Joy Sales Legendary Collection - "Hate" Recommendations!

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

Hi guys

I really enjoyed Morgoth's "Hate" thread (http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10645) recently, and it reminded me just how much I love the insanely paced 80's modern day action kickboxing movies from so long ago!

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like so many of these movies are unavailable on DVD, and indeed there are many forgotten about gems within the genre...which is a shame considering what a great part of martial arts cinema it is.

That being said, I'm aware that the Joy Sales Legendary Collection has put so many movies out, even if not in the best condition, over the last few years...so I decided to check out the catalog to see what may be worth picking up.

Unfortunately though, my knowledge is not as good as I'd like it to be, and I'm sure many people on here would know much more than I do. So what I wanted to ask was, what movies from this collection fit into the category of what I'm looking for and are worth going for?

Any help would definitely be very much appreciated!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont have many but i would recommend Broken Oath , Skyhawk, Beach Of The War Gods and Himalayan..All anamorphic widescreen, not remastered but worth the cost...Gonna buy Tournament soon....Sorry just realised it was 80's cinema you wanted..but these are good 70's ones...:-)

Shaw Brothers Official All Region DVDs Here

picture.php?albumid=92&pictureid=2405

So what I wanted to ask was, what movies from this collection fit into the category of what I'm looking for and are worth going for?

Killer's Nocturne is a heavyweight contender!

Alex Man, Chin Siu Ho, and Chris Lee delivering both wicked action & emotive, respectively.

cheers

Manozen

One Armed Boxer
Killer's Nocturne is a heavyweight contender!

Manozen....bingo! This is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for!

Ok...it's the first one in the shopping cart, any other recommendations would be great!

any other recommendations would be great!

A Bloody Fight

Tsui Siu Keung, Gordon Liu, Lau Kar Leung.

A Fiery Family

Tsui Siu Keung, Gordon Liu.

cheers

Manozen

One Armed Boxer

Manozen, thanks again....have you seen any of the following?

'Angry Ranger'

'The Big Heat'

'Fatal Vacation'

'Fury'

'Touch & Go'

Fist Of Boss

'The Big Heat'

That is highly recommended,one of best modern day hk movies I` ve seen.Very solid action flick I prefer this over numerous works of John Woo or Ringo Lam.

Angry Ranger - Fury - The Big Heat - Fatal Vacation - Touch & Go

All five are great movies IMO, an excellent selection thus far!

cheers

Manozen

chilly bong

Angry Ranger is a must if you like 80s style kickboxing.

The others don't have much in the way of hand to hand fighting but they're all worth seeing, especially The Big Heat.

Forbidden Arsenal, In the Line of Duty 3, and Sea Wolves are all available from Joy Sales.

Edit: Touch and Go does have 'great but short' Sammo Vs Billy Chow fight near the end.

One Armed Boxer

Wow thanks guys...they're all going in the cart for a purchase when next pay day rolls around!

Actually yesasia has 77 pages worth of Joy Sales DVD's, most of which are from the Legendary Collection...so I really need to scroll the whole thing one day and ask about any other titles that catch my eye on there.

Just to elabortate a little further about what I'm looking for, similar types of movie where discussed in this thread - http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6449.

I have been wanting to get my hands on 'Mirage', 'Naughty Boys', & 'Retreat of the Godfather' ever since I saw the clips that got posted there...intense!

Keep them coming if there are any further recommendations!

kungfusamurai

What is this 'hate' term? I'm still getting used to 'shapes' 'bashers' and 'glass'. I think they should be called 'AIDS Jokers' because there's usually at least one AIDS joke in these films. :)

Does 'Those Merry Souls' count as a 'hate' film? That's a good one. I have the VCD, but I'm thinking of getting the DVD.

Are you just looking for Joy Sales discs only, or the genre in general? I searched out by actor or actress like Billy Chow, Ken Lo, Yukari Oshima, Moon Lee, etc... to find out titles I'd be interested. Before youtube, it was hit and miss, but now you can preview them there. Here's one movie you should add to your collection, even though it's not Joy Sales - Godfathers Daughter Mafia Blues

lodwRhcyn0g

KFS

One Armed Boxer

Kungfusamurai...as far as I'm aware, the term 'hate' isn't actually the name of a certain type of kung-fu movie...Morgoth just titled his thread that way to describe the intensity of the fights on display in the clips.

