Tai Chi II and The Tai Chi master

SilverRoc

Netflix has both of these and they look like the same movie with the same cast but different run times. I belive it is an edited down TV show but don't really know. Does anyone have some info on these? Thanks.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Amazing Psycho Per

They are not the same movie even though they have some similar cast and crew (Wu Jing, Yuen Woo Ping, Billy Chow, etc...).

Like you said The Tai Chi Master is a TV series that was edited into a movie by Tai Seng. It's a great watch if you get past the many jumps and hoops in the story caused by the editing process. The fights are top notch, espacially the pagoda-game-of-death-type of series of fights. Definately a must see if you like the nineties type of hk kung fu movies.

Tai Chi 2 is also known as Tai Chi Boxer and is not a sequel whatsoever to Tai Chi Master starring Jet Li. It's good but maybe a bit light on the quantity and duration fighting sequences.

Still a good viewing though, just not a top tier movie in my tastes.

Fang Shih-yu

In that vein, recall Yuen Woo-Ping was involved in the '74 Shaw Brothers film "The Shadow Boxer", which contained Tai Chi in it (though Yuen choreographed the "regular" martial arts only)! A great movie with Shih Szu and the late Chen Wo-fu....

"Tai Chi Master" is a great movie even though it is chomped down from a mini series, I would like to see the complete series, just to see how much action and storyline was left out.

Archived