The Sword With No Name (2009)

daisho2004

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just seen it. It's foremost a love story within a period/historical context. Court intrigue, political intrigue. Westerners coming to Korea, Japanese people that aren't too friendly. There are a few fights that are edited too quickly to my taste. It looks beautiful though.

But still: a love story. I wouldn't say it's highly recommmended, unless of course you like a dramatic romance.

daisho2004

Oh well I had ordered already before your review, so hopefully I won't be disappointed.

Just seen it. It's foremost a love story within a period/historical context. Court intrigue, political intrigue. Westerners coming to Korea, Japanese people that aren't too friendly. There are a few fights that are edited too quickly to my taste. It looks beautiful though.

But still: a love story. I wouldn't say it's highly recommmended, unless of course you like a dramatic romance.

Poelie !

Thank you for your summary ! I have also already ordered it , but is it REALY SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW :wink: then ? :squigglemouth::wink:

Also were do you recommend to order Korean movies & TV series ? I have only used YesAsia.com both the global & us sites . Format / region does not matter. English subtitles is nice but not necessary if they have the Korean subtitles . Thank you , I appreciate :nerd::angel: any suggested sites to order from ??

Xiexie Athena

Since you already ordered it: don't worry too much, just relax, get a glass of wine and watch the movie. What's slow for some is nicely paced for another

Usually I order dvd's from DDDHouse (always reliable), but Sensasian has more Korean stuff. You can also try koreandvds.com. I don't think I ever ordered from them so can't comment on reliability.

daisho2004

Athena: I order a lot of my Asia movies off of certain sellers on eBay, some people on here feel there nothing but Bootleggers but I haven't had any problems with them and the picture quality is superb and so is the English subtitles. Until they get a legit release and I'm only paying less then $10.00+free s/h I think I scored. I don't feel like waiting months to see certain movies that I have been dying to see.

Since you already ordered it: don't worry too much, just relax, get a glass of wine and watch the movie. What's slow for some is nicely paced for another

Usually I order dvd's from DDDHouse (always reliable), but Sensasian has more Korean stuff. You can also try koreandvds.com. I don't think I ever ordered from them so can't comment on reliability.

Poelie !

Thank you for your recommendations ! I Will definitely look into those sites , I have used Sensasian before but not for Korean stuff ! Please recommend anything you think I may like ! I love swords , but I am a latecomer ( to Korea ) except for all my Hwang Jang Lee & Dragon Lee stuff I don't have much from Korea.

I loved the Shadowless Sword despite it being "slow ' ! I started studying Korean after watching it, so as long ias any movie /TV series has original subs ( Korean ) I sort of manage ( WITH ERROR :tinysmile_angry2_t::squigglemouth::wink: I may add ) ! . So don't limit it to Eng subs movies .I realize this sounds weird but thanks to my LOVE OF Japanese/Chinese MOVIES I am working my way trough a degree in these 3 languages ( Not korean yet -that is just me messing around on my own ) , sort of a 2 for the price of 1 !! You learn languages & get to watch the best stuff around !

So again Xiexie ! Please list more movies or if this is not the right tread send a PM one day ??

Athena

Athena: I order a lot of my Asia movies off of certain sellers on eBay, some people on here feel there nothing but Bootleggers but I haven't had any problems with them and the picture quality is superb and so is the English subtitles. Until they get a legit release and I'm only paying less then $10.00+free s/h I think I scored. I don't feel like waiting months to see certain movies that I have been dying to see.

daisho2004 !

Seems like a nice " world " here to day ! Were on earth did all the " mean haters " go I wonder...:squigglemouth::xd::wink:... ? On second thought lets not think of that :bigsmile: !

I have hardly ever used eBay yet , but I will certainly check into it . My desire:tongue: for different movies always run faster than my financing:cry: for them so your suggestion comes at the right time :kiss: ! Either in a post ( or maybe there is one here already ) & by PM on recommended sellers ( esp. Korean movies ) ? Very APPRICIATED !!!

I am like you ,I don't wait for the region /import /rights always to come to US because you may wait forever almost !!

Xiexie Athena

PS. I know the recommended sellers/traders tread , but there is SO MANY ! ;)

Maybe you can narrow it down a bit ! Thank you !!!!

Athena, try this thread, maybe there's something there for you:

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8909

Some of my favorites are:Arahan (fun modern wuxia action), The Host (greatmodern monster movie), Shadows in the Palace (period mystery), Blood Rain (period crime/mystery), Frozen Flower (historical drama with some action), The King and the Clown (period drama), Musa (period war/action), Bichunmoo (period wuxia action romance), Sword in the Moon (period action), The Legend of Evil Lake (period ghost story), City of Violence (great modern action).

