Ip Man 3

DiP

Director Reveals Possibility of 'Ip Man 3'

Wilson Yip, director of the "Ip Man" action film series, revealed Sunday that the third installment, if made, would focus on Bruce Lee, the best-known student of Ip Man, M1905.com reports

Yip told the media that the appearance of a young Bruce Lee at the end of "Ip Man 2" was foreshadowing for the next edition. But the director also hedged, saying, "Shooting films is like gambling, where you can't predict the results. You can't know if there will be a second episode while you were still working on the first one. I put my chips down on 'Ip Man 2' and will see how it goes. If I win, I will make 'Ip Man 3'."

As the dark horse of the 2008 film market, "Ip Man" has received intense attention. Striking while the iron was hot, Wilson Yip then quickly followed that success with "Ip Man 2", which will open in theaters today (April 27).

Audience comments on the previews for "Ip Man 2" have so far revealed that the sequel is better than the original.

However, Donnie Yen, who played the title character in the two "Ip Man" films, has said several times in public that he wouldn't do another "Ip Man".

Director Yip responded, "He definitely will come back if 'Ip Man 2' does well. Nothing is impossible."

http://english.cri.cn/6666/2010/04/27/2482s565834.htm

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gunswordfist

Whoa,so Ip Man 2 comes out today (in China)? I hope it comes to theaters i the US. I watched the original a couple of weeks ago and LOVED it. Wilson Yip and Donnie Yen make such a great team. And Donnie Yen has to come back. I don't think he has ever been in his own great trilogy.

I think Donnie Yen is right and shouldn't return to the role, at least in the very near future especially if the focus is on Bruce Lee.

Is the market in U.S. so small that they will not bring movies like IP man, 14 Blades, and etc.

I honestly believe there are a lot of folks in the U.S. that would be thrill of the idea of going to the movies to see a kung fu movie. what u you guys think?

Will not " Linda Lee's rights ( trademark , copyright etc.) to Bruce Lee's name " interfer :crossedlips: with the storyline in this movie ? It may focus on a time period before they meet, but she has more rights to a persons name (dead or alive ) than I have heard of before.

Athena

I think that the market in the US is much bigger than these Hollywood distributors realize, I think it's really a shame that excellent films like Ip Man will never be given a wide theatrical realese in the US. for big films like that, somebody needs to secure the rights and release the theatrically before the dvds come out in HK etc., because if I've already bought the dvd then I don't feel like spending the $ to see it in theaters. But if they can somehow get these films out around the time of their HK release like Australia does, then I'd def. see it in theaters and then buy the HK dvd later.

agree Mark, I know about 25 folks that will pay to see these movies. Back in NJ we used to go to the movies & see old kung fu movies that use to come on late nights. I'm thinking of suggesting our local movie theater do a kung fu day once a month.

I believe with someone playing Bruce in IP man 3, it will make for a very interesting movie, and potentially the best movie in the trilogy.

If the focus is on Bruce Lee for the next film, then I won't be watching.

Jay Chou may play martial arts legend Bruce Lee in 'Ip Man 3'

HONG KONG: Mandarin Films Distribution, the film company behind the immensely popular martial arts films "Ip Man" and its sequel "Ip Man 2", has said through a spokesperson that discussions are underway to shoot "Ip Man 3" with singer Jay Chou and Donnie Yen.

"The company would love to shoot 'Ip Man 3' with the original cast and crew. However, we will have to discuss the collaborative details with producer Raymond Wong to understand the situation, and if Jay Chou and Donnie Yen's names come up during our discussions, it would be the perfect team," said the spokesperson.

Hong Kong director Wilson Yip, who helmed the first two films, had revealed earlier in March that if he could shoot the third film, it would (like the films before it) be about the life of kung fu grandmaster Ip Man, but focus more on his relationship with his famous student, martial arts legend Bruce Lee.

According to Yip, "Ip Man 3" would feature an older Ip Man, so Yen might be made to look much older and appear in fewer action sequences than the previous films.

Chou is also pegged to play Lee, as Yip mentioned last year that the superstar singer was a good candidate for the role.

Mandarin Films and director Yip may be supportive of the project, but "Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" producer Raymond Wong, as well as Yen, who played the titular hero in both films, were less enthusiastic.

Speculation is rife that Wong had a falling out with Mandarin Films. He also expressed his reluctance to get involved in "Ip Man 3".

"Ideally, I do not want to start shooting ['Ip Man 3'] this year or the next. There are so many 'Ip Man'-related films on the market; we should wait till the audience digest it all!" said Wong on Tuesday.

His reluctance was shared by Yen, who had repeatedly said that the first two "Ip Man" films were good enough and did not wish to make a third.

"A lot of people want to see me do 'Ip Man 3' but I don't want to do it in the near future. I will see how the script turns out before deciding," said Yen on Tuesday.

"If Jay Chou is chosen to play Bruce Lee, I think he should train with me for six months before shooting starts, so he can look convincing during kung fu action sequences."

Apart from the "Ip Man" series, another movie is in production about the kung fu master.

