Gallants (2010)

BLfan

Just saw the dvd: what a fun movie!

I was really impressed with Bruce Leung. Though I heard of him I don't own much of his movies. If I may be so bold; what are the must haves of his work?

Thanks in advance.

• Administrator
Just saw the dvd: what a fun movie!

I was really impressed with Bruce Leung. Though I heard of him I don't own much of his movies. If I may be so bold; what are the must haves of his work?

Thanks in advance.

For some great action from Bruce, check out:

MY KUNG FU 12 KICKS

KUNG FU HUSTLE

CALL ME DRAGON

LITTLE GODFATHER

Has anybody seen this film yet?

Yeah, read back through this thread for people's thoughts on it.

Finally saw this today. The old guys still got it and can put on a performance. The movie is very well done and charming. I agree with the general consensus, Teddy just steals the show.

The thought that lingered afterward: Why aren't there more movies like this being made?

• Administrator
Thank you Kung Fu Bob

You're welcome. Hope we hear what you think of them once you've checked them out.

Finally saw this today. The old guys still got it and can put on a performance. The movie is very well done and charming. I agree with the general consensus, Teddy just steals the show.

The thought that lingered afterward: Why aren't there more movies like this being made?

Because, believe it or not, the majority of the Hong Kong audience (especially the youth) is very fickle and has a "Who cares about these "has beens" attitude". It's not like here in the states where we get excited about these guys coming together for THE EXPENDABLES. In fact, quite the opposite. The film's directors and stars said that all the studios scoffed at giving them money for this "box office poison"! But then actor/pop star Andy Lau stepped forward and said that he believed in the film, and put up the money to make it possible. Thanks Andy! :bigsmile: I haven't heard how it's done in Hong Kong. It would be great if the audiences really went for it. But I doubt it. Apparently we fans from the US, UK, Germany, Japan, etc all have way more nostalgia and respect for these classic kung fu stars than the people of their home country of Hong Kong. Weird huh?

It's incredibly sad. I always thought the Chinese would have more reverence for older stars, since they respect their elders more-so than Western cultures. There have to be a bunch of them itching for a chance.

Hopefully, it does well and we can see more.

Guest Yi-Long
You're welcome. Hope we hear what you think of them once you've checked them out.

Because, believe it or not, the majority of the Hong Kong audience (especially the youth) is very fickle and has a "Who cares about these "has beens" attitude". It's not like here in the states where we get excited about these guys coming together for THE EXPENDABLES. In fact, quite the opposite. The film's directors and stars said that all the studios scoffed at giving them money for this "box office poison"! But then actor/pop star Andy Lau stepped forward and said that he believed in the film, and put up the money to make it possible. Thanks Andy! :bigsmile: I haven't heard how it's done in Hong Kong. It would be great if the audiences really went for it. But I doubt it. Apparently we fans from the US, UK, Germany, Japan, etc all have way more nostalgia and respect for these classic kung fu stars than the people of their home country of Hong Kong. Weird huh?

No idea how the movie did at the box-office in Hong Kong, but my girlfriend is there now, and she mentioned she picked up the movie for me to her 'Khai Mah', and she mentioned she had gone and seen it at the cinema... so I was surprised by that. :)

I hope it did well. It's a shame that studio-execs seem to have a habit of always underestimating the audience...

I liked this one a lot. =D

IN some ways, sort of the "Expendables" of old-school kung fu movie.

I wish Jackie Chan would make a movie like this and thrown himself back into his 1970's/1980's flicks. Especially with Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung.

• Administrator
@ Kung Fu Bob...did you order yours from Yesasia or where? I did standard shipping from Yesasia, and it shipped out last weds 7/28 and still hasn't come! usually standard orders from them come in like 7 business days, this one is taking longer than usual!!

Hey mark187, did you ever get your copy? Did you dig it or what?

I liked this one a lot. =D

IN some ways, sort of the "Expendables" of old-school kung fu movie.

I wish Jackie Chan would make a movie like this and thrown himself back into his 1970's/1980's flicks. Especially with Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung.

Oh man, that would be so sweet. Sort of like GALLANTS where you have basically a classic kung fu movie plot that takes place in modern day times. I can see it now.

In fact... check it out: http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?p=137025#post137025

I just watch this movie last night and I thought it was really good, kinda reminded me of Stephen Chow's movies. The beginning was funny as hell. I just wish there was some more fight scenes at the end of the movie, I was hoping to see the fights in the tournament but overall I really enjoyed it.

Guest Yi-Long

Well... the girlfriend returned from Hong Kong, and she watched the movie last night with her mother.

In short, neither of them liked it. They didn't think it was very funny nor interesting. Oh well. Hopefully I'll get it this weekend, along with Tiger Cage 2 and the Ip man prequel... :)

emeraldforest
Right on! Bruce, Lo, Teddy, and Chen lit that screen up!!! :bigsmile:

yeah mon!!! what a great movie!!! :bigsmile:

movie of the year... so far

can legend of chen zhen top it???

we will soon see :wink:

xie xie kungfuBob!!!

• Administrator

At the end, when Bruce walks off the stage, a big dude with a long ponytail walks past the camera to grab his autograph- that's me! :bigsmile:

It was great reliving this awesome event. Thanks to whomever filmed and posted it on youtube, and to Emeraldforest for linking it.

BTW- glad you and Rogue Warrior enjoyed the movie so much. :wink:

I just watched this, including the making-of doc, and had a lot of fun watching it. However, it was a slightly bitter-sweet experiance: sweet that it was a great movie and fantastic chance to see so many wonderful old school stars in action again, and bitter 'cos it made me think of how many great old school guys, whose talents surely outshine the current action stars, are sadly being neglected and passed over. We need a few more movies like this, before that golden generation of kung fu stars are simply too old to perform.

I just watched this, including the making-of doc, and had a lot of fun watching it. However, it was a slightly bitter-sweet experiance: sweet that it was a great movie and fantastic chance to see so many wonderful old school stars in action again, and bitter 'cos it made me think of how many great old school guys, whose talents surely outshine the current action stars, are sadly being neglected and passed over. We need a few more movies like this, before that golden generation of kung fu stars are simply too old to perform.

Amen Brother!!!

Oh man...I know I'm late to the party on this one...but I finally got to see this and man, what a wonderful movie!! A total labor of love on the part of those involved!! As if I didn't need a reason to watch Bruce Liang even more I get his awesome performance in this!!

I was also taken back by how awesome both Bruce and Chen Kwan Tai's acting was!! It was totally awesome and moved me while I was watching it!!

Oh yeah on top of that Yuen Tak and the fights were beyond awesome!!

So in closing I loved it!!!

Thought it was pretty enjoyable. But was honestly a little disappointed after reading all the high praise for it. Not as funny as I was expecting. Action was good, but thought it needed more. Give it a solid 3.5/5