Gallants (2010)

BLfan

I had dinner with Bruce & then we showed him around Chinatown. His English isn't that strong - he jokes that it's bad because he didn't go to school - he understood some of what I asked him. There were many Cantonese speakers to translate, though. Saw him again today. He clowned around after the screening asking people to hit him in the stomach! The comments that Bruce made about the HK government were kind of awkward because of the officials of the HK business & trade office in the crowd. They gave away some t-shirts promoting Hong Kong. That's why I think his translator was so flustered. Also, she's not a translator, but works for Andy Lau. She never even expected to be asked to translate! Bruce asked her to on the fly! Bruce is a very blunt speaker, and he talks a lot. He seems to have a great sense of humor. I wish I knew Cantonese so that I could understand his jokes!

Thanks for sharing that. I'd be glad just to have an oportunity to wave hello at him, but dinner with him and hosting him on a tour? That's really something. Good for him to be honest as well.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Is this worth a purchase for those who have seen it?

I saw it at the NYAFF last Thursday, and personally, I can't wait to see it again. It's funny, but not stupid, has a lot of heart, a cool story, and brings back some of the genre's legendary kung fu actors... and they still kick some serious ass! If I could have, I would have watched it again already.

I saw it at the NYAFF last Thursday, and personally, I can't wait to see it again. It's funny, but not stupid, has a lot of heart, a cool story, and brings back some of the genre's legendary kung fu actors... and they still kick some serious ass! If I could have, I would have watched it again already.

Thanks I just pre ordered it

:nerd:

wizard12220

Have a chance to watch it last week, and I think it's an OK movie.

There is a fight between Chen Kuan Tai & Lo Mang.

I mostly enjoyed the old veterans (Chen Kuan Tai, Bruce Leung, Teddy Robin, Shaw Yin YIn, Chen Wai Man, Lo Mang, Ku Kuan Chung) performances.

I liked this. It wasn't prolific with fights, but it's not that type of movie. Given the physical limitations (real and story-imposed) of the master characters, I guess that should have been obvious. Still, when they did fight, you could feel like you were watching guys that have been doing this kind of thing their whole career.

As a regular movie, it's pretty entertaining throughout. The 3 old-timers are clearly the main attraction, and the script does well to make the viewer emotionally attached to their characters. Maybe not as much for Chen and Leung as it does for Teddy Robin, but maybe it's because those old-school kung-fu movies never went to far into fleshing out their characters anyway??? Considering that:

• This movie, in a lot of ways, is an homage to those past films.
  • They aren't the main characters.
  • The movie has a relatively short runtime.

it's pretty admirable that they got as much shine as they did. It definitely could have been worse if it were to focus purely on the main character and his little squabble with Jin.

If you're going in purely for the action, it may not be for you. Everybody else should be able to find this highly enjoyable. It's well-made, funny, a little bittersweet, but ultimately uplifting. Unlike a lot of the stuff coming out of HK, somebody took pride into making this film and it shows.

Good and enjoyable it was great seeing the old timers kick ass, Bruce Liang is amazing considering his age.

Not an all-out action fest but as said before, a nice homage to the past films.

Bruce Leung is a marvel for his age. I watched him slice a thick plastic chopstick in two with a napkin. I think he could kill a man with a toothpick & some bubble gum.

I finally got to watch this movie. I really enjoyed it and feel it can be enjoyed by KF fans and novices alike. The fights were great, but the performances are what i really loved. Seeing my favorites on screen again and actually fighting (using real kung fu) was a blast.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Bruce Leung is a marvel for his age. I watched him slice a thick plastic chopstick in two with a napkin. I think he could kill a man with a toothpick & some bubble gum.

Say what? :smile: How'd he do that?

I received my copy of GALLANTS today. The DVD looks fantastic. Plus, there's a 56 minute "making of" special with English subs!!! I watched a few minutes of it, and you can see Bruce taking some serious (accidental) abuse at the hands of his on-screen opponents. He takes a direct punch to the face, and as the guy is checking to see if he's okay, Bruce just smiles and waves it off. :smile: He's one tough hombre! :bigsmile:

@ Kung Fu Bob...did you order yours from Yesasia or where? I did standard shipping from Yesasia, and it shipped out last weds 7/28 and still hasn't come! usually standard orders from them come in like 7 business days, this one is taking longer than usual!!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
@ Kung Fu Bob...did you order yours from Yesasia or where? I did standard shipping from Yesasia, and it shipped out last weds 7/28 and still hasn't come! usually standard orders from them come in like 7 business days, this one is taking longer than usual!!

Yes, a friend ordered this for me from Yesasia, and he used standard shipping as well. According to him, my copy was shipped on the same day as yours.

Sorry to hear that you're still waiting on your copy. :squigglemouth: Hope it arrives soon.