The Killer Blu Ray quality

waywardsage

waywardsage

I netflixed the blu ray this week and checked it out before i opened my bought one. It looks fine. Seriously, all this griping about an OLD LOW BUDGET Hong Kong flick?! Seriously. It looks as good as The Killer has ever looked! Plus, lets be real here. How much better will it potentially look? A lot of 80's films in the US have this sort of look. It was just the fuzzy filmstock they had back then.

I'm gonna open my Blu ray and enjoy it. For those that don't want too. Good luck finding ANY OTHER COPY of The Killer to watch thats still in print. It took Dragon Dynasty this long to put the film out. How long will it be before anyone else reissues it?!

For some reason there are a lot of John Woo's early work out of print in Region 1. I don't anticipate Hard Boiled to look much better when it's released on Blu Ray. It'll probably look pretty much the same as The Killer.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Plus, lets be real here. How much better will it potentially look?

The PAL HD master they had to work with looked better, let's put it that way. The DD blu-ray has ghosting issues due to an improper PAL-to-NTSC conversion, and it apparently has either compression or noise reduction issues (if not both). Basically, in short, it CAN look better. Hell, Fortune Star's HD master was probably better.

waywardsage

That being said. What do we do then? Not buy it? Not get to watch The Killer until someone releases it 10 years from now?

That being said. What do we do then? Not buy it? Not get to watch The Killer until someone releases it 10 years from now?

Buy the DVD... it's the lesser of two evils. At least that one is supposed to look like it's in standard definition... but it's still an improper PAL-to-NTSC transfer :sad:

waywardsage
i have Hard boiled on Blu Ray and its not great!
Which edition was this? What didn't look great about it?

That being said. What do we do then? Not buy it?

The proper response to defective merchandise is not to buy it.

I own the Dragon Dynasty Blu-ray and it's head and shoulders above any DVD version I've seen. If you have a Blu-ray player and you're a fan of the film, the current Blu-ray is the way to go until something better comes along.

dionbrother

Never thought THE KILLER ever looked good on video. Even the Criterion Laserdisc was a bit washed out and grimy.

Since I don't own a dvd of THE KILLER, the DD Blu Ray is probably the only way to go. After all, I do want to watch it again after 15 years.

Archived