City of Darkness (1999)

fiol

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The story is typical, but it has some pretty decent fighting. Donnie Yen has more of an extended cameo, but the film really stars David Cho (from Kung Fu Kids) and some other teens and Taiwanese martial artist Lee Law, but Collin Chou, Billy Chau, and Kim-Maree Penn play villains in the film.

The Running Man

Hey fiol, please report back on the quality of the DVD. It's from Kam & Ronson and they've been all over the place. Some were good and some are shockingly poor.

Hey fiol, please report back on the quality of the DVD. It's from Kam & Ronson and they've been all over the place. Some were good and some are shockingly poor.

sure, as soon as i get it ^^

One Armed Boxer

I've had this one sitting on the shelf for a while, but finally decided to give it a watch based on some comments that were made over in the 'Kung Fu Jungle' thread.

It's a fun mess of a movie, and looks much more like it was made in 1989 rather than 1999. It's hard to believe that while Yuen Woo Ping was choreographing 'The Matrix', Donnie Yen was doing this. Speaking of Yen, I thought most of the reviews I'd read were speaking figuratively when they mention that he just shows up for the actions scenes, but it turns out they were being literal. Basically whenever his partner is in trouble and needs a helping hand, he turns up and whoops ass the way, well, Donnie does.

Thankfully though Yen is a welcome addition to what's essentially a goofy but entertaining kung-fu movie, rather than being the only reason to watch it. The plot is some nonsense about 3 lost siblings finding each other via a broken jade pendant, each of whom has a piece, that when put together leads to a buried treasure. Or something like that. Some police man helps them out (who's partner is Donnie), and the performers playing the roles all know how to kick as well as being very agile and acrobatic, which results in plenty of decent fight scenes that involve some pretty impressive falls and impacts.

On the bad guys side you have the triple threart of Colin Chou, Billy Chow, and Kim-Maree Penn. Oh, and there's a head henchman who knows how to bust out the moves as well. Having these guys all in the same movie together is almost reason enough to give it a look - we get Yen facing off against both Chow & Chou in separate fights, and several of the other fights interspersed throughout are a healthy combination of two on ones or three on ones which are fluidly choreographed. Both Chow and Penn look great whenever they get to dish out the pain.

All in all it's a throwaway effort, but for those that like their fights fast and frequent, you can do a lot worse than 'City of Darkness'....and it deserves an additional point for making me wince, when one poor guy has a plate thrown at him which literally smashes him in the face. That had to hurt.

donnie should do more roles like his character in this movie he was realy funny, who else turns up to a end fight late becuase they were getting dressed :bigsmile:

sifu iron perm
donnie should do more roles like his character in this movie he was realy funny, who else turns up to a end fight late becuase they were getting dressed :bigsmile:

white folks..:wink:

One Armed Boxer
I...I think I have this, but haven't watched it in years. May have to go rooting around for it.

You know that while I was watching it, I was actually thinking "ShaOW!linDude would probably enjoy this." Disclaimer: I don't always think about you while watching movies.:tongue:

ShaOW!linDude
You know that while I was watching it, I was actually thinking "ShaOW!linDude would probably enjoy this." Disclaimer: I don't always think about you while watching movies.:tongue:

Aw, man! It's like you gave me a present and then took it away.:cry:

Archived