Best Decade/Time Period in MA Cinema

Dale

Whenever a thread about a certain decade of MA cinema comes about their is always debate about which time period has had it better. So I thought I'd start a list thread for the discussion. My ranking would be.

1. 80,s

2, 70,s

3. 2000,s

I think I prefer the 80's due to the different style fight choreography and the more modern setting, also the sheer quantity of quirky good films is astounding . I'm guessing that 80.s 60's will dominate this thread but I'm not sure.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a difficult one. Each decade has its own successes and failures. I guess I would probably have to go with 1980s with so many great films from Jackie Chan, Sammo, Yuen Biao, Michelle Yeoh etc.

After that I can't decide between the 1990s and 2000s . both decades feature lots of my favourite movies so it's impossible to make a choice.

Can't say I can't say I think a lot of the Seventies since most of what I've seen has been pretty bad, in my opinion, with the exception of the odd film like knockabout and Bruce Lee. Although I'm not a big fan of his films he himself was terrific.

If this decade continues to go the way it is presently we could be in for an exciting 5 to 10 years as the Thai film industry improves all the time and other countries around the world trying their hands with some very good efforts coming from Korea, Vietnam, Japan and even the US. Legends like Jackie Chan and Jet Li are now being replaced by exciting new younger talents from all over the world. We might well be living through the most exciting period in martial-arts history? Who's to say? I'm very optimistic though.:xd:

Guest Yi-Long

The 2000's didn't have that many interesting MA movies, apart from the last few years and some Thai flicks.

Early 90's were good, but also kinda ruined by the wire-fu. My 2 favourite martial arts movies are from this era though, and luckily don't feature too much wire-fu. Fist of Legend and Drunken Master 2.

The 80's were pretty damn good, plus it kinda had everything: the early years were still old-skool, and after that it became more ambitious, original and modern. Also you had the fantasy and vampire subgenre's which were entertaining (Mr. Vampire, Chinese Ghost Story, etc).

70's were good for just having nice 'basic' kung fu stories, about vengeane and training and getting better, but occasionally the fight-scenes were too slow and crappy, with people basically going from long extended forms with eachother, instead of it looking like actual fights.

Each era has its positives and negatives.

Morgoth Bauglir

Silver Fox and dionbrother you were so close. Only 1 year off from a full decade. But, unfortunately, no awards are given for being close. Better luck next time. :kiss:

I'm gonna have to go with 75-84, just to include Little Superman.

Omni Dragon

favourite decade i would say 70's but best era from me probably 70-86

Archived