Gallants (2010)

BLfan

Monk Sante
Just got home after dropping off everybody. The experience was great, the movie was terrific, Bruce Leung was very cool, and shined like a kung fu sun in this movie! :bigsmile:

Monk Sante- great to meet you! Though I wish we'd had some time to talk for a bit. (He's much taller than his avatar would suggest. :wink:)

I did manage to score an autograph! :nerd: I'm sorry Bengs- couldn't manage to get a second one for you. :squigglemouth:

And... took a bunch of pics. I'll post them tomorrow though, and give all you kung fu brothers and sisters some spoiler-free thoughts on the film too. I didn't really sleep last night, so at this point- 3:00 AM- I'm completely exausted. :smile:

It was nice to meet you as well KFB! Gallants was one hell of a movie! Here are some pics I took last night.

bruceleung12.jpg

bruceleung11.jpg

bruceleung10.jpg

bruceleung21.jpg

bruceleung20.jpg

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

The movie...

I loved everything from the casting to the credits. It's a great movie with a ton of heart, and it's like a tribute to those that practice in the true spirit of the martial arts. It's funny, touching, has great characters, pays homage to the classic kung fu films of yester year, but without getting hokey. The newcomers were really good, and the genre veterans- like fine wine- were simply exquisite! I was disappointed when Lo Meng (58 years old) didn't really get to show his skills in IP MAN 2, but that's not the case here. In GALLANTS he shines in two awesome fights with Chen Kuan Tai (66 years old)! Teddy Robin ("Boomer, where are you?!") is hysterical as Wan Sifu. Siu Yam-yam (The beautiful Shaw Brothers actress from films like HUMAN LANTERNS, BUDDHA'S PALM, CHINATOWN KID, and many more) has a great dramatic role as Dr. Fun. But Bruce Liang (62 years old) totally steals the show as "Tiger", and his fights (deservedly so) drew huge cheers and applause from the festival crowd. Chan Wai-man (64) sadly doesn't have any action scenes (still looks super fit though!), but like the other old school actors gives incredibly strong dramatic performances. Bruce and Chen really get to show off some fine acting skills here along with their kung fu, and both are fantastic. The action? Bye bye wires, choppy editing, stunt doubles, and CGI shennanigans (there's some FX work, but used to perfection, and not at all out of place)... hello freaking real-deal kung fu!!! Some truly jaw dropping exchanges are on display here, and often in nice long takes too. Lo, Chen, and Bruce still have incredible skills, and I'm so thankful we're getting to see them. These retirement age action actors put most 25 year olds to shame with their phenomenal physical abilities. Bravo! Also, the music and sound effects were spot on!

The Event itself...

Many thanks to Grady Hendrix and the other maestros at the New York Asian Film Festival for showing the films we love the way we love them, and getting unbelievably cool guests! Niiiiiiicccce.

Also, the audience was so enthusiastic and appreciative- I truly love you kung fu brothers and sisters! After far too many obnoxious, rude, multiplex audiences, you guys helped me to feel the joy again that I used to feel in the theater back in the gool ol' days. Respect!

Grady was a perfect, funny host. MC Jin was a humble, cool cat that made sure all the right people involved in GALLANTS got props, and he gave much respect to the genre, his directors, and fellow cast members, especially the veterans. It was so obvious how much he loved working on the film, and he made sure we knew it. His friends and family were there at the screening, sharing this exciting event with him, and the guy was practically glowing.

You could definitely see that Bruce was really moved by the audience's standing ovation and by how nuts we all went with our applause for him.Though he seemed a bit overwhelmed, and somewhat shy, he was very grateful, and was open with his feelings about the movie. He talked about how the film has an important message of love and brotherhood (which it certainly does- but don't worry- not at the expense of bone-shattering kung fu action!), and how proud he was of the film. He also said that he had never been to the states before, though he'd always dreamt of it, and that he would never forget the wonderful people and experience of his visit. Despite being in a hurry, as he had to catch a flight up to Canada for today's GALLANTS screening (don't miss it my Canadian friends!!!), he signed many programs and DVDs for us fans, affectionately shook hands, and posed for as many photos as time allowed.

Though my son thought the fight scenes were "just incredible!" he has sadly, not caught the kung fu movie bug. Hey, a Dad can dream right. LOL But my sister loved it, and like me, can't wait until it gets released on DVD.

One more thing- The reason I had an original theatrical poster of MY KUNG FU 12 KICKS to get signed by Bruce? Mr. Teako gave me that poster as a gift a couple of years ago. You rock buddy!!!

NYAFF2010019JPG.jpg

MC Jin and Bruce Liang take the stage after the NYAFF, 2010 showing of THE GALLANTS.

