Kick-Ass

kungfusamurai

kungfusamurai

I'm surprised I'm the first one to talk about this film, since it opened last weekend. Nobody else checked it out?

I loved it! It definitely went places I didn't expect, and I got that same chill of adrenaline during the finale I got with Rambo. And it didn't disappoint! The fight scenes were well done, and it really felt well-thought out. There was maybe a point or two I thought they could have done differently, but otherwise, it was a treat. And I don't remember the trailer, but I don't remember hearing about 'you-know-who' playing the Big Daddy character.

I won't go more into it, I want to see what other people thought of it.

KFS

P.S. I thought the John Woo reference was going to be Face Off as an inside joke.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kungfusamurai

They haven't done much marketing, but they might be depending upon word of mouth. I don't recall Avatar getting much promotion beyond the film trailers. But it was word of mouth that got more and more people to go see it.

Conversely, I always find that movies that have tons of TV and printed media ads tend to be really crappy.

KFS

I wanted to see it, just haven't had the chance this week, hopefully next week I will get a chance to watch it.

The Amazing Psycho Per

I must live in a parallell universe because I heard about it alot. There were tons of different trailers posted on the net. I went to see it based on the many raving review I read on the net, some people even comparing it to a cross over between Quentin Tarrantino and Takashi Miike...:ooh: That is not the case.

To me, it was nothing more then a Super Hero movie revisited by the way of teen comedy. Plus the ending really disapointed me for a movie that pretended to be grounded in reality. Only reason to see the film is Hit Girl. Young Chloe Moretz literally steals the show as the little girl with deadly skills and her action scenes are well done.

froffeecoffee

I thought it was an awesomely wicked movie. The action scenes were a lot like Kill Bill and John Woo put together. Hit Girl was great, as was Big Daddy.

Without a studio to interfere, we get a great action flick without any compromises. Plus my favorite local comic bookstore was prominently displayed the entire movie.

kungfusamurai

I think your expectations were tainted AP, if people were telling you it was Tarantino meets Miike. I know Tarantino, I don't know Miike much. It definitely wasn't Tarantino. Teen movie, for sure. Action flick, yes. Based in reality at any point, nope. I thought of it as a nice satire, and I guess a better comparison would be Robert Rodriguez and his Spy Kids flicks, except with more blood and swearing.

SPOILERS

Some stuff they could have done better. Like the ending would have been nicer had they cleared the girl's father and given him a police funeral, and addressed that corrupt cop by either killing him or showing him hooking up with McHatin (my new nickname for McLovin). And like I said, I didn't like how the safehouse was the exact home of Big Daddy and Hit Girl. That was a dumb dumb move, considering the bad guys had originally been looking for Kick Ass and BD knew his time was almost up when his 'work' at the lumber building was video recorded (why wasn't Hit Girl participating in that carnage, by the way?).

KFS

I took a long lunch and saw Kick Ass opening day and it did just that Kicked all kinds of ass!!!! Of course I was a huge fan of the comic book so that made seeing it all the more fun!!

IMHO this is the best performance from Nic Cage in a long time. He's been very hit and miss as of lately and this was for sure a hit with me!!

The rest of the cast was great but I have to agree with Amazing Psycho Per Chloe Moretz stole the show and was easily my favorite character in the film!! This girl will be a great actress very soon and have a ton of great roles.

Also Mclovin......while I love to call him that may just have found the role to make me call him Red Mist instead...maybe....:tongue:

kungfusamurai

I agree about Nicolas Cage. He redeemed himself with this role. Unfortunately, well...I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it.

KFS

daisho2004

Seen Kick -Ass yesterday and I thought it was Great! One of the best movies out this year by far! Hit Girl was the best character in the movie, And I thought Nicholas Cage was great as Big Daddy! I want to see it again!

Guest WuxiaFan

Fellow Forum member and brother, KUNG FU BOB, strongly urged me to go see KICK-ASS. I had only seen one trailer for it and it looked like it would be a silly, teen-high-school, nothing of a movie. So, I happened to have a $5 coupon to my local theater and I was off the next day, so I said WTF and went.

:yociexp57:

BOY WAS I FREAKING WRONG ABOUT THIS MOVIE!! KICK ASS was one THE BEST movies I have EVER seen! EVER! And I don't say that very often and I don't say it lightly. IMHO, KICK-ASS is truly a masterpiece of film making.

First, the script is unbelievable. The way the script weaves in high school comedy and serious mafia killers is just brilliant. One minuet I'm laughing histerically, the next minuet I'm blown away by incredible blood letting and action, and the next minuet I'm on the edge of my seat squirming nervously early awaiting what's going to happen next. NO movie has ever taken me across the spectrum of emotions like KICK-ASS.

Second, the cast is superb. Aaron Johnson (Kick-Ass) was awesome along with Mark Strong (Frank D'Amico) and Christopher Mintz-Plasse (Chris D'Amico/Red Mist), but by far the best performances came from Nicolas Cage (Big Daddy) and Chloe Moretz (Hit Girl). CLEARLY, Chloe Moretz stole the show for me, as it seems she did for everyone else. After Hit Girl saved Kick Ass in the apartment scene where she just cleaned house, and I would say, "Ogami Itto style", I was just amazed! I only wanted to see more of her from that point on. I loved her Hit Girl custome, especially her purple hair! She reminded me of Ultraviolet! Chloe was then phenominal in the 2-part finale! Yes, I would consider it 2-part finale that just completely kick's ass (pardon the pun).

