Dorian Tan Tao Liang

Guest Squid Lips

Another one to look out for is Tornado of Pearl River, a pretty early effort. The opening fight is superb, but unfortunately as the film progresses the action quality goes down. Still Tan puts in a good martial and acting performance, and its worth a watch

thedirtytiger

Someone said Heroes Of The Waterfront DVD was readily available. I have been looking for many years for this one, who released the DVD ? Are we talking proper legit release or dem dodgy boots ?:P If it is legit then I want it !!!!

shaftershaf

I have today stumbled across in my 8mm projector collection a clip of a 1970's Tan Tao Liang film.

It features amazing and spectacular kicking action and choreography !!

This is the best kicking action I have ever seen...even compares well to new Donnie Yen films !!

Problem is that I can't remember the name of the film and it is not listed under his filmography.

It features him fighting alongside another high kicker and wearing a sleeveless white suit.

His hair is short.

At one point the elderly moustached guy he fights brings knives out from his elbows.

I must find out the name of the film at all costs and track it down.

Could be the rarest martial arts film footage in existence as it is not even on youtube

Help please !!

Will try and upload tomorrow.

• Like 2

EXR7bwdUMAE-Bjv.jpg

Here is the photo of Michael Worth and Tan Tao Liang aka Delon Tan. 

tan-tao-liang-c6d96688-29ac-4806-bd81-0e

From Top Fighter, I think this was his son Michael that he is helping out here. Michael would end up in a few films in the late naughts, definitely has some mad kicks like his dad.

• Like 5

This Michael Worth on the picture, didn't he play in a TV series such as Acapulco Heat or another one ? Bus face is familiar.

And Tan Tao Liang's son, Michael, it's another Michael, right ?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

This Michael Worth on the picture, didn't he play in a TV series such as Acapulco Heat or another one ? Bus face is familiar.

Yes, he was on Acapulco HEAT and was a staple of 1990s American martial arts B-movies. He almost won the role of Robin in Batman Forever only to lose it to Chris O'Donnell but would get stunt work on the film as a member of the Neon Gang Robin takes on. 

Here's the HKMDB page on Michael Tan Ye An

https://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=34293&display_set=eng

I saw some work in Dragon Treasure where he played the villain. He looks like his dad and showcased some impressive kicks 

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

The article mentions the big local success of THE HERO OF CHIU CHOW aka THE HERO OF THE WATERFRONT, making 1 Mio HK$ within the first 4 days. Has this been released?
Article also mentions the movie THE RIOT OF PEARL DELTA, I guess this became TORNADO OF CHU CHIANG aka TORNADO OF PEARL RIVER.  I only found info on an Ocean Shores video cd and fareastflix bootleg. Are there further releases?

There is another thread for TTL in the Classical MA Cinema Thread.

Edited by Chu Liu Hsiang
  • Like 2

ShawAngela
On 4/27/2010 at 10:31 AM, shaftershaf said:

Thank you for the info...you are a life saver !!

Still puzzled though as to the rarity and why no clips online ?

I got a German VHS around a year ago on ebay, and almost right after that, I found that this movie is also on a two in one dvd, also German release.

Here is the link to the ebay page of the movie, It looks like there are only two VHS for sale and no more dvd...

• Like 2

J.J. Hayden
On 7/13/2021 at 11:59 PM, AlbertV said:

From Top Fighter, I think this was his son Michael that he is helping out here.

I always thought that kid was his son or nephew, he had a look of him. It's a shame he didn't become a big star like his dad, he certainly had some skills, even at that age.

• Like 2

Cognoscente
On 6/25/2007 at 11:26 PM, Guest Squid Lips said:

Anyone interested, here is a little video I cut together about 7 years ago and actually gave it to Master Tan. Thankfully he liked it.

If Bruce Lee could be called Three Legs Lee then Tan could be called Infinite Left Legs.

• Like 1

DragonClaws
On 2/24/2024 at 2:58 PM, DrNgor said:

Does anybody have any news about Tan's current health status and whereabouts?

According to Micheal Worth, on one of the Clones Cast shows that reviwed The Tattoo Connection (1978), he contacted him at his dojo to do a telephone interview. One of the things he said, is Tan Tao Liang dispelled the myth about Jim Kelly getting heat on the set of The Tatto Connection.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

According to Micheal Worth, on one of the Clones Cast shows that reviwed The Tattoo Connection (1978), he contacted him at his dojo to do a telephone interview. One of the things he said, is Tan Tao Liang dispelled the myth about Jim Kelly getting heat on the set of The Tatto Connection.

His Southern California dojo?

• Like 1

DragonClaws
22 hours ago, DrNgor said:

His Southern California dojo?

Yes, I think that was the one, though its sometime since I listened to that particular Clones Cast epsiode.