The Wong Kar Wai-directed "The Grand Master", which stars Hong Kong actor Tony Leung, has been plagued by mishaps and delays and is set to hit screens in 2011.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/entertainment/view/1054581/1/.html

mrnicejai

Man.... having Jay Chou as Bruce Lee would REALLY SUCK! If they really have to make Ip Man 3 they should make it a prequal or something. Leave the Bruce Lee thing alone...

It's definitely going to be a sequel because on a technical basis, there already is a prequel

THE LEGEND IS BORN: IP MAN with To Yu-Hang as Ip Man.

We all have to face the inevitable. IP MAN 3 is going to have Bruce Lee whether we like it or not. In any case, we'll just have to see if A) Yen likes the script enough that he will indeed return and B) even see if Chou will take the role.

I mentioned this on another thread, but HKFA Best New Actor Aarif Lee will be playing Bruce in the project that is being handled by Lee's siblings, the one that would have Tony Leung Ka-Fai as Lee Hoi-Chuen.

Let's not forget Wong Kar-Wai's take on Ip Man, THE GRAND MASTER, still to be seen.

Guest Yi-Long

Jay Chow as Bruce Lee would be ridiculous, unless it's a short cameo at the end when ip man is an old man and Bruce visits him from the USA, and even then it's a mismatch.

If they are trying to have him play the 15-16 year old Bruce, it's obviously even more idiotic.

VenomsFan

Just to show you how much of a farce this is:

In Ip Man 2, the Bruce that is introduced to Ip Man is about 8 years old. Bruce Lee met Ip Man in the summer of 1954 and was 13 years old.

Even when milking the legacy, they can't even get their facts straight. What a shame!

VenomsFan
If they train hard and come up with great characters and storyline they should do it! We need life breathing into the genre, the creativity must continue or they will become like wooden hollywood. New ideas, must flow...risks and chances should be made or they will never evolve and the tree of knowledge will never meet the sky.

eh, my money is on Ong Bak 3. Jaa single handedly defeats 100 palace guards. and did I see one trailer right a guy gets stomped by an elephant?!

HK action seems in a flux and there is so much pressure to replace the throne from Jet and Jackie I just think they will keep innovating till they find it right.

Even when milking the legacy, they can't even get their facts straight. What a shame!

They've done that with the entirety of both films. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the story of someone like Sum Nung would make for a far better film. But they won't make it because of his persecution by both the Chinese as a whole (he was half Chinese) and the Communists.

But there would have been some amazing scraps, organising and testing himself in organised fights even during the height of the revolution. Unlike Ip Man, Sum Nung wore the scars of his encounters, including knife wounds on his arms. More than anyone else Sum Nung proved the combat effectiveness of Wing Chun in life or death circumstances.

They still could have included Ip Man though, since the two knew each other.

daisho2004

But according to Donnie he doesn't want to do a pt.# 3, I hope he does but we'll see what happens. And I do have to agree about the Bruce Lee part, if that was the case then they shoulda had Donnie as an Old Man that woulda been more believable on the History part of his Life.

How are semi-biopics supposed to get facts straight? Semi-biopics merely base a character on a real historic person, nothing more. The Ip Man movies were never meant to be true biopics.

HK action seems in a flux and there is so much pressure to replace the throne from Jet and Jackie I just think they will keep innovating till they find it right.

Newsflash... That was five years ago.

VenomsFan
Newsflash... That was five years ago.

In your opinion what has happened in those 5 years? Are they still trying to figure it out?

Simple, they progressed and still are. Figuring out something new is always what everyone is striving for and guess what, that's what Hong Kong has been doing for years. But I guess in your biased opinion, it doesn't mean anything. It's always about Tony Jaa and Thailand.

Im not sure if this is the LATEST news, but according to Donnie Yen, he is not interested in continuing his role as Ip man.

It sounds as if there will be no Ip Man 3, starring Donnie Yen, or anyone else. He says that the reason for the disinterest

is because there are too many Ip Man projects in production IE" THE GRANDMASTER and THE LEGEND IS BORN: IP MAN.

He says he feels his work on Ip Man will lose it's sense of novelty, so he is backing out. Right now THE LEGEND IS BORN:

IP MAN, which will begin to chronicle the younger days of Ip Man is being referred to as Ip Man 3. Even though it is being

referred to as Ip Man 3 it will not continue the story of Ip Man as we last see him in Ip Man 2. If Ip Man 3 is made one day,

then perhaps they could continue the story of how Bruce Lee first met Ip Man as a youngster at the end of Ip Man 2.

As a SIDE NOTE on the IP MAN movies, based on the watered down quality of the HK releases i would wait for the Wellgo

USA version because the prints are pristine. AVOID the HK releases even if they are on DVD-9 discs, the prints are BULLSHIT.

I don't blame Donnie for not pursuing Ip Man 3.

I watched The Legend is Born and while I thought it was okay, and it was nice to see Yuen Biao, at the end of the day it's copy cat material. The story and it's originality is lost.

Looking forward to The Legend Returns.

Ip Chun, Ip Man's son who appeared in THE LEGEND IS BORN: IP MAN said that he is not sanctioning any more films on his father. This does not include Wong Kar-Wai's version THE GRAND MASTER because they are still in production. But, it looks like the chances of an IP MAN 3 are practically *poof* LOL

Archived