NYAFF2010022JPG.jpg

NYAFF2010025JPG.jpg

NYAFF2010030JPG.jpg

Bruce during his standing ovation.

NYAFF2010034JPG.jpg

The translator, Bruce, and MC Jin.

NYAFF2010036JPG.jpg

(from L-R) Grady Hendrix, translator (sorry Miss, I didn't catch your name), Bruce, and MC Jin.

NYAFF2010037JPG.jpg

NYAFF2010KNUCKLES.jpg

Check out Bruce's knuckles! He must still train very hard, as his knuckles have huge callouses on them still.

NYAFF2010Mewiththesignedposter.jpg

Me with my autographed poster.

NYAFF2010PostersignedbyBruceLiang-J.jpg

Monk Sante

Good review Kung-Fu BOB! You hit the nail on the head. BTW, I'll give you $1,000 for your signed poster of 'My Kung Fu 12 Kicks'! LOL :xd::tongue::wink:

Here is a pick my brother managed to take before Bruce decided to call it quits.

santibruce.jpg

Awesome write up Bob I'm even more excited to see this movie than before!!

The pics are totally awesome as well my friend!!

Glad you had a blast!!

Nice guys. Thanks for the pix and glad you all had a good time!

Bob - Is that poster the one you karate chopped poor Buddhawake for? :wink:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Great write-up, Bob! I love the pictures!

Thanks! :bigsmile:

Good review Kung-Fu BOB! You hit the nail on the head. BTW, I'll give you $1,000 for your signed poster of 'My Kung Fu 12 Kicks'! LOL :xd::tongue::wink:

Here is a pick my brother managed to take before Bruce decided to call it quits.

Glad you liked it.

:ooh: Not that I don't really dig this poster, but... in my current financial situation... SOLD! :bigsmile:

That picture of you and Bruce is so awesome man! Priceless. :bigsmile: I was hoping to get one with him too, but Bruce had to run.

Awesome write up Bob I'm even more excited to see this movie than before!!

The pics are totally awesome as well my friend!!

Glad you had a blast!!

Thanks Bro.

You're going to love this movie! It has something that we've talked about before on several occasions- a solid grasp and depiction of "martial spirit". You know how we always talk about how much we like that aspect of CHALLENGE OF THE MASTERS? Well GALLANTS has this too- big time- but actually has way more kung fu action than that Lau Sifu classic. Which reminds me...

All that praise that I gave the film, and I neglected to shout out to the two directors- Clement Cheng and Derek Kwok. You two gents are what this genre (and filmmaking in general) needs! I've seen too many examples of productions in the past that "had everything they needed to make a great movie"... but then made a shit movie anyway. So it's not just a case of "Hey, look at who they had to work with. Anybody could have made a great movie with them". TWINS EFFECT 2 had Jackie Chan and Donnie Yen in it. Yet... not exactly what any of us would consider a classic, right? Plus, these guys had the odds stacked against them- an 18 day shoot (!) during a brutal heatwave, a tight budget, many people shutting doors in their faces (saying "no one cares about these old stars anymore"), but still managed to knock it out way the f**k out of the ballpark! Way to go. :bigsmile: Can't wait to see GALLANTS again (and again), and whatever you guys do next. Consider me a fan.:nerd: Everything was really pitch perfect, with just the right amount of character stuff, drama, action, and even that special spice of animation, all pieced together wonderfully.

And Andy Lau- who stepped in to back the project when no one else would- right on bro!

Nice guys. Thanks for the pix and glad you all had a good time!

Bob - Is that poster the one you karate chopped poor Buddhawake for? :wink:

No, Buddhawake freely gave that one up. :angel: I forget which one we contemplated having the death match over. :xd:

emeraldforest

hey Bob! COOL pictures Brother! :)

wish i could go to Montreal! car wouldn't make it,

now u gotta get Ku Feng to sign the poster too:bigsmile:

i ask every week for this movie , since you love it so much, i know i will too :bigsmile:

CHEERS

(%)

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
hey Bob! COOL pictures Brother! :)

wish i could go to Montreal! car wouldn't make it,

Take a train. Hitchhike. Ride a bike. Bro, you shouldn't miss this in the theater. Did I mention there's a gorgeous young lady named JJ in it that also kicks ass? :wink:

now u gotta get Ku Feng to sign the poster too:bigsmile:

You mean Chen Kuan-tai? Ku Feng isn't in this one. He would have made a great addition to it though. :bigsmile:

i ask every week for this movie , since you love it so much, i know i will too :bigsmile:

CHEERS

(%)

It was just released in theaters in HK in June (3rd) I think. So it may be a while. :squigglemouth:

emeraldforest
Take a train. Hitchhike. Ride a bike. Bro, you shouldn't miss this in the theater. Did I mention there's a gorgeous young lady named JJ in it that also kicks ass? :wink:

:tongue:

You mean Chen Kuan-tai? Ku Feng isn't in this one. He would have made a great addition to it though. :bigsmile:

i meant the poster, thats ku feng :smile:

It was just released in theaters in HK in June (3rd) I think. So it may be a while. :squigglemouth:

movies r usually released on dvd same day as theaters in China.

so it should be here by now!

i got IP MAN 2 last week:wink:

Nice to read all of your reviews, thanks for sharing. I don't even know what the chance of this being shown in the cinema down here is, let alone having an opportunity like that with Bruce Leung in person.