:yociexp100:

Third, the cinematography and musical score was just superb. The movie was shot in NYC and DP Ben Davis gave us some of the most incredible shots all throughout the movie, espcially in the action scenes. We could actually see what was happening and the cameras were mostly still. The musical score was just outstanding along with the special effects.

They left it open for a KICK-ASS 2, so one can only hope it would be as good the original! I'm ready for more Kick-Ass and Hit Girl!

:khi8m:

kungfusamurai

I wonder how they will approach 2. The first one was all about the ups and downs of attempting to be a super hero. Technically, Kick Ass himself isn't a super hero, I mean, he can barely fight, unlike Hit Girl, who seems to have extra human powers. :)

KFS

Guest WuxiaFan
I wonder how they will approach 2. The first one was all about the ups and downs of attempting to be a super hero. Technically, Kick Ass himself isn't a super hero, I mean, he can barely fight, unlike Hit Girl, who seems to have extra human powers. :)

He does know how to work the flying suit with the machine guns!

:khi5a:

Guest WuxiaFan

For those of you looking for a version of KICK-ASS that has ALL of the special features on DVD, here it is. It is the UK 3-Disc Steelbook Edition by Universal Pictures UK:

Kick-Ass Combi Pack (Blu-ray + DVD) Steelbook [2010]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kick-Ass-Combi-Pack-Blu-ray-Steelbook/dp/B003QXNBYU/ref=sr_1_3?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1283450167&sr=1-3

Universal Pictures UK emailed me the breakdown of what's on each disc:

DISC 1 Blu-ray

Feature

Feature Commentary

It's on the Comic Book Origin of Kick-Ass

A New Kind of Super Hero: The Making Of Kick-Ass

The Art of Kick-Ass - Galleries (Story boards, Costumes, On-Set Photography, Production Design, John Romita Jr. Art For The Film)

DISC 2 DVD

Feature

Feature Commentary

DISC 3 DVD

The Art of Kick-Ass - Galleries (Story boards, Costumes, On-Set Photography, Production Design, John Romita Jr. Art For The Film)

The US version by Lionsgate does not have the "Making Of" on DVD. They only put it on Blu-ray. :ooh:

:laluot_14:

Lionsgate

KICK ASS 2 has been greenlit according to Mark Millar but the script is still in the works. So that's good news :)

For those of you looking for a version of KICK-ASS that has ALL of the special features on DVD, here it is. It is the UK 3-Disc Steelbook Edition by Universal Pictures UK:

Kick-Ass Combi Pack (Blu-ray + DVD) Steelbook [2010]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kick-Ass-Combi-Pack-Blu-ray-Steelbook/dp/B003QXNBYU/ref=sr_1_3?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1283450167&sr=1-3

Universal Pictures UK emailed me the breakdown of what's on each disc:

DISC 1 Blu-ray

Feature

Feature Commentary

DISC 2 DVD

Feature

Feature Commentary

DISC 3 DVD

The US version by Lionsgate does not have the "Making Of" on DVD. They only put it on Blu-ray. :ooh:

:laluot_14:

Lionsgate

I'm starting to get annoying with this cheating of dvds. Why put no making of on dvd but add it on blu-ray? They've been doing stuff like that a lot lately.

I read some more on what could happen in KICK ASS 2: BALLS TO THE WALL as the film will be called. Here's what Millar said

Takes place right after the original film. Kick Ass has inspired a wave of amateur superheroes. Red Mist, on the other hand, inspired amateur supervillains. Imagine an all-out war between these amateur supergangs in NYC.

Just finished this on a rental. LOVED it!! I haven't laughed that much during a movie in ages. Action was well done (even the over the top bits) IMO.

BRING ON #2!!!!

I thought the movie was OK, overall action wasn't bad, HitGirl was one of the most unique and memorable characters in movie history and the finale was SUPERB

I read some more on what could happen in KICK ASS 2: BALLS TO THE WALL as the film will be called. Here's what Millar said

Takes place right after the original film. Kick Ass has inspired a wave of amateur superheroes. Red Mist, on the other hand, inspired amateur supervillains. Imagine an all-out war between these amateur supergangs in NYC.

Update: I read the KICK ASS 2 comic series and it is awesome!!!

Here's the latest on the film via Dark Horizons:

Matthew Vaughn will be unable to return to the director's chair because he will be filming X-MEN: FIRST CLASS 2 at the time Lionsgate wants KICK ASS 2 to begin production. Vaughn will be receiving a producer's credit.

A script has been written by CRY WOLF and NEVER BACK DOWN helmer Jeff Wadlow and Wadlow will be directing the sequel it looks like. However, new deals will need to be sought out for Aaron Johnson, Chloe Moretz, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse to return as they didn't sign for any sequels.

Morgoth Bauglir

So, it sounds like it'll be a long time before we can look forward to seeing a sequel. I have a feeling there will never be a sequel. They've waited too long.

Archived