Remade as Barefooted Kid years later. 9 / 10

Shaolin Temple (1976) Vast cast in the Shaolin Temple film to end them all, lots of the cast get to shine especially Fu Sheng and this film introduced some of the venoms to the audience. 10 / 10

New Shaolin Boxers (1976) A rare chance to see Choy Li Fut style, as demonstrated superbly by Fu Sheng especially in the title sequence. The film is an ok story of gangland rivalry. 6 / 10

The Shaolin Avengers (1976) A sort of retelling of the same story in Men From The Monastery but told in a refreshing flashback way. Great training and fight scenes. Top notch. 8 / 10

Seven Man Army (1976) OK war film with a good cast but it just falls flat maybe because the budget couldnt match the story that wanted to be told. Guns and empty hand action is well staged. 6 / 10

Boxer Rebellion (1976) Epic tale told about the Boxers of the title who were led to believe they could fend off even bullets. Fu Sheng and his brothers realise the con being evoked and set out to stop it at all costs. Fabulous action, reccomended. 8/10

The Brave Archer (1977) In a way a showcase for Fu Sheng, but i found the story very confusing and un-interesting. Even the action seemed restrained. 5/10

Magnificent Wanderers (1977) Poor effort with a wasted cast, slow, boring and poor choreography. Avoid. 3 / 10

The Naval Commandos (1977) NOT SEEN

Chinatown Kid (1977) Modern day action and a fan favourite. Fu Sheng tries to help his buddy in America but gets caught up in a gang feud. The sets of San Francisco are terrible and the film has dated badly but worth a watch. The HK edit is different and less violent that the western release and that version is not available on dvd . 6 / 10

The Avenging Eagle (1978) Ti Lung and Fu Sheng go head to head in this fabulous film by Sun Chung. Great choreography and cinematography give this a 5 star look, good twisty ending too. 8 /10

The Brave Archer Part II (1978) Similar views to part 1, couldnt really get involved and found it hard to follow. 5 / 10

The Proud Twins (1979) NOT SEEN

The Deadly Breaking Sword (1979) Another Sun Chung swordplay epic which is ok but does drag in places to try and get all the plot twists out. An ok evenings rental. 6 / 10

Life Gamble (1979) Oh dear. What a mess of a film , even the likes of Fu Sheng and Lo Menmg cant save this film from being confusing and boring all at the same time. 3 / 10

Ten Tigers of Kwantung (1979) Apparently filmed in two parts a few years apart this is an entertaining story of the famous Ten Tigers with a good cast including Ti Lung and some of the venoms. 6 / 10

Heaven and Hell (1980) NOT SEEN

Heroes Shed No Tears (1980) NOT SEEN

Return of the Sentimental Swordsman (1981) OK sequel but i found this to be a little predictable and the same as many swordplay films of this period. 5 / 10

The Brave Archer Part III (1981) NOT SEEN

Treasure Hunters (1981) Entertaining film with Fu Sheng starring with his real brother Cheung Chin Pang. The chemistry between them is good even if the script and comedy are a bit on the ott side, probably because Wong Jing was the writer. Good fight choreography saves the day. 6 / 10

My Rebellious Son (1982) Back to form, this is one of Fu Sheng's better later films for Shaws with good support from Ku Feng and great fight scenes by Tong Gai. Seek this one out you will not be dissapointed. 8 / 10

Cat Vs. Rat (1982) Poor cantonese comedy does have its fans and the fights are good but i found it a bit of a drag. 4 / 10

The Brave Archer and His Mate (1982) NOT SEEN

Legendary Weapons of China (1982) As mentioned in my Lau Kar Leung post a classic of its kind with fantastic finale. Fu Sheng's comedy cameo does grate with some people and i can see why. 9 / 10

The Fake Ghost Catchers (1982) NOT SEEN

Hong Kong Playboys (1983) NOT SEEN

Wits of the Brats (1984) NOT SEEN

The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter (1984) Classic. say no more... 10 /10

PHEW!....any comments welcomed!:bigsmile:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

POLICE FORCE - Fu's in it roughly 10 or so minuter, as Wang Chung's ill-fated friend. Nice to see him in an early role (he's far more interesting in his brief screentime than any other in this, IMO), but the film itself is a toothless, routine affair.

FRIENDS - A bit too slow and sentimental for my tastes, but has it's moments. Not essential, but worth seeing.

HK PLAYBOYS - fun, funny flick.

HEAVEN AND HELL - A real mess, but perhaps worth seeing for it's sheer nuttiness!

