The Amazing Spider-Man

AlbertV

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely different pics...the costume is so-so...

I do like the fact they are using real stunts instead of CGI though from the looks of it...so far.

I'm sorry I still don't know why this series needed a total overhaul for! Granted part. #3 had to much going on in it, it shoulda just stuck with 1 or 2 Villains tops! They crammed to much into it, thats why it failed. But It didn't need a new Actor playing Spiderman maybe a new Director!

TOBEY Rules!

• Administrator

Though I thought a reboot was totally unnecessary, I was open-minded. A teen Spidey- as he was originally written- great! But they've got a 25 year old guy playing him? I'd have rather seen Justin Beiber playing him! And the new suit? Look, I've kept my crying about superhero comic-to-the-silver-screen costume changes to a minimum (Fine to lose the white boots, but they couldn't even put a decent skull on the Punisher's chest?! :tinysmile_angry2_t:), but this suit blows! WTF? Really? Really? REALLY?! :neutral:

ShaOW!linDude

Been nothing on this thread in a while. (Probably for good reason.)

Here's a link of Stan Lee talking about his cameos in Marvel films.

He spoils the one for the upcoming Spiderman film so watching it is your call. You were warned.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167361-stan-lee-spoils-his-amazing-spider-man-cameo

ShaOW!linDude

I agree with the caption at the top left on the cover.

That costume rendition is just horrible.

The web-shooters look cool though.

Guest Yi-Long

I liked the first publicity-shot of the suit, but the later pics look awful.

Also saw the teaser-trailer this afternoon and it looked horrible: a mature guy playing a teenager, very dark, very 'emo'. Hate it.

I liked the first publicity-shot of the suit, but the later pics look awful.

Also saw the teaser-trailer this afternoon and it looked horrible: a mature guy playing a teenager, very dark, very 'emo'. Hate it.

Well, as most of us have our doubts, there is a redeeming factor. I am reading the EW article on the movie and they have done away with the CGI-action of Raimi and using more practical stuntwork here, meaning that there is wire rigging used as seen in a few on-set photos, but as for the jumping buildings bit, expect more stunts than CGI.

Guess we'll have to see come 2012

Guest Yi-Long
Well, as most of us have our doubts, there is a redeeming factor. I am reading the EW article on the movie and they have done away with the CGI-action of Raimi and using more practical stuntwork here, meaning that there is wire rigging used as seen in a few on-set photos, but as for the jumping buildings bit, expect more stunts than CGI.

Guess we'll have to see come 2012

I didn't really mind the CGI in the Spider-Man trilogy, but it wasn't great either.

How much is their budget for this movie btw? I bet they could have financed 1 or 2 TV-seasons of a completely CGI-show for that money (like the Star Wars CGI TV show), which would be able to stick MUCH closer to the original story and also tell much better individual small storylines.

ShaOW!linDude
How much is their budget for this movie btw? I bet they could have financed 1 or 2 TV-seasons of a completely CGI-show for that money (like the Star Wars CGI TV show), which would be able to stick MUCH closer to the original story and also tell much better individual small storylines.

I agree with you but you know what the studio heads would do. They would reason that as they're spending this money on a season's worth of CGI eps for the show that they should retool the character and try to tell a more mass appealing story with him.

Dude, we both know that.....there is no escape from entertainment executives and their Goblin bag of trite ideas.:tongue:

For those who don't know about Peter Parker's parents here's the lowdown on why Peter was left to be raised by Uncle Ben and Aunt May, from Wikipedia:

Captain Richard Parker, a decorated soldier of the United States Army Special Forces, was recruited by Nick Fury to the C.I.A.. His much older brother, Ben Parker, was married to May Reilly Parker.

Mary Fitzpatrick was the daughter of O.S.S. agent "Wild Will" Fitzpatrick. She attended the best schools and eventually followed in her father's footsteps, becoming a C.I.A. translator and data analyst.