A clip of the opening credits alone that I saw was enough to build my enthusiasm for it.

I'm glad you enjoyed the film Kung Fu Bob! If I still lived in NY state, I would have gone for sure! sounds like both Bruce and Chen Kuan-Tai will be at the Fanatasia screening, as well as Clement Cheng. too bad, gotta wait for the dvd. Remember though, the average time in between theatrical release and dvd release in Hong Kong is only 2 months, give or take a week. So, I'd assume the HK dvd of Gallants will be out late July/early August...cant wait! I haven't heard of a mainland release, but those are always worthless anyway. dubbed (if the film isn't Mandarin language), often cut, usually no subs...

Just a reminder that Gallants is playing tonight at 6:30 at the Hall theater at Concordia University, 1455 de Maisonneuve st. West! I'm glad you had a change of plans, A.P.P! I hope to see people there tonight!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
movies r usually released on dvd same day as theaters in China.

so it should be here by now!

Never heard that before. Wow! If you see a (official) copy in a store, please let me know. I would happily send you the cash to snag a copy for me. :bigsmile:

Nice to read all of your reviews, thanks for sharing. I don't even know what the chance of this being shown in the cinema down here is, let alone having an opportunity like that with Bruce Leung in person.

A clip of the opening credits alone that I saw was enough to build my enthusiasm for it.

Where are you located?

Again, sorry I couldn't get you an autograph.

I'm glad you enjoyed the film Kung Fu Bob! If I still lived in NY state, I would have gone for sure! sounds like both Bruce and Chen Kuan-Tai will be at the Fanatasia screening, as well as Clement Cheng. too bad, gotta wait for the dvd.

Unfortunately Chen Kuan-tai can't make it. But meeting Bruce and (one of the directors) Clement Cheng (who I was told is one of the nicest dudes you could ever hope to meet) will still be very cool. I Wish he could have made it to the NYC screening, as it would have been great to speak to Mr. Cheng, and ask all about the film's production. So I'm envious of you Fantasia guys. Due to time limitations though, as another film was about to screen, the talk after the NYAFF showing of GALLANTS was over pretty quick.

Remember though, the average time in between theatrical release and dvd release in Hong Kong is only 2 months, give or take a week. So, I'd assume the HK dvd of Gallants will be out late July/early August...cant wait! I haven't heard of a mainland release, but those are always worthless anyway. dubbed (if the film isn't Mandarin language), often cut, usually no subs...

I am psyched for the HK release! :nerd: If I were rich, and had a private plane, I'd fly up to see it again tonight.

I am psyched for the HK release! If I were rich, and had a private plane, I'd fly up to see it again tonight.

Same here! Can't wait to see & own this classic Blu-Ray. :tongue:

Just a reminder that Gallants is playing tonight at 6:30 at the Hall theater at Concordia University, 1455 de Maisonneuve st. West! I'm glad you had a change of plans, A.P.P! I hope to see people there tonight!

Why can't I find info on it playing ANYWHERE near the California East Bay??? :confused::confused::mad::mad::mad:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Why can't I find info on it playing ANYWHERE near the California East Bay??? :confused::confused::mad::mad::mad:

Right now it's only playing at Film Festivals. Without genre-loving festival programmers I doubt anyone in the US would have had a chance to see this movie in a theater.

We're lucky that we even get a few of the really high-profile Asian films released in our American movie theaters, let alone a low budget Hong Kong movie like this. If a movie likeKNIGHT AND DAY, a big budget supposed Hollywood "Blockbuster" with big stars like the Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz is tanking at the box office, do you thing this country's clueless hordes of texting teens are going to flock to see a Chinese language movie starring 60 year old stars? Not very likely.

Even in Hong Kong, the studios said that this film was unmarketable. However... it's a GREAT FILM! So all we can do as the one true, hardcore fan base for these kinds of films, is support them by buying the legitimate releases and pray that they keep making more flicks like this. That's why I keep plugging away on this forum about this movie. I'm hoping that everyone that can take advantage of it's being screened, will go and see it.