WITS OF THE BRATS - I believe this was meant to be the sequel to HK PLAYBOYS? Not sure, but I do know Wong Jing used off cuts of Fu after his traigc death. Best avoid!

BRAVE ARCHER AND HIS MATE - Awful!

HEROES SHED NO TEARS - Far too slow and some of the fights are just painful to watch, thanks to far too much poor wire-work.

FAKE GHOST CATCHERS - a lot of fun!!

NAVAL COMMANDOS - BIG let down!!

Needless to say, all this is just my opinion!!

Fist Of Boss

The Generation Gap (1973) NOT SEEN either

Police Force (1973) NOT SEEN either

Na Cha the Great (1974) 4/10...I had trouble going through this one..

Shaolin Martial Arts (1974) good one but not great.outdoor sets and training sequences cool so 7/10

Friends (1974) NOT SEEN either

Five Shaolin Masters (1974) . Cult favourite with a great cast , a definate re-watchable kung fu classic. 8 / 10<---10/10 from me,flawless in every department

Men from the Monastery (1974) great movie,underrated by many.Fu Shengs character has some humour but it does not have feeling it was made up,just natural.9/10

Heroes Two (1974) overrated but not bad film.7,5/10.I like end fight with tibet fighters against fu sheng and ckt

Marco Polo (1975) terrific..9/10

Disciples of Shaolin (1975) Brilliant and not.Movie does not have any good fights but strong storyline and characters make up for it.8/10

Shaolin Temple (1976) Vast cast in the Shaolin Temple film to end them all, lots of the cast get to shine especially Fu Sheng and this film introduced some of the venoms to the audience. 10 / 10<=nuff said

New Shaolin Boxers (1976) A rare chance to see Choy Li Fut style, as demonstrated superbly by Fu Sheng especially in the title sequence. The film is an ok story of gangland rivalry. 6 / 10<=I actually rate this lot higher.Excellent movie with pessimistic end 9-/10 from me.

The Shaolin Avengers (1976)8/10 seems fair...

Seven Man Army (1976)unseen

Boxer Rebellion (1976) masterpiece 8,5/10

The Brave Archer (1977) unseen but own ivl

Magnificent Wanderers (1977) unseen but own ivl

The Naval Commandos (1977) NOT SEEN either

Chinatown Kid (1977) 6,5/10 for happy ending cut,8/10 for proper one

The Avenging Eagle (1978)classy 9.5/10

The Brave Archer Part II (1978) not seen but own it

The Proud Twins (1979) NOT SEEN either but trailer looks promising and I did read good things about it

The Deadly Breaking Sword (1979)not seen

Life Gamble (1979) not seen but own

Ten Tigers of Kwantung (1979) 1st half is great and 2nd not bad..8/10

Heaven and Hell (1980) NOT SEEN...this is trash but I like it.Tonguen on cheek shit:tongue: 9/10...flashbacks with venoms are great kungfu stuff

Heroes Shed No Tears (1980) NOT SEEN either

Return of the Sentimental Swordsman (1981) not seen

The Brave Archer Part III (1981) NOT SEEN either

Treasure Hunters (1981) not seen

My Rebellious Son (1982) not seen

Cat Vs. Rat (1982) 8/10 or so..I like this

The Brave Archer and His Mate (1982) NOT SEEN either

Legendary Weapons of China (1982) far too overrated..only gordon liu is good.5/10

The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter (1984) 8/10..movie is good but there is better.

BlackLamaFaction

Brave Archer 3 is the best of the series by far. The end showdown between Fu Sheng and Lo Mang Is classic. The cast is filled with just about every major star at Shaw Brothers from that period.

Brave Archer and his Mate- While Fu Sheng is in it, he is no longer the main character the title role is now played by Philip Kwok and Fu Sheng plays the son of Philip Kwok's (Kuo Tsing) brother who dies and is now raised by Kwok himself. It is all terribly confusing and seemingly pointless. Fu Sheng then secretly learns frog style kung fu from Western poison (also played by a new character). The sworn enemy and killer of his father. It's not a bad film action wise but it doesn't stand up to the original 3.

This thread reminds me that I've seen far to few Fu Sheng movies. Of the few I have seen I like Shaolin Temple the most.

