The Last Godfather (2010)

AlbertV

Dark Horizons:

CJ Entertainment are set to co-produce, finance and distribute the $13.4 million crime comedy "The Last Godfather" says Variety.

The film follows a mafia boss who trains his mentally impaired son Younggu to be his successor. Harvey Keitel, Michael Rispoli and Jason Mewes have supporting roles.

Comedian and filmmaker Shim Hyung-Rae ("D-War") helms the project, wrote the initial draft (which Alec Sokolow and Joel Cohen revised), and will star as Younggu.

Shim created the bumbling character for TV during the 1980's and has since gone on to play him in at least a half dozen films.

Filming is currently underway in Los Angeles for release around the end of the year.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
(which Alec Sokolow and Joel Cohen revised)

I read that as Joel Coen and for a moment I waited for the universe to explode from the sheer improbability of it all.

Reviving another old one.

This movie was horrendous. I almost wondered if Kitel needed the money so badly. Most of the budget probably went to his salary. I really wanted to like this movie despite the questionable D-War. Shim Hyun Rae's brand of Korean comedy from the 80's doesn't work. Unless you know what your getting yourself into and don't care. This movie isn't worth watching.

Shim stopped paying his employees and they filed a lawsuit. Part of the suit was alleged abuses around office. He tearfully pleaded in front of the press about his money situation claiming that all the money he had in the work was put into his company Yong Gu Art and spent on the movie he had. The judge forced him to file for bankruptcy, sell the company HQ building and pay back the employee and investors.

Sad, since in the 70's and 80's Shim was one of the most famous and sought after comedic actors in Korea.

I have to admit, I liked it. I knew it wasn't going to be a masterpiece so I saw the film in my "get ready for cheesy comedy" mode and in that mode, I thought it had some funny moments, especially when Shim is with Michael Rispoli and the late John Pinette.

Jason Mewes actually made a decent villain, a total turn around from his usual typecast stoner guy from Kevin Smith's movies.

So it's an okay movie, just go in with lower expectations.

Archived