Takashi Miike doing a kids' ninja film!

AlbertV

Twitch:

Nintama Rantaro: Takashi Miike tackles the children's genre with his next project.

The anime is based on Soubee Amako's Rakudai Ninja Rantarō ninja gag manga (Asahi Comics) about the adventures of Rantarō and other ninja apprentices at an elite ninjutsu academy. The story is set in Japan during the tumultuous Sengoku Jidai (Era of the Warring States). As first-graders, Rantarō and his ninja-in-training friends are called "Nintama" -- a contraction of the words "ninja" and "tamago" ("egg"). Eight year-old actor Seishirō Katō has landed the lead. The little booger has pretty much been acting since leaving his mother's womb.

Takashi Miike I heard always wanted to do a kids' film and looks like he is going to finally be able to do it! Can't wait to see how this comes out.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yatterman and Great Yokai War aren't kids' movies?

Yatterman and Great Yokai War were more along the lines of pre-teen movies. We're talking more like kindergarten to grade school level here with this project.

OK, wasn't sure. If I can enjoy Watari the Ninja Boy, Nintama Rantaro sounds like it'll be fun too.

The movie has an English title of NINJA KIDS! Official Japanese site HERE

Shidou Nakamura is in the film as Rantaro's father.

The film is coming out on July 23rd.

This only shows the versatility Miike is known for. He is finally tackling a movie targeted to young kids...some may think Miike directing a kids movie is like Kenta Fukusaku directing a beautiful love story. However, I have to give Miike the props for this. And considering that the manga and anime are extremely popular, I have a feeling this is going to be a hit film in Japan.

Considering Yatterman is Miike's best movie, and The Great Yokai War is one of his best...

... but still, I'm not sure this is gonna work out. Will check it out when I get the chance, though.

And Miike has signed up for Sushi Typhoon also, so it's not gonna be the end of gore-Miike.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Considering Yatterman is Miike's best movie, and The Great Yokai War is one of his best...

... but still, I'm not sure this is gonna work out. Will check it out when I get the chance, though.

And Miike has signed up for Sushi Typhoon also, so it's not gonna be the end of gore-Miike.

I used to rush to see every new Miike film back in the day, but as I've gotten older and busier I've missed a few. Takuma, based on all of your forum posts I've always valued and respected your opinions. So hearing you say YATTERMAN is his best makes me very excited. :nerd: I've got to get this! Did this one get a release stateside?

Agree with the opinions that it's good to get kids into the genre earliy with stuff like this new flick too. Even if you just consider our own little KFC family- Albert, Teako, and many others on here have brought fresh new lives into the world since I've been on this forum. Perhaps NINTAMA RANTARO will be their introduction to the genre? :wink:

Yatterman has been released on dvd and blu-ray in Hong Kong at least. I've got the Japanese Blu-Ray.

Of course, it's not necessarily a film for old school Miike fans... I recently saw a critic saying it's Miike's worst film, haha. But I thought it was amazing. Non-stop gags, fighting robots, singing and dancing, j-pop, pretty boys and girls, jokes that only Miike could slip into a family movie... pure energy.

Not sure if all versions translate the Giant Cock -joke like the festival print did... :tongue:

09011402_Yatterman_02.jpg

Archived