Fang Shih-yu

Shaolin Martial Arts (1974) 7/10

Heroes Two (1974) 7/10

Marco Polo (1975) 7/10

Disciples of Shaolin (1975) 9/10

The Brave Archer (1977) 8/10

The Deadly Breaking Sword (1979) 10/10

Life Gamble (1979) 8/10

Ten Tigers of Kwantung (1979) 7/10

Heaven and Hell (1980) 6/10

Heroes Shed No Tears (1980) 6/10; Treasure Hunters (1981) 6/10

The Brave Archer and His Mate (1982) 5/10

Legendary Weapons of China (1982) 7/10

Fist Of Boss
Shaolin Martial Arts (1974) 7/10

Heroes Two (1974) 7/10

Marco Polo (1975) 7/10

Disciples of Shaolin (1975) 9/10

The Brave Archer (1977) 8/10

The Deadly Breaking Sword (1979) 10/10

Life Gamble (1979) 8/10

Ten Tigers of Kwantung (1979) 7/10

Heaven and Hell (1980) 6/10

Heroes Shed No Tears (1980) 6/10; Treasure Hunters (1981) 6/10

The Brave Archer and His Mate (1982) 5/10

Legendary Weapons of China (1982) 7/10

Boxer rebellion,5 shaolin masters and shaolin temple are essential.you should get them.

I have all of fu sheng's movies, but I would say his signature role is Chinatown kid and it is definitely a must have, but to me his best role in terms of acting and martial arts got to go to Disciples of Shaolin. This movie had the perfect balance of drama and action, this movie was very well done 10/10.

70's: Chinatown kid, men from the monastery, heroes two, police force, new shaolin boxers, heroes shed no tears, the proud twins, deadly breaking sword, the avenging eagle, The Brave archer I&II, boxer rebellion, friends, shaolin martial arts, na cha, the great, marco polo, and life gamble 9/10

Didn't care for: 5 shaolin master(not a fan of david chiang), ten tigers of kwangtung(cast too big, became boring), shaolin temple(boring), naval commandos(thought david chiang was very annoying and through the show off for me), heaven and hell(too weird) and seven man army(don't care for too much military stuff in kung fu movies) 5/10.

80s: Treasure Hunters, Wits of the Brats(fu sheng was hilarious and I became a fan of his brother's as well: chang chan-peng), Cat Vs Rat, Brave Archer III and The Brave Archer and his mate, Hong Kong Playboys(adore this movie), Fake Ghostcatchers, My Rebellious Son 10/10

Eight Diagram Pole Fighters(was good, but too depressing for me to keep watching for obvious reasons) . So I'll give it a 7/10 the depressing undertone was too much.

MarsHarmony

I have all of Fu Sheng's movies, several copies each, of which I also include the following, The Fourteen Amazons, a "he is there somewhere in one of those huge crowd scenes!", to his brief moments in Thunderbolt Fist and Four Riders, to the many moments in Young People (a really fun film), and the brief but key 'three part' scene in Generation Gap, and those nice little scenes in Man of Iron. His part in Police Force is quick and powerful, and drives the tone of the film.

It would be redundant of me to continue on down the list from here because they all get a 10 from me. I truly love each of his films, any screen time spent with Fu Sheng is always a great experience. He got to work with just about every Shaw star of the times, which adds an added dimension diverse talent to each film, regardless of similarities of plots or motives or whatever. There is not one of his films that I do not enjoy, (or cry at the sad ones every time), so I really don't have a favorite, (Na Cha the Great, is so over criticized, and so under rated! It's a blast). Friends is very good, by the way, Fu Sheng is very good in it, David Chiang is very good in it, one of Chang Cheh's most intimate and moving directions, it's personable to being personal, contained in a 'non tragic yet sometimes dramatic' film.

Fu Sheng kept growing throughout his career and I love watching the levels of progression that he continued to make, even through physical adversity to overcome due to his accidents, but his spirit always shone through, and he fought back and he was only getting better. Watch them all, but that is just my opinion, I don't even pretend to be objective because I don't want or need to be objective about them. I watch them all quite often. For me it was best put by Peringaten - "no one romances me like Fu Sheng."

Fist Of Boss

Trailer of Fake Ghost Catchers look mildly interesting.Is there any kung-fu in it or just supernatular foolery???

MarsHarmony

Well, I think so. Chang Chan Peng has several fight scenes that are quite satisfying, and with Johnny Wang Lung Wei, who better to play the bad official!, as well, and a very vigorous ending with Lung Tung Sheng, Chang Chan Peng, Hsiao Ho and Fu Sheng. The effects are fairly well done and more importantly not overdone. It's a fun and spooky themed joy ride, quick paced and action packed!

And thank you Ching Li!

