Question about Massacre Survivor print

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I watched Massacre Survivor last week. A great movie.

I need help understanding the shapes aspect: wink:

Just kidding. :tongue:

Here is my observation and question.

Did you all notice 3/4th in to the film or earlier the bottom part of the screen slightly split. It continued this way to the end. Now with today's technology in transferring a movie film to DVD would this error not have been adjusted.

I hate to say it but this leads me to believe this movie was transferred from a VHS or a DVD was already made of it from some past transfer then given to the investors. :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Of course I could be wrong.

GD Y-Y

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you all notice 3/4th in to the film or earlier the bottom part of the screen slightly split. It continued this way to the end. Now with today's technology in transferring a movie film to DVD would this error not have been adjusted.

As the reels were playing back, there was obviously a physical problem with that part of the film and hardware used to play it back.

I hate to say it but this leads me to believe this movie was transferred from a VHS or a DVD was already made of it from some past transfer then given to the investors.

The whole process from start to finish was entirely documented in the Massacre Survivor topic, including scans from the 35mm, and the other topic about how it was restored.. It was transferred and restored in a very short space of time. It went from reels straight to 2 DVDs in about 4 separate recordings. This was then edited together and colour corrected, etc.

whitetigerny

Considering the film and available resources etc., I would say good job.

Ask Celestial to do the movie and know what, you will never see.

Hats off to the brave ones who took a chance and put their money up.

Hell, I spent $200 on an original VHS of Revenge of Kung Fu Mao.

I watched Massacre Survivor last week. A great movie.

Here is my observation and question.

It will be good if you can elaborate a bit more on the "Slightly Split" issue? Is there a thin black horizontal line at the bottom of the image and can you see a bit of picture movement at this "split" ? or is it just a thin black line at the bottom part of the image but there is no other movement or picture infomation below the black line of the split?

Finally is it correct to presume that this is a horizontal split?

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Yes its horizontal and on the bottom revealing the top part of the frame below it. I think that's right.

And it shows the color of the bottom top frame. On my TV it was little over 1/2 inch.

It didn't skip or move but was steadily locked in that position.

So once again it makes me suspicious this movie was transferred from a 35mm print. Otherwise why would that be there?

Now Falkor has said its part of the process and could not be avoided. I still have my doubts.

Because we have all experienced this and worse in the VHS's that were available in the early 80's

I once, a long time ago, bought a VHS of to 'Kill a Mastermind from Beijing Video. I have never in my days seen such a FK up print. It was UNWATCHABLE. The dude had the gall to send me such a piece of crap.

So I am very familiar with this problem of screen breakage in what ever manner from the early days of king fu movies on VHS.

GD Y-Y

kungfusamurai

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you're describing some kind of alignment or tracking problem with the film when it was telecined. I'm not familiar with how the projection process works, but as far as I know, the frame should be centered, but occasionally there are problems where it pushes up or down, so you're seeing two frames simultaneously. Usually a projectionist will make adjustments to the projector, and the frame gets centered again.

Perhaps the film was damaged, or they loaded up the last reel or two improperly, and didn't make the adjustment to center it. I can't believe Toby would have paid for a crappy telecine like that of his film print.

I wonder if the version that was presented at the screening also had the problem you described?

KFS

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I don't know. But there was no jumping at all.

The DVD source is unknown a friend DL it for me.

But still. It does not make sense in today's technologies that when transferring one should not be a able to correct the problem. They made the color better.

I am still suspect.

GD Y-Y

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you're describing some kind of alignment or tracking problem with the film when it was telecined. I'm not familiar with how the projection process works, but as far as I know, the frame should be centered, but occasionally there are problems where it pushes up or down, so you're seeing two frames simultaneously. Usually a projectionist will make adjustments to the projector, and the frame gets centered again.

Perhaps the film was damaged, or they loaded up the last reel or two improperly, and didn't make the adjustment to center it. I can't believe Toby would have paid for a crappy telecine like that of his film print.

I wonder if the version that was presented at the screening also had the problem you described?

KFS

Kungfusamurai is very close it seems that there were damaged sprocket holes or a bad splice in the reels that were telecined causing the image to move slightly out of frame.If the telecine transfer was not monitored this error would be unnoticed till the end.It is not as serious as if it had actually happened in a cinema (showing 35mm film) where the consequences are more pronounced.This could have been fixed by blanking during the authoring of the DVD or it could be individually blanked if viewed via a digital/video projection system but I doubt if this print was struck from an already existing vhs copy because it would have somehow resurfaced by now.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I'LL except this explanation.

Case closed!

Thanks for the guidance.

GD Y-Y

Archived