The reason why I asked about the Joy Sales Legendary Collection specifically is because, for the most part, they seem to be readily available and are very reasonably priced. Plus the fact that they're all packaged in the silver sleeve makes them look good together on the shelf!:wink:

But if you have any movie which you think definitely fits the bill but isn't in the collection, please mention it!

I took a look on youtube at the 'Those Merry Souls' trailer...it looks to be one of the countless Mr Vampire inspired supernatural action comedies that came out in Hong Kong around the same time, with liberal doses of Cantonese comedy...I was looking more for action minus the comedy.

kungfusamurai

Cool. That Godfathers Daughter Mafia Blues movie is still available through dddhouse. If you search by names like Moon Lee, you're going to come up with some nice flicks. Same with Yukari Oshima.

KFS

I bought a Joysales legendary DVD the other week and it just reeked of some strong chemical/packaging like smell...is that common?

or was it jus probably the storage space of seller i bought from

I bought a Joysales legendary DVD the other week and it just reeked of some strong chemical/packaging like smell...is that common?

They all seem to have that smell.

kungfusamurai

You don't like that 'new car' smell on your DVDs? :)

KFS

You don't like that 'new car' smell on your DVDs? :)

KFS

Yea I dont mind them, but for some reason the smell of JoySales DVDs is just evil lol

.as far as I'm aware, the term 'hate' isn't actually the name of a certain type of kung-fu movie...Morgoth just titled his thread that way to describe the intensity of the fights on display in the clips.

morgoth knows where that term hate comes from :wink:

Very helpful thread! Just placed an order at Yesasia for the following titles:

Angry Ranger

Fury

In the Line of Duty III

A Bloody Fight

The Big Heat

Now I just need to find the time to actually watch them.

One Armed Boxer
Very helpful thread!

Agreed! Thanks for all the replies! I finally took the time to trawl through the 77 pages of Joy Sales titles over at yesasia, and 10 titles got my interest...if anyone could offer any opinions on them before I decide weather to part with my money or not it would be greatly appreciated:

Sworn Brothers

Road Warriors

Who Holds The Golden Key?

Taking Manhattan

Sting of the Scorpion

The Hellfire Angel

A Heroic Fight

Fingers on Triggers

& I know these 2 don't technically fall into the description of what I was after, but they got my curiosity anyway! -

Her Vengeance

Evil Cat

The best find of scrolling though the pages was discovering that 'Naughty Boys' is actually available on DVD! That's great news, and probably shows how long it has been since I last checked for it's availability, if only I could have found 'Mirage' as well!

Morgoth Bauglir
morgoth knows where that term hate comes from :wink:

Yep, I got it from you rdenn, king of the hate clips.

One Armed Boxer, I haven't seen any of those movies you listed in your last post:eek:

Here's some other movies that have some good hate-

Ninja Holocaust (mainly for the final fight and Cassanova Wong's kicking)

Code of Honor aka Brotherhood

Tiger on the Beat

Angel aka Midnight Angels

blue_skies

I am unfamiliar with a lot of the titles in this thread but I will second Morgoth's selection of Tiger on the Beat, assuming it's the one with Chow Yun Fat and Conan Lee.

I would also say I didn't think much of In the line of duty part 3.

ill be interested to see these myself, i've got a few of these joy sales DVDs/VCDs in my collection but always looking for more because i enjoy these type/era of films, no matter how many times it has been overdone, violent triad/police/vigilante films..

One Armed Boxer
Here's some other movies that have some good hate-

Ninja Holocaust (mainly for the final fight and Cassanova Wong's kicking)

Code of Honor aka Brotherhood

Tiger on the Beat

Angel aka Midnight Angels

Thanks for the recommendations Morgoth...out of the movies listed I`ve only seen `Tiger on the Beat` & have the HKL DVD.

Good movie, & worth it for the chainsaw fight...but I didn`t particularly enjoy the fact that many scenes seemed to be dedicated to Nina Li, who essentially played an innocent, being smacked around by Chow Yun Fat...it all seemed a bit excessive.

I checked around on the net for reviews of the other 10 movies I listed, and for what I`m looking for at least, most don`t seem to fit the bill...although I couldn`t find any reviews of `Who Has The Golden Key?` & `Fingers On Triggers`!

However `A Heroic Fight`, `Her Vengeance`, & `Evil Cat` have all definitely been added to the cart...they all look like they`re worth a purchase!

Archived