I feel for you Charuto. I wish you could just drive into town and see GALLANTS. But if it does gets a screening out by you... do what you can to drag as many of your kung fu brothers and sisters as you can to see it too. I hope it sells out at every show. Only then will more screenings become available. Showing movies is just business to theater owners and the people that book the prints. Only our ticket money will speak to these people in a language they'll understand.

Seriously. I mean, I knew I would have to go the film festival route, but I just figured that there would be one around here showing this. It's not like we don't have enough Asians here. Then again, we do bootleg a lot of stuff... :crossedlips::angel:

The Amazing Psycho Per

So, finally saw it. I liked it, maybe not as much as you guys, but I liked it. I don't have much to complain about.

To me this film belonged to Teddy Robins, he chew every scene he was in. Too bad his character wasn't on screen longer, because it's where the movie reaches it's peack. I don't know what it is, but he kind of reminded me of Jerry Stiller... Anyway, I don't know if it's something I would buy but I had a good time. Kudos for shooting this in 18 days!

I had a great time last night. There was a great crowd at the screening, and afterward Fantasia treated us to dinner with Bruce Leung, and Clement Cheng. Bruce actually prefers to be called "David"; that's his real name. He was very accommodating, answering questions through an agent of Andy Lau's Focus Films. He said that he considers Gallants his finest film, and that's it's the one he's most proud of. The whole thing was covered by Fairchild TV, so keep an eye out for their report. Bruce & Clement signed autographs for everyone who came up to them & answered fan questions for hours. They're both amazing, humble guys. We took a bunch of photos that I will post up here soon. Many thanks to Fantasia programmer King-Wei Chu for making this happen. It was really awesome.

The Amazing Psycho Per
There was a great crowd at the screening,

Yeah, when I arrived there weren't that many people in the line up, so I was scared it would be a little embarassing to have all this organised in front of a hafl-empty theater. But it ended up being nearly full. How many places are there at the Hall theater ? 600? 700?

It was kind of ackward when Bruce took some jabbs at his governement and his translator didn't want to translate at first, saying she was scared of being punished. Shows what kind of atmosphere reigns over there...

Where are you located?

Again, sorry I couldn't get you an autograph.

I am in Sydney. The occasional film does get limited theatrical release here, such as the "Ip Man" films, and "Legend of Chen Zhen" is going to be shown in September, but apart from that, very little in terms of action films. As for special appearances, the only thing I've heard of is a yearly festival hosted by TVB, hence only features one or two popular TVB cast members.

I tried to send a message through to Clement Cheng asking about a release for the film down here but unlikely I will get any response.

Doesn't matter about the autograph. Good that you got the chance and enjoyed it yourself.

I am in Sydney. The occasional film does get limited theatrical release here, such as the "Ip Man" films, and "Legend of Chen Zhen" is going to be shown in September, but apart from that, very little in terms of action films. As for special appearances, the only thing I've heard of is a yearly festival hosted by TVB, hence only features one or two popular TVB cast members.

I tried to send a message through to Clement Cheng asking about a release for the film down here but unlikely I will get any response.

Doesn't matter about the autograph. Good that you got the chance and enjoyed it yourself.

I'll pass on your question to Clement. Hopefully, other festivals will be picking this up. Oz isn't that far from HK, so I'm surprised that you guys don't get more HK films with all the expats there & all.

I'll pass on your question to Clement. Hopefully, other festivals will be picking this up. Oz isn't that far from HK, so I'm surprised that you guys don't get more HK films with all the expats there & all.

Thanks for your offer. I will definitely get the DVD but it would be a good experience to see it in the theatres. Even better if Clement came down here with Bruce Leung to present it but probably unlikely.

Just curious for anybody who got to approach Bruce Leung, did you try to speak to him in English and make any conversation or was it just getting a photo/autograph?

Thanks for your offer. I will definitely get the DVD but it would be a good experience to see it in the theatres. Even better if Clement came down here with Bruce Leung to present it but probably unlikely.

Just curious for anybody who got to approach Bruce Leung, did you try to speak to him in English and make any conversation or was it just getting a photo/autograph?

I had dinner with Bruce & then we showed him around Chinatown. His English isn't that strong - he jokes that it's bad because he didn't go to school - he understood some of what I asked him. There were many Cantonese speakers to translate, though. Saw him again today. He clowned around after the screening asking people to hit him in the stomach! The comments that Bruce made about the HK government were kind of awkward because of the officials of the HK business & trade office in the crowd. They gave away some t-shirts promoting Hong Kong. That's why I think his translator was so flustered. Also, she's not a translator, but works for Andy Lau. She never even expected to be asked to translate! Bruce asked her to on the fly! Bruce is a very blunt speaker, and he talks a lot. He seems to have a great sense of humor. I wish I knew Cantonese so that I could understand his jokes!