8 DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER--Dragon Dynasty

bobo

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm... well, Return to the 36th Chamber still looked good (no PAL-to-NTSC interlacing crap like The Killer), so hopefully both this AND Return of the One Armed Swordsman will be decent A/V wise

I'm not too worried as all of DD's past Shaw Brothers releases have been good to great!!

Here's hoping we see even more awesome Shaws coming in the months a head. :tongue:

I'm not too worried as all of DD's past Shaw Brothers releases have been good to great!!

Here's hoping we see even more awesome Shaws coming in the months a head. :tongue:

True, they've been great so far, but after the 36th Chamber blu-ray, I'm still hesitant about future SB DVDs from DD. Fingers crossed, as per usual.

I'm not really keen on the cover overall. Gordon seems to have been photoshopped and I don't like the blue wintery look, etc.

Re-translated subtitles made their way onto a Australian TV broadcast of the film. They'll probably remaster the existing Celestial set at best, but it's no substitute.

The progressive video on the DD Shaw DVDs has been a great feat. However, it has been thought that the low bitrate is the cause of the somewhat soft images.

Then there's the audio - mono will most likely be here, but we're at the mercy of Celestial when it comes to new sound effects making their way into the English dubs (heard on 'Heroes Of The East', 'The One Armed Swordsman' and apparently 'Return To The 36th Chamber'). Instead of (what is suspected to be) filling in the gaps of damaged audio using the 5.1 source (or just the sound effects), they should use the mono of other soundtracks (the ideal and much preferred way, really).

Obviously, no extras are likely to be here. It's a shame as exclusive interviews were probably filmed, plus there'll be a few items Celestial may have (or indeed, created by other distributors).

kungfusamurai

I hope they do a blu-ray disc too. I'm surprised they wouldn't try to do extras. The WildSide DVD from France had extras. They had two discs for that one. And there are behind the scenes footage floating around, which I saw on youtube a while ago.

KFS

I hope they do a blu-ray disc too. I'm surprised they wouldn't try to do extras. The WildSide DVD from France had extras. They had two discs for that one. And there are behind the scenes footage floating around, which I saw on youtube a while ago.

KFS

Ah yeah, forgot about that! That would have been Toby's footage?

It's strange why they don't do extras for the Shaws anymore - maybe DD see the films as being plentiful and not worth the effort, perhaps budgetary reasons, or there's no one overseeing that side (just getting them out of the way)?

German Documentary TIGERKRALLE SCHLÄGT ZU has Behind the Scenes Footage and on-Set Interview for POLE FIGHTERS. was shown a few times on TV in the 90s. They're speaking Cantonese for the Dialogue Scenes on set :D

MarsHarmony
Holy Crap!!! I have the IVL Disc...but this will be a MUST BUY!!

Thanks for the heads up Bobo!!

DITTO! You can't have too many copies of a good film.

Guest Markgway
They're speaking Cantonese for the Dialogue Scenes on set :D

I seem to recall Gordon Liu dubbed his own voice for this one.

I seem to recall Gordon Liu dubbed his own voice for this one.

That is cool to know!! If the last few Shaw Bros releases are any indication it will be mono only...here's hoping the soundtrack is unaltered!!

It's strange why they don't do extras for the Shaws anymore - maybe DD see the films as being plentiful and not worth the effort, perhaps budgetary reasons, or there's no one overseeing that side (just getting them out of the way)?

I'd be suprised if they ever had any extras again. I'm guessing they haven't had any blockbuster sales of the Shaws and with Logan leaving his position with DD we're lucky they're still coming out. As long as it has the added dub and the picutre is better than the R3 version, I'm in.

Shaolin Patriot

Great news on 8 Diagram. I highly doubt that DD will pay a few thousand dollars to license any bonus material. DD is barely getting by as it is. They've already outsourced their releases to Vivendi/Universal for replication/distribution. Let's just hope they can continue with releasing more of the titles from their original acquisition.

I wonder if they are releasing titles that are guaranteed to have higher sales at the moment. What other titles does DD own the rights to???

RogeueWarrior !

Try this page :

( Not all are legally confirmed , but it is similar to the old Disney/ Miremax rumored list. Maybe it were part of the W brothers " Good Bye package " when they left ?

Athena )

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dragon_Dynasty_releases

I wonder if they are releasing titles that are guaranteed to have higher sales at the moment. What other titles does DD own the rights to???

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Dynasty -

Wrong page- the first one. Sorry !

Bronx Rican
Bare bone releases unfortunately, but coming with a bit more frequency.

Considering that one calendar year saw one DVD, it's practically a tsunami of releases! We'd all like extras, but it's a tradeoff I can live with. Hate to bring up the time-stretching thing again, but now I'm hearing it on DD stuff like Return to the 36th Chamber. Do they all send the audio to the same place for mastering?

Considering that one calendar year saw one DVD, it's practically a tsunami of releases! We'd all like extras, but it's a tradeoff I can live with.

It's true. Last year all we got was Five Deadly Venoms. This year we already have Return to the 36th Chamber, and soon we'll be getting Return of the One Armed Swordsman and 8 Diagram Pole Fighter. I wouldn't be surprised if New One Armed Swordsman (fingers crossed!) and Disciples of the 36th Chamber make it out soon as well.

It's true. Last year all we got was Five Deadly Venoms. This year we already have Return to the 36th Chamber, and soon we'll be getting Return of the One Armed Swordsman and 8 Diagram Pole Fighter. I wouldn't be surprised if New One Armed Swordsman (fingers crossed!) and Disciples of the 36th Chamber make it out soon as well.

Good point. I can also see Crippled Avengers as well since they can ride of the popularity of 5 Deadly Venoms.

A tag line of "The Stars of Five Deadly Venoms". I mean they would be dumb not to!! I just want to see them hire someone who actually makes good covers for their releases!! :tongue:

Bronx Rican
A tag line of "The Stars of Five Deadly Venoms"...

...As opposed to retitling the film "Return of the Five Deadly Venoms"! I still laugh at Ground Zero's "Chinese Super Ninjas... starring the VEDOMS"!

I still laugh at Ground Zero's "Chinese Super Ninjas... starring the VEDOMS"!

Eh, they had a cold when trying to say "Venoms"... go ahead, say "Venoms" while holding your nose :wink:

Archived