Richard and Mary met on the job, fell in love, and married. Originally they eloped, then later had a more elaborate service, fooling many. Mary became a field agent like Richard, giving them both an easy cover as a married couple. They were assigned to investigate Baroness Adelicia Von Krupp, who had captured an agent of a "friendly power" (who turned out to be Logan, aka Wolverine, then a Canadian operative called Agent Ten). They rescued Logan from the Baroness and Baron Wolfgang von Strucker. After that mission, they discovered that Mary was pregnant; Logan was actually the first person to congratulate the Parkers, commenting later that he never saw an agent as tough as Richard Parker go that white that fast.

Their son Peter Benjamin Parker was born some months later. However, Richard and Mary were frequently away from him on missions. While they were away, he was left in the care of Richard's older brother Ben and his wife May.

While on a mission to investigate Albert Malik, the third Red Skull, they posed as traitors and double agents to infiltrate his criminal organization in Algeria. Unfortunately they were discovered. Malik framed them and brought in an assassin called the Finisher to kill the two. Finisher sabotaged their airplane and caused it to crash. They were subsequently declared missing in action/presumed dead[1], as two burnt bodies were found in the remains.

Seeing the trailer here, I have mixed feelings about it. I just hope they don't drag too much in the middle and keep the practical action intact.

Seen the trailer twice and it really isn't working for me. I realise there's a lot of money to be made with the Spidey brand but surely there are better ways than a remixed remake of a film that's ten years old?

And this whole ret-con of PP's parents: why Marvel felt the need to make them psuedo-Bond figures with ties to the Marvel Universe is beyond me.

Peter Parker was always more interesting as an ordinary joe.

Maybe I'm just too old and crusty to dig Spidey anymore! :tongue:

The brand new trailer...I'm actually thinking...well, this actually may look better than I imagined

TJIZUjaNL8E

ShaOW!linDude

I have to admit that I agree.

However.....once again we have a superhero running about unmasked which totally defeats the purpose of maintaining a secret identity and all because studio heads don't want the face of their leading man covered up. They need to get over it.

Guest Yi-Long

It's still the same problem of having actors who are in their 20's playing teens, and who will be looking too old to play the characters 5-6 years from now...

I seem to be the only one that thinks this looks dismal. It's not that different from the first Tobey McGuire film, it seems.

The thing that sold me about the original trilogy is Tobey was Peter Parker. I've read and/or owned the first 100+ issues of Amazing over the years plus read a good 100 or more issues. I've known PP for 30 years and when Tobey came along, he just fit the mold. I remember typing up this short article about it way back in 2000.

Sure, story is important as is solid co-stars and villains but if the main character doesn't gel, then its a hard sell. It was the same way for Christopher Reeve and Superman. He will always be, for me, the one and only.

I'm not dismissing this new S-M film. I'm sure it will bring in plenty of bank for the studio but when you replace the lead, who seemed a perfect fit, its difficult to get excited about it.

Guest Yi-Long
The thing that sold me about the original trilogy is Tobey was Peter Parker. I've read and/or owned the first 100+ issues of Amazing over the years plus read a good 100 or more issues. I've known PP for 30 years and when Tobey came along, he just fit the mold. I remember typing up this short article about it way back in 2000.

Sure, story is important as is solid co-stars and villains but if the main character doesn't gel, then its a hard sell. It was the same way for Christopher Reeve and Superman. He will always be, for me, the one and only.

I'm not dismissing this new S-M film. I'm sure it will bring in plenty of bank for the studio but when you replace the lead, who seemed a perfect fit, its difficult to get excited about it.

Yeah, Tobey was a very good Peter Parker in the first movie. 2nd one was already stretching it a bit, and the 3rd one with the whole emo-thing with the black suit and a script that was going everywhere was time to say goodbye to Tobey and Raimi. It was just a mess.

TBH, and I've said this many times before, I think you'd be much better off if you would just make these movies completely in CGI, so you can focus on the story and bring many different movies for a fraction of the budget of a live-action movie, plus it's the best way to stay close to the original design and not having to worry about casting and actors who grow too old after 3-4 movies.

odioustrident

Am I the only one who thinks the action sequences look much more presentable than almost anything in the other 3 films? Mainly talking about the cgi.

I will say this really does look better than I thought as well and yes I do agree that Tobey owned the role of Spider-man as well. I wish they would've given him another chance at it. But still I cannot wait to see this one!

Archived