8 DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER--Dragon Dynasty

bobo

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No extras, unless you count English dub as an extra.

Thanks, I guess I was just silently hoping that they pushed the release date back in order to add some sort of extra to the disk (especially since Logan returned to DD somewhere around this time frame).

I'll probably still end up buying this, but I think I'll wait for another DD sale on amazon or something. I'm starting to get way behind on my movie watching. I'm buying alot faster than I am capable of watching them.:sad:

Guest Markgway

Cantonese is the original language and if I remember correctly Gordon Liu dubbed his own voice.

This movie is a masterpiece and if DD have fucked it up I'm gonna hire some guys to ass fuck those responsible.

"This movie is a masterpiece and if DD have fucked it up I'm gonna hire some guys to ass fuck those responsible."

lol

Morgoth Bauglir
I picked it up and watched it today...not to worry no mess ups here!!

We are just easy to please I guess:tongue:

Perfect sounding English dub and perfect picture is good enough for me.

Morgoth Bauglir
Please tell me there is no DUBTITLES....
-

Subtitles are way different than the English dub on the portion I watched.

I watched the scene with Lau Kar Leung with subtitles on. The rest could be dubtitles for all I know:tongue: But I doubt it.

We are just easy to please I guess:tongue:

Perfect sounding English dub and perfect picture is good enough for me.

I guess you are right!! :tongue:

Great sounding dub, nothing cut, no change in the title card, and the picture is great with bright vivid colors!!

Cantonese is the original language and if I remember correctly Gordon Liu dubbed his own voice.

This movie is a masterpiece and if DD have fucked it up I'm gonna hire some guys to ass fuck those responsible.

So it is safe to assume one can't really go by what Hong Kong Cinemagic has to say either? They state it's Mandarin but Wikepedia (that other ever reliable source) states it is Cantonese.

Hong Kong Cinemagic also listed Five Element Ninjas as being Mandarin which made me believe the disc was ok until people were saying it too was Cantonese which made me hold off on..for the time being.

Morgoth Bauglir
Just like many of the recent DD Shaw releases (Return to the 36th Chamber and Crippled Avengers), this is also a DVD5.:tinysmile_angry2_t:

What is DVD5?

So it is safe to assume one can't really go by what Hong Kong Cinemagic has to say either? They state it's Mandarin but Wikepedia (that other ever reliable source) states it is Cantonese.

hkmdb also says Mandarin.

What is DVD5?

It just means that the disk is a single layer DVD, as apposed to a duel layer dvd (DVD9).

DVD5s hold less than 5 GB, while the DVD9s hold 8.5 GB. The Funimation Shaws are currently DVD9s I believe, and they are pretty much a bare bones disc as well.

The older DD Shaw titles, like 36th Chamber, were DVD9s... but they also had a lot more bonus features taking up the space.

Guest Markgway

Shaw Bros had stopped making Mandarin movies by the time Eight-Diagram Pole Fighter came out (Feb 1984). Lau Kar-Leung's last Mandarin film was Heroes of the East in 1978. Five Element Ninjas was filmed as Mandarin (as per all Chang Cheh movies) but released in Hong Kong in Cantonese (Apr 1982). Chang struggled with Cantonese I believe and so Shaws indulged him. But when he left the studio that was it. Even Chu Yuan's wuxias had made the switch.

Thanks for that information. It appears then, that Dragon Dynasty pulled a My Young Auntie.

Time for you to make some calls.

If you watch Shaw films of this era, some are mouthing Mandarin, some Cantonese, so seeing as the dubbing for both was done at the same time i cant see why one is wrong or right?

thelastweaponmaster

Nice find. Too bad there aren't more of the behind the scenes footage that showed how the old school martial arts films were made back then. It was really interesting near the end of the footage how they were shooting one fight scene to a count (you can hear someone counting from one to four in the background).

Would love to see these type of footage included on some of the Dragon Dynasty releases. Unfortunately since Bey Logan left, their recent releases have been bare bones or re-releases of their old releases onto blu-ray.

Need someone to succeed Dragon Dynasty and Hong Kong Legends.

What kind of legitimacy does hkmdb.com have in documenting HK cinema? I was under the impression imdb.com was with cred and it lists Mandarin and Cantonese for this film. In any event, disappointing as it is this is DVD5 and not dual audio the IVL is still the usual business of poor PAL conversion, yes? If that's the case, I'm more than happy to pick this up.

Compared to IMDB, HKMDB lists Chinese titles and dedicates itself to Hong Kong cinema - the information accumulated speaks for itself really.

Mistakes can be made though:smile:.

I've always believed this to be a Cantonese film. Just on the subject, there was an Australian TV broadcast that reportedly re-translated the film.

masterofoneinchpunch
What kind of legitimacy does hkmdb.com have in documenting HK cinema? I was under the impression imdb.com was with cred and it lists Mandarin and Cantonese for this film. In any event, disappointing as it is this is DVD5 and not dual audio the IVL is still the usual business of poor PAL conversion, yes? If that's the case, I'm more than happy to pick this up.

Usually HKMDB has more creditability than IMDB. HKMDB is wrong in this instance, but the wrong language happens sometimes when there are two available and one of the editors pick just one. I'll probably make a note there sooner or later. Of course I do post there occasionally.

HKFA is correct (check this link).

Nice!

I remember Toby Russell also posted (different) behind-the-scenes footage of the film on YouTube. Sadly, his account has since disappeared.

kungfusamurai

I don't think I'll be supporting Dragon Dynasty anymore. They screwed this one up. They put on the mandarin track and english track, and that's it. For the same price as the earlier releases, they're giving us less and less. Why couldn't they just put the Cantonese track or both? The IVL disc has more features than this bare bones release. Maybe they should cut back on those cardboard slip covers if they want to save money.

KFS

Guest Markgway

I can easily live without the extras - though that BTS footage was a nice find - but exclusion of original language is totally unforgiveable.

I don't understand this post then....

I picked it up and watched it today...not to worry no mess ups here!!

Does lack of Cantonese not count as a PRETTY BIG mess up...?

Archived