Lau Kar Leung : Shaw Movies

David Rees

Having recently watched all of Lau Kar Leung's Shaw directed movies heres my short opinion of each....These are films he directed for Shaws only.

SPIRITUAL BOXER (1975): ok first directorial effort, mixes comedy and kung fu in the same manner as Drunken Master ,which was made three years later. 6 / 10

CHALLENGE OF THE MASTERS (1976) : Excellent Wong Fei Hung film with good cast and choreography. 7.5 / 10

EXECUTIONERS FROM SHAOLIN (1976) : Introduced Lo Lieh playing Pei Mei, great all round film, climax is a bit of a letdown. 7.5 / 10

36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN (1978): The first real training film, great performance by Gordon Liu, definate classic . 9 / 10

HEROES OF THE EAST (1978): Chinese vs Japanese but done in the true spirit of martial arts, great weapons and empty hand fighting, one of my favourites. 10 / 10

SHAOLIN MANTIS (1978): David Chiangs best fighting performance i think, good story and amazing weapons fight, even the end has a twist. 8.5 / 10

DIRTY HO (1979): Not very engaging characters, but some unusual action choreography and very well shot. Somewhat overated in my opinion. 7/10

MAD MONKEY KUNG FU (1979): Director is lead actor and a great all round kung fu film that has a lot of re-watchable scenes. Classic. 9 / 10

SPIRITUAL BOXER PART 2 (1979): A rare miss-step for the director this is a boring comedy with little action to redeem it...4 / 10

CLAN OF THE WHITE LOTUS (1980) : I know this was supposed to be directed by Lo Lieh, but i have heard that Lau Kar Leung had a lot to do with it and it shows. A brilliant classic film which should be in every fans collection...10 / 10

RETURN TO THE 36TH CHAMBER (1980): Comedy twist on the usual Shaolin story but still although heavy on comedy has some great action. 8 / 10

MARTIAL CLUB (1981): Another great Wong Fei Hung film with a great end fight in an alley with Wang Lung Wei. Fabulous. 9 / 10

MY YOUNG AUNTIE (1981): Overated action / comedy which has dated badly but saved by a blistering finale which i can watch again and again. 7 / 10

CAT VS RAT (1982): Cantonese comedy which really doesnt go anywhere, a dissapointment when you think who was involved. 5 / 10

LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA: (1982): Again very hyped, but very good kung fu movie with again a great performance from the director. Comedy interludes dont help but a fantastic end battle. 8 / 10

EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER (1983): Brilliant, superb, what more can be said. The ultimate pole fighting film, great performaces, brutal end fight and a sadness that Fu Sheng never got to finish his role...10 / 10

LADY IS THE BOSS (1983): Again too much comedy makes part of this almost unwatchable, good end fight but you may find yourself fast forwarding to it....5.5 / 10

DISCIPLES OF THE 36TH CHAMBER (1985): One of his last for Shaws, its an ok story of San Te and Fong Sai Yuk. Good choreography but a bit flat... 7 / 10

I think thats it, would like to hear others opinions on the pops Shaw output.....

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fang Shih-yu

Nice, brief rundowns on Lau Kar Leung's Shaw era! Of the ones I've seen, your opinions are the same as mine, though I might give "Legendary Weapons of China" 7/10! Fu Sheng's segment should've been edited down!:tongue:

lillippa328

I agree on most of these... i woulda bumped up Martial Club to a 10 tho...Love that movie!! Brilliant!

also woulda gave Disciples of 36 a 8 atleast...

Aw, My Young Auntie is actually one of my favorite Lau Kar Leung movies. Gordon Liu in that blond wig just kills me. I enjoyed Lady is the Boss, too. Actually, I don't think he directed a single film that I didn't like at least a little bit.

Aw, My Young Auntie is actually one of my favorite Lau Kar Leung movies. Gordon Liu in that blond wig just kills me. I enjoyed Lady is the Boss, too. Actually, I don't think he directed a single film that I didn't like at least a little bit.

I'd rate these higher too, they're more comedies and it is great to see these actors ham it up for a change.

LKL has the tendency to take the comedy just a little to far, then there's that sqeaky wheel song he uses in most of his movies:neutral: ah it's freaking annoying lol

Hey Isn't "Martial Arts of Shaolin" starring Jet Li his last Shaw Brothers film. I think you forgot that one.

Some of the action in Cat Vs Rat is astonishing. I like Cantonese comedy, and would easilly rate it a 8/10.