Good luck!

Athena, try this thread, maybe there's something there for you:

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8909

Some of my favorites are:Arahan (fun modern wuxia action), The Host (greatmodern monster movie), Shadows in the Palace (period mystery), Blood Rain (period crime/mystery),(historical drama with some action), The King and the Clown (period drama), Musa (period war/action), Bichunmoo (period wuxia action romance), Sword in the Moon (period action), The Legend of Evil Lake (period ghost story), City of Violence (great modern action).

Good luck!

Poelie !

That is a perfect little list !

I have been smart ( or could that be lucky ? ) enough to get "Shadows in the Palace ", " Frozen Flower " , "Sword in the Moon " just recently ! I love them all ! ( They are pretty good for women in general I think even if they are not martial/ sword fans) . With the " Sword with no name " I have coming "Bichunmoo ", "The Legend of Evil Lake " (I hope ,it is back ordered ;:squigglemouth: ..). I have seen Musa but only the US version is the Korean /region 3,6 better ?

So all in all, you either READ MY MIND or have VERY GOOD TASTE (!) ( Hmm ,but that is like saying i have it too :wink::wink: ! )

The tread you recommended is excellent , if I could just win the lotto to pay for them all at once :sad::sad::sad:.. Maybe I could start taking DONATIONS ?? ;P :angel::wink: !! (Kidding ..)

1 more question since you are in "the know " : How would you ( briefly ) differentiate between the later ( decade or more ) differences in the Korean Movies ( Successful ) - Taiwanese movies ( less successful )- Thailand movies ( the previous underdog ) ??

Feel free to add Singaporean & Malaysian productions . & Send me the bill for the written thesis I am requesting here !

( I probably can't pay it, but if I were rich I would !!:wink::wink: !)

Xiexie Athena :kiss:

Thanks for your kind words, Athena and hopefully you'll enjoy the movies.

But I wouldn't call myself "in the know". There are a lot of members on this board who watch and own far more movies than I do.

Since I mostly (where it concerns Asian movies) watch Hong Kong/Chinese movies and some Korean and Thai movies I can't comment too much about other countries.

The Thai movies I watch mostly for action/martial arts. I like Ong Bak (the first one), Tom Yung Goon, Dynamite Warrior (fun over the top) and The Sanctuary (with Russel Wong and Mike B) and to a lesser extent Chocolate and Raging Phoenix (both with a female hero).

Perhaps using the search function on this board will give you more info on these and other titles.

Oh and another one I really liked was Vietnamese: The Rebel. You should check that one out too.

Good luck!

Just watched this. It had beautiful sets and cinematography, however, the terrible CGi in the fights was intrusive and the direction was piss poor. Great to look at but not much else.

[i have been smart ( or could that be lucky ? ) enough to get "Shadows in the Palace ", "Frozen Flower " , "Sword in the Moon " just recently ! I love them all ! ( They are pretty good for women in general I think even if they are not martial/ sword fans) . With the " Sword with no name " I have coming "Bichunmoo ", "The Legend of Evil Lake " (I hope ,it is back ordered ;:squigglemouth: ..). I have seen Musa but only the US version is the Korean /region 3,6 better ?

I watched Shadows in the Palace, superb movie, Frozen Flower, incredible, fantastic, Sword in the Moon, pure action, Bichunmoo, with touch of romanticism but I adore Shin Hyeon Joon so I am subjective, The Legend of the Evil Lake, a little weak in the direction and some scenes, The Divine Weapon, definitively a masterpiece, Musa the Warrior, good movie indeed, Shadowless Sword, good movie but weak in some fight scenes, Strokes of Fire, real impressive, The Restless, an innovative script, and lastly The Sword with no name, weak for the abuse of CGI but really good.

More titles for watch please! :smile:

Alexandra

OK I got to watch this movie last night and I have to agree with Biozombie & Poelie reviews they were pretty much spot on. Beautiful movie, total love story, the action scenes weren't bad just wish the use of the CGI was better. And I wanted more action more so at the end, I thought the final battle scenes at the end were going to be off the hook, but were just OK, but it was a good movie. But don't go in expecting it to be a Wuxia movie, because that's not what you'll get. Still an enjoyable movie, another good movie made by The Koreans once again.

Archived