Legend of the Drunken Tiger (1991)

Buxbaum

Just saw a bit of Top Fighters 2 and there was this movie in it where she fights gangsters in civil war uniforms.

Was it the third movie with her on the documentation?

Maybe there is a list where all movies are written down. Sadly there weren't title cards for the movies.

Guest Yi-Long
Thanks for info King.

Is there a DVD for that movie with Cantonese audio?

That movie is a mainland production I believe, so it should probably have mandarin voices.

Kara is the best. Such a gorgeous woman and so talented as well. :yociexp56::yociexp77:

That movie is a mainland production I believe, so it should probably have mandarin voices.

Kara is the best. Such a gorgeous woman and so talented as well. :yociexp56::yociexp77:

Definitely. :yociexp83:

Taiwanese production according to HKMDB but it should still be in Mandarin. I agree with the rest of your statement.

Legend of the Drunken Tiger (1991) - This was not on my list of movies to watch, but I felt I *had* to watch it after the disappointment of watching Drunken Master 3. This Taiwanese cheapie features action direction from Robert Tai (Five Deadly Venoms, Crippled Avengers, Invincible Shaolin) and Alexander Lo Rei and features ex-Shaw Bros starlet Kara Hui Ying-Hung in a lead role. The movie feels like a prototype for Yuen Woo-Ping's True Legend, in which it's practically two different movies stitched together, the second being a tale of Chinese nationalism. The first half tells about the attempts to save the daughter of a condemned general from being forced to marry a Qing oficial (played by Ku Feng). The second half is about our heroes trying to rescue Chinese women from sexual slavery a la ISIS at the hands of foreign militaries following the quashing of the Boxer Rebellion (look fast for Alexander Lo Rei as na American military officer!) There isn't enough action here to really satisfy, especially from the lead (Chuí Kei-Wai, playing a historical figure named Chiang San, whom I don't know anything about), whom the director almost didn't feel confident enough to let loose. Robert Tai and Alexander Lo Rei bring kung fu back to its old school roots here, with little of the over-the-top wire stunts that defined Once Upon a Time in China that same year. Chiang San does some OK drunken boxing (his form work is better than his applied techniques), but who really shines in the action is Kara Hui, who kicks, stabs, slashes and spears her way past the hero in one of her best post-Shaw roles. Watch the movie mainly for her.

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 3