I think Martial Arts Of Shaolin wasnt made by Shaws, just distributed by them... I would give it 8 / 10...:wink:

"Martial Arts of Shaolin" was Directed and choreographed by him. I known that film was made by the Shaw Brothers but was not filmed at their famous studio it was filmed in Mainland China. I love your ratings they match mine perfectly excepted for me "The 36th Chamber of Shaolin" would have a 10/10, My Young Auntie 9/10, Dirty Ho 9/10 legendary Weapons of China 9/10 the rest all match Mine. :wink:

Just curious what would you give "Drunken Monkey" It was his last Shaw Brothers film I forgot about it. :smile:

Fist Of Boss

SPIRITUAL BOXER Hot

CHALLENGE OF THE MASTERS (1976) Hot

EXECUTIONERS FROM SHAOLIN Not Movie is considered classic by many but I feel after excellent opening it goes downhill.Slowly though..

36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN Hot

HEROES OF THE EAST Hot

SHAOLIN MANTIS Hot

DIRTY HO Hot

MAD MONKEY KUNG FU Hot

SPIRITUAL BOXER PART 2 Not

CLAN OF THE WHITE LOTUS Hot

RETURN TO THE 36TH CHAMBER Not

MARTIAL CLUB Hot

MY YOUNG AUNTIE Hot

CAT VS RAT Hot Final I did not like but movie has so many good things be4 that so I think it`s Hot.

LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA: Not

EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER Hot

LADY IS THE BOSS Not

DISCIPLES OF THE 36TH CHAMBER Not

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Challenge of The Masters and Shaolin Mantis (a 10 in my book) are his best efforts in my opinion. Actually Shaolin Mantis tops em all pretty easily. When it comes to overall accomplishment in one film by him, anyway. Mad Monkey Kung Fu starts of pretty amazingly.

Drunken Monkey, I thought, felt exactly like what it was: a bunch of talented, experienced old school guys who really knew what they were doing, but they were a bit rusty and past their prime, and they didn't have the resources of 1970s Shaw Brothers behind them. I enjoyed it quite a bit, considering that. A commendable effort.

SPIRITUAL BOXER (1975): 6.5 / 10

CHALLENGE OF THE MASTERS (1976) : 8 / 10

EXECUTIONERS FROM SHAOLIN (1976) : 8/ 10

THE 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN (1978): 10 / 10

HEROES OF THE EAST (1978): 10 / 10

SHAOLIN MANTIS (1978): 8.5 / 10

DIRTY HO (1979): 9/10

MAD MONKEY KUNG FU (1979): 9 / 10

SPIRITUAL BOXER PART 2 (1979): 4 / 10

CLAN OF THE WHITE LOTUS (1980) : 8 / 10

RETURN TO THE 36TH CHAMBER (1980): 8 / 10

MARTIAL CLUB (1981): 9 / 10

MY YOUNG AUNTIE (1981): 9 / 10

CAT VS RAT (1982): 4 / 10

LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA: (1982): 9 / 10

EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER (1983): 10 / 10

LADY IS THE BOSS (1983): 6/ 10

DISCIPLES OF THE 36TH CHAMBER (1985): 8 / 10

MARTIAL ARTS OF SHAOLIN (1986) 8/10

DRUNKEN MONKEY (2002) 7/10

This thread just inspired me to re-watch all of Pops Shaw Brothers Classics. Lau Kar-Leung seems to do his best when he balances his Tight action with comedy(Heroes Of The East,Dirty Ho ,Mad Monkey Kung-Fu, Martial Club, My Young Auntie) or in doing more serious films(Challenge Of The Masters,The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin, Shaolin Mantis, Legendary Weapons Of China and Eight Diagram Pole Fighter) . When the comedy becomes the main focus it doesn't feel right (Spiritual Boxer 2, Cat vs Rat and The lady is the Boss)

Fist Of Boss

This thread just inspired me to re-watch all of Pops Shaw Brothers Classics. Lau Kar-Leung seems to do his best when he balances his Tight action with comedy(Heroes Of The East,Dirty Ho ,Mad Monkey Kung-Fu, Martial Club, My Young Auntie) or in doing more serious films(Challenge Of The Masters,The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin, Shaolin Mantis, Legendary Weapons Of China and Eight Diagram Pole Fighter) . When the comedy becomes the main focus it doesn't feel right (Spiritual Boxer 2, Cat vs Rat and The lady is the Boss)

That is right.Kung-Fu comedy must be one of most difficult form of cinema to get it right...Often I will find chinese comedy/slapstick tedious.When comedy part fails I will easily lose interest to fights and storyline also.

LKL and Jackie Chan of course among few others have well balanced movies of kf and comedy but I prefer my asian movies dead serious.Or when comedy involved then best it`s over the top like in excellent shaolin drunkard:wink:

MarsHarmony
Actually, I don't think he directed a single film that I didn't like at least a little bit.

