Who or what killed the genre?

falkor

Wires killed it, they were used effectively from the mid 70s to the mid 80s when mixed in with real acrobatics and great kung fu, then the wire fu wirlwind choreo took over, I'm not a big fan of Tsui Hark's KF movies because of his choreo or the movies around this time.

So imo Sammo-Jackie-Pops or HumorFu had nothing to do with it, even though those movies were comedies they had some great fight scenes.

Hollywood killed everything.

Ninja Assassin... Avatar... Jackie Chan Babysitting... those aren't movies.

It's good to know John Woo is back home making movies again.

In my opinion it was the redundancy of the time. A lot of movies had the same plot line, with the same actors, done on the same set. For all the talk about Hollywood remakes, a lot of the kung fu flicks of the time were rehashes of other kung fu flicks of the time.

Even though there were a few stand out films, there were less and less good films as time went on, so different folks tried different things, which is why Jackies 80's efforts were looked at and are looked at as special. Times had to change to break up some of the monotny.

Fang Shih-yu

mpm74 makes a good point! How much different "Enter the Dragon" would've been if Warner Brothers (OR Robert Clouse) had not been involved! If Bruce Lee oversaw everything like he did on "The Way of the Dragon", we'd be seeing a VERY different movie! Still, how far should we blame Hollywood? The need for [bad] English dubbing that sometimes deviated greatly from original translations? The clamor for more movies after Bruce died that resulted in all his imitators? The creators of "They Call Me Bruce?":cry: We could go on about Hollywood all day, but Warner's distributing "King Boxer" way back when was the first step in a long journey to the DVDs (AND these forums) we enjoy today!:bigsmile: It's a love/hate relationship, martial arts movies and Hollywood....:bigsmile::sad:

thedirtytiger

If you read contemporary magazines like Cinemart, Hong Kong Movie News etc. it appears to be simply boredom, there were too many films too similar and people just got bored. Romance movies from Taiwan somehow became in vogue ( boring to me ) and the action genre moved into modern days and cop sockey to try and survive. I wish we could have a revival of late 70's style personally as I never get bored of it. Still dreaming....:sad:

its time that slowed down everything...in the 50's it was hercules and barbarians....in the 60's was westerns..in the 70's was martial arts and cop movies...in the 80's was modern martial arts and horror....90's was special effects...and now the cycle starts all over but all together...westerns,ancient greece-egypt,modern martial arts and heavy cgi movies.but superhero and comic book movies are taking over for a long time to come....cause thats the only thing i look forward to these days

The collapse of Taiwan's film industry has to factor into the decline as well. Another thing is the poor exportation of them with the cheesy dubs and etc.

But if you ask me, it was not completely dead. It just transformed from the big silver screen production to the small TV serial production.

Anyways, this thread will be tested with the release of Gallants.

This is nonsense. If people were getting bored with Kung then why is it a couple of decades later, a lot of the public are familiar with Jackie and Samo's 80s hits, yet have never seen Warriors Two or a proper Kung Fu film from the 78/79 period?

it's all about business, people wont keep watching guys , girls and kids imitating annimals and then fighting white hair men. I'm surprised we got as many as we did. but I'm glad we did.

a lot of the shape pullers went to do TV in the 80's and did even better shapes on the small screen, shapes of that level will never return in a new film, "Ip Man "prooves this, good as it is the fighting quality is well below Warriors two, Prodigal son or Gambling Ghost, the choreographers are too

old and the young guys coming up have not got the foundation to do the shapes neither have the actors.

MonkeyPlanet
This is nonsense. If people were getting bored with Kung then why is it a couple of decades later, a lot of the public are familiar with Jackie and Samo's 80s hits, yet have never seen Warriors Two or a proper Kung Fu film from the 78/79 period?
It's Sammo and yes I have seen Warriors Two. Even The Iron-Fisted Monk. Also I consider Chow Yun-Fat to be quite a good comedian.

Glad I wasn't pulled into one of your schemes.

Fist Of Boss

mainstream audiences are not into "proper" kung-fu films.Not even in hong kong.I have gotten many my friends to screen few 1970`s Shaw+independent studios and films like Dragons Forever,Dragon Family,Angel Series,some wire-fu flicks like Donnie Yens Iron Monkey and Swordsman...

Not one choosed proper KF over those movies made later.Storyline or choreography in older movies not good enough.Can`t blame them thoughTastes..I have never understood why someone can watct Star Trek over and over again.

You think proper kf is better ( and I agree you there) but it`s not mainstream stuff anymore.Not been in decades and it was never mainstream outside asia.And mainstream is where money comes from.

There is only one thing that "killed" the large scale traditional kung fu cinema and that is modernisation aka Father Time.

As the asian countries developed and more people rammed into the urban cities and commodities such as cars and guns became more common, the cinema "evolved" to reflect these changes as this is wat people could relate with.

Also remember that post-WWII USA became a true global superpower and had lot of presence in Asia, so the american Hollywood cinema would have lot of influence on people there, whether it be producers or the viewers.

I was born in the late 80s and grew up in the 90s, and if given choice between watching a traditional martial arts film and a modernised one I would choose the modernised one because it is what I grew up with and can relate to.

i feel that kung fu movies in general simply burned themselves out---but the lack of serious story lines and the ridiculous and unfunny slapstick comedy didn"t help. by the end most of them were just jokes and shells of their former selves. even most of the last shaws were getting pretty lame---i often think how much better a movie like LEGENDARY WEAPONS would have been if they had made it serious--- i have a copy of it but if i ever do watch it again it will be just to see the end fight---what a waste of talent---but an excellent example of why the shaws and kung fu movies in general were about to bite the dust. :sad::tinysmile_angry2_t:

Personally, I love classic kung fu. But from the viewpoint of a western audience, there's only so many times the old "kick-out the Ching, bring back the Ming" storyline will wash. As with any genre, you innovate or die. Sadly, it died.

The Amazing Psycho Per

What is nonsense? Many people have seen Warriors Two... Look at the top lists on the forums...

I agree with Fist of boss. The reason why some people don't dig in those years is beacause it's old stuff. It's a more choreographed and somewhat balletic form of kung fu and some don't like it. Some people don't go see old classics from other genre either you know...

You know I can't stand most of the choreo. before 77... And you obviously focus only on movies with shapes... Why would this be more right? Did you just discover that there is a world around you where not everyone thinks and acts the same? You know, because you think something is awesome those not make it so for everybody.

Did the genre ever really die? We have Ip man 2 on the horison. There are TV series starring old favorites. KF movies are still alive & kicking for me.

how can you compare ip man versus real kung fu movies of the 70's rotf

But there are films to still discuss, people who still like them, and enthusiasm for the genre. It's good to see.

Killer Meteor
how can you compare ip man versus real kung fu movies of the 70's rotf

Because there is more to kung fu movies then the kung fu. Otherwise, we might as well watch National Geographic docs on the Shaolin temple.