Following on from my Lau Kar Leung thread i decided to do one for one of my favourite actors the late great Fu Sheng. I have not seen them all so if anyone can fill in the gaps please do so.These are ratings for the films themselves not Fu Sheng's performance which made a lot of film more watchable than they should be!

The Generation Gap (1973) NOT SEEN

Not seen

Police Force (1973) NOT SEEN

Not Seen

Na Cha the Great (1974) OK film i think his first starring role, light fantasy film certainly watchable. 6 / 10

Only parts but because the script, the screenplay and the performance, 10/10

Shaolin Martial Arts (1974) One of my Chang Cheh directed favourites, great training sequences and a very bloody finale. 9 / 10

8/10

Friends (1974) NOT SEEN

Not seen

Five Shaolin Masters (1974) . Cult favourite with a great cast , a definate re-watchable kung fu classic. 8 / 10

8/10

Men from the Monastery (1974) Another in the Chang Cheh shaolin cycle Fu Sheng and Chu Kuan Chun were now a solid partnership and again a great finale with one of the most painful deaths in Shaws catalogue! (Fu Sheng fans will know what i mean). 9 / 10

8/10

Heroes Two (1974) Partnered with Chen Kuan Tai this has a story of Hung Tsi Kwan being betrayed unknowingly by Fong Sai Yuk played by Fu Sheng. Choreography a little clunky but a solid effort. 7 / 10

8/10

Marco Polo (1975) Fantastic epic and a must see for fans of Chang Cheh. Again Fu Sheng and Chi Kuan Chun join forces to battle the bad guys, one of whom is played by Shaw bad man regular Leung Kar Yan, who went to more starring roles when he left Shaws. Richard Harrison plays the title role in his usual wooden manner! 10 / 10

5/10

Disciples of Shaolin (1975) Many have said this is his best film and i can see why. Great performance from Fu Sheng who get caught up in a battle between two cotton mills. Remade as Barefooted Kid years later. 9 / 10

8/10

Shaolin Temple (1976) Vast cast in the Shaolin Temple film to end them all, lots of the cast get to shine especially Fu Sheng and this film introduced some of the venoms to the audience. 10 / 10

8/10

New Shaolin Boxers (1976) A rare chance to see Choy Li Fut style, as demonstrated superbly by Fu Sheng especially in the title sequence. The film is an ok story of gangland rivalry. 6 / 10

Not seen

The Shaolin Avengers (1976) A sort of retelling of the same story in Men From The Monastery but told in a refreshing flashback way. Great training and fight scenes. Top notch. 8 / 10

Not seen

Seven Man Army (1976) OK war film with a good cast but it just falls flat maybe because the budget couldnt match the story that wanted to be told. Guns and empty hand action is well staged. 6 / 10

5/10

Boxer Rebellion (1976) Epic tale told about the Boxers of the title who were led to believe they could fend off even bullets. Fu Sheng and his brothers realise the con being evoked and set out to stop it at all costs. Fabulous action, reccomended. 8/10

5/10

The Brave Archer (1977) In a way a showcase for Fu Sheng, but i found the story very confusing and un-interesting. Even the action seemed restrained. 5/10

5/10

Magnificent Wanderers (1977) Poor effort with a wasted cast, slow, boring and poor choreography. Avoid. 3 / 10

5/10

The Naval Commandos (1977) NOT SEEN

Not seen

Chinatown Kid (1977) Modern day action and a fan favourite. Fu Sheng tries to help his buddy in America but gets caught up in a gang feud. The sets of San Francisco are terrible and the film has dated badly but worth a watch. The HK edit is different and less violent that the western release and that version is not available on dvd . 6 / 10

10/10

The Avenging Eagle (1978) Ti Lung and Fu Sheng go head to head in this fabulous film by Sun Chung. Great choreography and cinematography give this a 5 star look, good twisty ending too. 8 /10

9/10

The Brave Archer Part II (1978) Similar views to part 1, couldnt really get involved and found it hard to follow. 5 / 10

5/10

The Proud Twins (1979) NOT SEEN

9/10

The Deadly Breaking Sword (1979) Another Sun Chung swordplay epic which is ok but does drag in places to try and get all the plot twists out. An ok evenings rental. 6 / 10

7/10

Life Gamble (1979) Oh dear. What a mess of a film , even the likes of Fu Sheng and Lo Menmg cant save this film from being confusing and boring all at the same time. 3 / 10

2/10

Ten Tigers of Kwantung (1979) Apparently filmed in two parts a few years apart this is an entertaining story of the famous Ten Tigers with a good cast including Ti Lung and some of the venoms. 6 / 10

