Gallants (2010)

BLfan

just finished THE GALLANTS.

wow! excellent! old school martial arts stars in a contemporary setting. goes to show what film-makers can acheive without a big budget and CGI horsecrap! highly recommended:angel:

Totally agree with you, I just finished watching this. I will definitely be revisiting this one a lot and introducing it to friends (when I can).

Watched this last night :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

Now this is what you call a homage! Unbelievable they shot this in 18 days! and I'm sure on a shoestring budget, it was so great to see Lo Mang and Chen Kuan- Tai go at it, was a little disappointed Wai Chan Man didn't get in on the action but it showed heart that none of these people were your typical evil characters, more clouded by money if anything, I can see the ending being a letdown for some but it hit the right spot for me.

Teddy Robin was hilarious in this, I wasn't expecting to laugh so hard at his character, he was some older musician in Hong Kong? I guess he wrote the outstanding score, has he been in any other movies? I'll have to look up some of his music.

Great great uplifting movie!

TibetanWhiteCrane

I really like his title song for the 1979 flick Cops And Robbers (not to be confused with the nightclub theme). It's on YouTube, a beautiful tune coupled with the movies intro scene of the slum children playing. Great film as a whole too.

Sweet man, thanks, I looked it up and some other music of his in youtube, seems he was/is quite popular in Hong Kong. Theres a video of him playing with his son, pretty cool.

• Administrator

Teddy Robin Kwan was a huge music star in the 1960's! Along with two of his brothers they formed the pop band TEDDY ROBIN AND THE PLAYBOYS. Teddy sang and played guitar. After they became popular he acted in a Shaw Brothers flick called THE PRICE OF LOVE (1970). He's directed- COPS AND ROBBERS, the film TWC mentioned he did the theme song for- produced, written, acted in, and created music for many Hong Kong films, especially i the '80s and early '90s. He's probably best known to English speaking audiences for his role as 'Boomer' in Jackie Chan's TWIN DRAGONS.

Glad you guys dug this film! I thought it was hilarious too, and share your thoughts on the story and Chan Wai-Man.

The directors said that it was a really difficult shoot, one of the hottest Hong Kong summers, and that the veteran actors couldn't have been better. They especially praised Bruce Leung for his tireless dedication and professionalism. They said that it was scorching hot on the set, they were on an extremely low-budget so the shooting schedule was short and arduous. Yet Bruce, at 62 years old, pouring sweat and working like a dog, would always perform take after take to get his action scenes perfect- never complaining. They said they feared for his life as he was working so hard under such intense circumstances, and that he took several hard shots (which he simply waved off) from the other action actors during flubbed choreography.

I loved this movie, and it was awesome getting to meet Bruce at the screening.

Teddy Robin is friend of the Cheng family for years. Director Clement Chang has known him since childhood. I know Clement pretty well. He was dying to do a commentary on the R1 dvd, but the company wouldn't get back to him! :P

• Administrator
I know the film's director pretty well. He was dying to do a commentary on the R1 dvd, but the company wouldn't get back to him! :P

Those jerks!

That would've been great. Just the bits that you've told me he related to you were very interesting. I'd have loved to hear an AC by him.

The region 3 DVD has a short but decent "making of" feature on it. Well worth checking out for fans of the film.

This movie has become one of my faves. It would be nice to see an U.S. blu release with dir commentary and outtakes if possible. I was most impressed with Bruce Leung and this movie made me a fan of his. Going into the movie I would have to say that I didnt have much knowledge of his previous work; though had seen a couple of films he had been in. Terribly under/miss-used in Kung-Fu Hustle though.

• Like 1

I'm using this forced stay at home to catch up with some movies. Gallants being one of them. Really enjoyed this one! Seeing some of the most famous oldschool stars back in action was a joy to watch.

Not sure how much they may have used a stuntman for some of the fights but Bruce Leung was busting some mad moves. For me he was the standout star here. But also credits to the rest of the cast, all of them did a good job.

Only downside for me was that they didn't use any of the tournament setup which is a bit unfortunate.

Overall this is a very entertaining movie with some great fights, some comedy and overall good cast. Highly recommended!

Edited by laagi
  • Like 3

On 4/23/2020 at 2:59 AM, reason108 said:

I was sad gallants never made it to Blu-ray but can watch the dvd whenever.

It was released on German Blu-ray unfortunately with only german subtitles.

Yesterday, I watched Gallants (Spectrum release). I found it just a so-so movie, though I enjoyed watching Chen Kuan Tai and Bruce Liang. I think that Teddy Robin stole the movie, it became more interesting after his "resurrection", and I would have liked to see Chen Hui Min exchanging some movements with the three veterans.

There were some holes in the plot, in my opinion, especially a lack of explanations regarding Shaw Yin Yin's and Teddy Robin's relation.

The end of the movie says "did you understand something ? I didn't" and well...I wasn't far to think the same regarding the last fight and the conclusion, but I still enjoyed the movie, though I don't know if I'll watch it again.

• Like 2

Chu Liu Hsiang

To me, the last fight's ensuing common laughter came from their realization that there are more important things in life than winning a fight, and  that after all they were on the same side. I enjoyed the movie, and especially loved that scene. 

Accented Cinema relates it to the status of Martial Arts movies in HK.

• Like 3