Fist of Legend DD Blu-Ray DVD Beaver Review

Ronin

DVD Beaver Review

In short, 1080p, good picture quality, no HD audio and possibly dubtitles instead of true subtitles. If someone can confirm that it doesn't suffer from the frame stuttering on the DD DVD, then I might pick this up.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DVD Beaver Review

In short, 1080p, good picture quality, no HD audio and possibly dubtitles instead of true subtitles. If someone can confirm that it doesn't suffer from the frame stuttering on the DD DVD, then I might pick this up.

I can live with the dubtitles and non HD audio. Good to hear the picture is a real HD source.

I can live with the dubtitles and non HD audio. Good to hear the picture is a real HD source.

Yeah, I compared the SD and HD caps myself, "upconverting" the SD caps in photoshop overtop the HD cap. Yeah, it's definitely legit HD. The dubtitles thing (and missing 30 seconds near the end) will piss me off, but the picture quality seems to be the best around.

Guest Yi-Long

So which would be the version to get of Fist of Legend!? The DD or the UK release!?

The ending is still missing, right!? With the guys running!? Plus it's obviously still the HK cut, and not the extended cut.

Guest Markgway

Those who've seen the CineAsia suggest that they're subs not dubtitles.

Might be best to compare them before anyone buys.

Very thorough review of the UK blu-ray:

Link

Confirms that the frame stuttering/motion blur is not present (thank goodness) and that subtitles are different from the DD DVD, but are still not great. Can anyone confirm that the UK blu-ray and the DD blu-ray are identical? I would imagine they are. If so, then I will probably pick up the DD blu-ray.

The Running Man

I wonder if the reviewer on that link saw the frame rate problems for himself or is taking it from second hand account. Some said they did not see these problems, even if there were obvious to some, some I wonder if that reviewer would fall in the latter or former group.

I don't own a Blu Ray player so I can't say for myself.

What was up with the frame rate issues? I've never seen that before on a dvd so why the hell did it have to happen with Fist of Legend? Bizarre. It didn't spoil it completely for me and the picture looked beautiful so still enjoyed it immensely, on the cineasia DVD that is, haven't seen the blu-ray. Lucky I've still got my old M.I.H.K vhs though :smile:

Is the Dragon Dynasty Tai Chi Master full of simalar type problems? I've heard a lot of bad things..

The Running Man

DD's Tai Chi Master is way, way worse video wise. Those motion blurs occurred practically after every cut and the colors were also off as you could see the wires quite blatantly and they weren't supposed to be like that. I was surprised DD allowed video like that to hit the store shelves.

Guest Yi-Long
DD's Tai Chi Master is way, way worse video wise. Those motion blurs occurred practically after every cut and the colors were also off as you could see the wires quite blatantly and they weren't supposed to be like that. I was surprised DD allowed video like that to hit the store shelves.

Why did that surprise you!? Doesn't seem to me they care all that much about quality-control. They know most customers won't bother looking up the reviews and fora first, and even when people are warned, you still have a bunch of the fans who will still buy it, regardless of quality, simply cause they love the movie. (idiots as we call them).

First they give us a cut and dubbed version to buy. Then a subbed and uncut but still fucked up version to buy. And probably in a couple of years we might have a chance of a perfect release.

Doesn't sound good then! I'll be sure to stay away from that one and stick with my Universe copy. How I love the washed out colours and bad subtitles...

What's wrong with DD? Honestly never encoutered motion blur like that on a dvd before.

The Running Man
Why did that surprise you!? Doesn't seem to me they care all that much about quality-control.

If you look at it, they're releases got worse and worse. That Tai Chi Master was a new low for them. And now we've hit the point where they are not even bothering to convert PAL sources correctly to NTSC and just dumping them on DVD5 discs without caring about compression.

I really wish they would just roll up and die and hand these titles over to Media Blasters, Discotek or Magnolia.

Guest Markgway

Just got the Cine Asia BD and I believe that the frame bluring issue is still present.

I haven't seen the Dragon Dynasty DVD so I'm only guessing that this flaw is the same one carried over.

Eg. the opening fight in the classroom when Jet kicks the chair away and the Japanese falls thru the desk. The first frame(s) of that shot blur like if the transfer was interlaced. It isn't, it's 1080p.

Does it happen there on the DVD?

The subtitles on the USA BD are different than the USA DVD and the UK BD. I'm not sure why they would put straight dubtitles on the BD when they had a marginally better track already done for them on the DVD, but they managed to not only fail to improve on the DVD but actually make it worse. Dragon Dynasty just doesn't care as much as it used to in the beginning.

Guest Yi-Long
The subtitles on the USA BD are different than the USA DVD and the UK BD. I'm not sure why they would put straight dubtitles on the BD when they had a marginally better track already done for them on the DVD, but they managed to not only fail to improve on the DVD but actually make it worse. Dragon Dynasty just doesn't care as much as it used to in the beginning.

They didn't really care much in the beginning either though...

They're incompetent. Always have been. Always will be.

Guest Markgway

That's crazy. Cine Asia is all subtitles.

If DD couldn't be arsed doing extra translation (don't they have any cantonese speakers at DD?) they should've asked for those.

Crazy I say.

Guest Yi-Long

Downloaded this last week to check for myself the differences between this cut, and the one I have on VHS and love.

Gave it a quick glance-over, and I can confirm it's missing the scene where Mitsuko bows towards Chin Wu Mun when they have to leave. Also quite sad to see the music missing in the fight between 'Chen Zhen' and Chin Siu Ho. There were some other small scenes missing or shorter as well.

Also there were a couple of scenes I have to check on my VHS cause I'm not sure if the music in those scenes is the same as before. Like the scene where Chen Zhen en Chin Siu Ho practice a fist-form together, which in this cut is silent apart from some bird-noises in the background, and I have a strong hunch there used to be some music there...

Might be able to check the VHS later tonight, depending on how late everyone goes to bed.

All in all, not a DVD/BR-release that I will spend any money on. Hopefully Taiwan will someday get a release with the complete cut on it.

Guest Markgway

The only thing 'missing' from the Cine Asia/DD cut is the final shot of Chin Siu-Ho and students jogging.

The other scenes you mention were never in the original theatrical cut, only the extended Taiwanese version. The BD I have includes them (or at least a couple of them) as extras.

Guest Yi-Long
The only thing 'missing' from the Cine Asia/DD cut is the final shot of Chin Siu-Ho and students jogging.

The other scenes you mention were never in the original theatrical cut, only the extended Taiwanese version. The BD I have includes them (or at least a couple of them) as extras.

I'll be hoping and waiting for the superior Taiwanese cut to someday get a release then...

Guest WuxiaFan
Just got the Cine Asia BD and I believe that the frame bluring issue is still present.

I haven't seen the Dragon Dynasty DVD so I'm only guessing that this flaw is the same one carried over.

Eg. the opening fight in the classroom when Jet kicks the chair away and the Japanese falls thru the desk. The first frame(s) of that shot blur like if the transfer was interlaced. It isn't, it's 1080p.

There is no blurring of that shot on the Dragon Dynasty DVD.

The Cine Asia disc sounds exactly the same as the DD disc, as DD put all of the cut scenes as "deleted scenes." I have always considered the Taiwanese version as the true uncut version of the film. The print on the DD disc is crystal clear - flawless. I would imagine the Cine Asia disc is the same as well.

I'm thinking of getting the Cine-Asia BD. What about the original Cantonese and Mandarin soundtracks? Are they genuine mono tracks or downmixes?

Archived