7/10

Heaven and Hell (1980) NOT SEEN

Not seen

Heroes Shed No Tears (1980) NOT SEEN

7/10

Return of the Sentimental Swordsman (1981) OK sequel but i found this to be a little predictable and the same as many swordplay films of this period. 5 / 10

7/10

The Brave Archer Part III (1981) NOT SEEN

Not seen

Treasure Hunters (1981) Entertaining film with Fu Sheng starring with his real brother Cheung Chin Pang. The chemistry between them is good even if the script and comedy are a bit on the ott side, probably because Wong Jing was the writer. Good fight choreography saves the day. 6 / 10

Not seen complete

Because the script, screenplay and performance 9/10

My Rebellious Son (1982) Back to form, this is one of Fu Sheng's better later films for Shaws with good support from Ku Feng and great fight scenes by Tong Gai. Seek this one out you will not be dissapointed. 8 / 10

9/10

Cat Vs. Rat (1982) Poor cantonese comedy does have its fans and the fights are good but i found it a bit of a drag. 4 / 10

Not seen

The Brave Archer and His Mate (1982) NOT SEEN

2/10

Legendary Weapons of China (1982) As mentioned in my Lau Kar Leung post a classic of its kind with fantastic finale. Fu Sheng's comedy cameo does grate with some people and i can see why. 9 / 10

7/10

Not seen

10/10

Not seen

The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter (1984) Classic. say no more... 10 /10

10/10

I replied filled the quoting in red.

Alexandra

I replied filled the quoting in red.

Alexandra

Just watched on tv Cat vs Rat .. so my vote

10/10

Without doubts, excellent performances, choreographies, cameras direction, plot. A jewel.

Alexandra

My god, how lucky people are to have Shaw films on TV!!:tongue:

David

I have only the chances to watch Shaw Brothers movies in tv thanks to a local broadcast that made a contract with Turner or other company that have the legal rights over these movies in Latinamerica, and believe me, is a pain here to get movies or watch them, because Asian cinema is underrated or only the distributors pay attention to Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Bruce Lee and occasionally Chow Yun Fat. Of course all the famous one of the last decade like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, House of Flying Daggers, Curse of Golden Flower, and others that are popular because the international success, came into our country, but the general interest for those movies is quite few and is because they do not receive the attention and the people is unable to qualify things that are unknown for them.

The local broadcast the SB films two or three days a week, and in prime time, the contemporary films of China, Corea and Japan... but not something spectacular but worth the pain.

Alexandra

Just watched (and updating my list)

Na Cha (1974) Complete thanks all the Olympic Gods!

10/10

Treasure Hunters (1981) Mysteriously in cable television.

9/10

:smile::smile::smile:

Alexandra

Just watched (and updating my list)

Na Cha (1974) Complete thanks all the Olympic Gods!

10/10

Treasure Hunters (1981) Mysteriously in cable television.

9/10

:smile::smile::smile:

Alexandra

You would like 'Friends', I bet.

Heaven & Hell was very weird and I enjoyed it, but then again, I really liked all of the 'Brave Archer' movies.

Incredible Kung Fu Brothers is hard to find, I wish I could get a plot description.

Just watched on tv Cat vs Rat .. so my vote

10/10

Without doubts, excellent performances, choreographies, cameras direction, plot. A jewel.

Alexandra

Pity end fight sucks so much,8/10 from me only.

You would like 'Friends', I bet.

Incredible Kung Fu Brothers is hard to find, I wish I could get a plot description.

I have not seen yet Friends....:squigglemouth:

"Incredible Kung Fu Brothers": you mean Five Shaolin Masters? :confused: Probably I am wrong, as usual with the alternative names... I am a disaster. :nerd:

Alexandra

"Incredible Kung Fu Brothers": you mean Five Shaolin Masters? :confused: Probably I am wrong, as usual with the alternative names... I am a disaster. :nerd:

Alexandra

IKFB is an alt title for The Shaolin Avengers.

2snwhbqX7tk

Not sure what you mean. Don't know if the IVL disc is OOP but it should still be fairly easy to come by. Mark wrote a review here.

IKFB is an alt title for The Shaolin Avengers.

2snwhbqX7tk

Not sure what you mean. Don't know if the IVL disc is OOP but it should still be fairly easy to come by. Mark wrote a review here.

You know what? The many different film titles annoy me greatly.

I have seen the movie long ago. just didn't know that it had a different title.

Archived