Silent Flute 'Remake'

greenbamboo

greenbamboo

http://liveforfilms.wordpress.com/2010/04/16/bruce-lees-silent-flute-to-be-moviefied/

What can be said about Bruce Lee that hasn’t already been said? Probably lots, but I’m too tired to think of anything so fill that bit in, chuckle, then move on.

Before his death in 1973 (year of my birth…coincedence? Am I the reincarnation of Lee? No) Bruce had written a treatment for a martial arts film called The Silent Flute.

Now Paul Maslansky is developing the treatment into a feature. Maslansky has previously worked on Return to Oz and Police Academy so take that how you wish.

According to Variety, Maslansky produced an earlier version of the movie in 1978 called Circle of Iron with the late Sandy Howard. This version had quite a cast and centered on a martial artist rebel (Jeff Cooper) on a quest for the “Book of Enlightenment” and the various trials that educate him in Zen philosophy. Bruce Lee had written a part for himself as a reluctant mentor, which was played in the film by David Carradine; Christopher Lee, Roddy McDowall and Eli Wallach also appeared.

Maslansky’s son, Sasha Maslansky, is writing the new screenplay based on Lee’s original treatment. Bey Logan, Sasha Maslansky and Kurt Fethke will serve as producers, with David Tadman and Steve Kerridge also attached to the project as co-producers.

“‘The Silent Flute’ will be an epic martial arts adventure film that promises to honor Bruce Lee’s original artistic and philosophical conception,” said Paul Maslansky, who is exec producing. “It also promises to reach new levels of action and adventure never before seen in martial arts filmmaking.”

What do you reckon? Martial arts magic or direct to DVD? Who should star?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fail.

:yociexp107:

I could see Tony Jaa as the student (doubt that a Hollywood producer would bank on him though, assuming that Tony doesn't speak english), what would've been James Coburn's (!) role in the originally planned version, but who today could play Bruce's multiple roles as the teacher/guide? Please, not another David Carradine/actor not martial artist type! Maybe Mark Dacascos? Oh, maybe Donnie Yen! But can Donnie act, carry the dramatic aspects of the roles?

If The Silent Flute does get (re)made, I hope it gets major studio backing, meaning a good budget, director, & supporting cast. Maybe Sammo Hung could choreagraph/action direct, he came the closest to Bruce Lee's on screen fighting style. Too bad Brandon Lee's gone, too, I remember reading somewhere that he was considering The Silent Flute as a potential project at some point.

greenbamboo

Well Bruce did the choreography so the fight scenes should be good. Sammo Hung being involved is a great choice. The martial artists will make or break it. The guy Cooper who played Cord was crap. Bey, DT & SK being involved is a good thing - all big bruce lee fans who would want to do a top quality remake.

kungfusamurai

I like the fighting done by the guy in this flick from 2004 called Fighter In The Wind. But it's been several years, I don't know if he's still got it.

6YRdYZBnVtM

KFS

I like the fighting done by the guy in this flick from 2004 called Fighter In The Wind. But it's been several years, I don't know if he's still got it.

6YRdYZBnVtM

KFS

When you've got it, KFS, you've got it!

Lots of those MA action stars out of Korea are awesome! It's a great place to start. Look at Rain, and what he was able to morph himself into for Ninja Assassin... and he's not even a real Martial Artist!

Jason Scott Lee probably be a good choice. Don't hit me too hard i am kinda new to this forum. :tongue:

He may be yet another to consider for the production, I'm not certain which role you may be think of?

Archived