Some of the action in Cat Vs Rat is astonishing. I like Cantonese comedy, and would easilly rate it a 8/10.

I agree with Wolcott and kaleyboy! except I think I like them even more than a little bit and ALL the action in Cat vs. Rat is astonishing.

I am not overly fond of the voice they used to dub Fu Sheng in the English version of Legendary Weapons of China, however, it is far better in the region 3 version.

Great to see quick reviews on the films though, even when we have our different views, good job there!

kungfusamurai

I love all of pops films, some more than others. The early ones are cool. Not too many like Executioners From Shaolin for some reason, but I think it's my favorite. Sure, it doesn't have the fastest choreography, and Wang Yu has the fugliest hair style, but it's just a great film from Gordon Liu's fight that ends him dying standing up, to Wang Yu accidentally finding Pai Mei's weak spot. I don't think of Legendary Weapons of China as being better. The finale is great, but I think the finale for Martial Club was way more interesting. But that's just me.

Out of all of his films from that era, Cat Vs Rat is the least memorable. I don't even remember if I sat through that one.

What about Shaolin Vs Wu Tang? It's ALMOST Shaw Brothers. :)

KFS

"Martial Arts of Shaolin" was Directed and choreographed by him. I known that film was made by the Shaw Brothers but was not filmed at their famous studio it was filmed in Mainland China. I love your ratings they match mine perfectly excepted for me "The 36th Chamber of Shaolin" would have a 10/10, My Young Auntie 9/10, Dirty Ho 9/10 legendary Weapons of China 9/10 the rest all match Mine. :wink:

I thought it was Taiwan that "Martial Arts of Shaolin" ( & a few of the great others in the Shaolin series ) were filmed. While ( 2 years period )Chang Cheh was setting up his company producing for Shaw . Sorry if I am wrong !!

Xiexie Athena

kungfusamurai
I thought it was Taiwan that "Martial Arts of Shaolin" ( & a few of the great others in the Shaolin series ) were filmed. While ( 2 years period )Chang Cheh was setting up his company producing for Shaw . Sorry if I am wrong !!

Xiexie Athena

No they're definitely filmed in mainland china. You can tell just by the scenery alone! :) Plus the style of fighting is typical of the mainland china films. They seem to do certain moves you don't see in HK or Taiwan KF films, like when they're down on the ground and they spin up feet first into standing and fighting position.

KFS

Xiexie Athena

I think your thinking of "Shaolin Martial Arts" (1974) which was directed by Chang Cheh in Taiwan. We are talking about "Martial Arts of Shaolin" (1986) directed by Lau Kar Leung and filmed in Mainland China. Both were choreographed by Lau Kar Leung and Produced by Shaw Brothers. :nerd:

KungFu Scorpion

It's great to see people who recognize how talented Lau Kar Leung is. It's also good that he finally gets the recognition he so deserves with his Life Time Award. I like All of his films and have appreciated his work before I even knew who the heck he was.

So congrats to one of the Kung Fu and Kung Fu Movie Champions Lau Kar Leung.

KungFu-Scorpion

www.Kungfu-Movie-Madness.Com:nerd:

LKL is my favorite MA director

From what I've seen

Challenge of the Masters (1976)-I need to re watch this because I remember being really bored but I dont really remember much so I think I may have been in a bad mood.

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (1978)-9/10 Classic

Heroes of the East (1978)-10/10 My all time favorite kung fu movie, everything in the movie from the acting, writing, comedy and fighting is perfect

Shaolin Mantis (1978)-4/10 or 9/10 I am conflicted about this movie because on one side the fighting is amazing and I really liked the first half but on the other side the storyline was so incredibly stupid that it ruined the movie for me

Mad Monkey Kung Fu (1979)-8/10 great movie

Return to the 36th Chamber (1980)-9/10 I loved this movie, I thought the idea of kind of spoofing the first film was great

Martial Club (1981)-10/10 Awsome movie

My Young Auntie (1981)-10/10 This movie is not for everyone but I enjoyed the comedy and the fights were fantastic

Legendary Weapons of China (1982)-9/10 LKL in a starring role is great as I think he is a great actor aswell as martial artist. I also loved the ninja like stuff aswell as all of the Fu Sheng scenes

The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter (1984)-10/10 WOW, I just watched this last night and was blown away, totaly lived up to the hype.

Disciples of the 36th Chamber (1985)-7/10 Good film

Drunken Monkey (2003)-9/10 This is the first LKL movie that I saw. I got this at a local video store a few years before I really got into kung fu films so I had no idea who LKL or Shaw Brothers were but I loved this movie.

Archived