The Toxic Avenger (2023) - Peter Dinklage, Jacob Tremblay, Taylour Paige, Kevin Bacon, Elijah Wood

AlbertV

Dark Horizons:

Troma Films' anti-hero The Toxic Avenger is getting a remake over at Original Media and Dutch reality TV giant Endemol says Deadline New York.

The duo have financed the acquisition of rights to the franchise including four film sequels, an animated TV series and comic books. Writers are expected to be hired shortly.

The original camp classic revolves around Tromaville Health Club mop boy Melvin, a gentle wimp whom gets immersed in a vat of toxic waste. Transformed into the misshapen superhero Toxie who wreaks havoc on New Jersey polluters and whose muscular body is a hit with the chicks.

The remake will be a family friendly PG-13 action comedy that reinvents Toxie as "a green superhero for these environmentally conscious times" and is akin to 1994 Jim Carrey comedy "The Mask".

Akiva Goldsman, Richard Saperstein and Charlie Corwin will produce.

If they do it this way, I sure as heck will NOT see it!

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1

Dark Horizons:

Troma Films' anti-hero The Toxic Avenger is getting a remake over at Original Media and Dutch reality TV giant Endemol says Deadline New York.

The duo have financed the acquisition of rights to the franchise including four film sequels, an animated TV series and comic books. Writers are expected to be hired shortly.

The original camp classic revolves around Tromaville Health Club mop boy Melvin, a gentle wimp whom gets immersed in a vat of toxic waste. Transformed into the misshapen superhero Toxie who wreaks havoc on New Jersey polluters and whose muscular body is a hit with the chicks.

The remake will be a family friendly PG-13 action comedy that reinvents Toxie as "a green superhero for these environmentally conscious times" and is akin to 1994 Jim Carrey comedy "The Mask".

Akiva Goldsman, Richard Saperstein and Charlie Corwin will produce.

If they do it this way, I sure as heck will NOT see it!

Hmm, well intended I suppose with that green message, but looks like a waste of time.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

My first reaction was "You've got to be kidding!" But then I thought -Well, I own the original movie (and a tee shirt and a figure :nerd:), and they can't change that. Yeah, it's fun, but it's sick, tasteless garbage basically (though... yes... I am a fan :xd:), so it's not like they're dragging some classic through the mud (like remaking ON THE WATERFRONT or something). So... maybe it''s actually kind of a cool idea to make it this new way. A good guy monster fighting crime and the destruction of the planet? Okay. I'll check it out. :smile:

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Alright I have finally recovered from laughing at HyperDrive's post. I think I can finish typing this now.

I'm a big fan of the original Toxic Avenger. The second one I don't remember liking, so I didn't see the other sequels. But I really liked the short lived cartoon series. If the new movie is on par with the cartoon, I'll be happy.

One Armed Boxer
I'm a big fan of the original Toxic Avenger. The second one I don't remember liking, so I didn't see the other sequels.

The second & third one are terrible, like watered down versions of everything that made the original so much fun....

...Toxic Avenger 4 though is a fine return to form, laugh out loud funny with all the bad taste firmly back in place!

• Like 1

If it doesn't have a kids brains strewed across the road I'm not watching it:wink:

I met Troma at dragoncon couple years ago, cool he's still making mola, he made some entertaining films over the years.

dionbrother

Troma isn't doing well financially, so such a mercenary deal is no surprise. Lloyd Kaufman is not the canniest businessman.

I'm sure there will be a Sgt. Kabukiman remake to lecture us on the evils of racism.

I think Twitch had the best headline about the remake news

"Because Lloyd's Gotta Eat..."

Ironically, he (Lloyd Kaufman) did announce there was gonna be a Toxic Avenger Part 5 called Toxic Twins.

Stupid. Just revive Captain Planet instead.

You had to go and say that didn't you...:tongue: That's why the live action movie is being planned LOL

Okay, back on topic...MovieWeb revealed that Lloyd Kaufman, who is getting involved with the upcoming remake while shooting TOXIC AVENGER 5, wants only one person for the role of Melvin Junko in the remake...and his name is Jesse Eisenberg. Yes, THAT Jesse Eisenberg from The Social Network.

You had to go and say that didn't you...:tongue: That's why the live action movie is being planned LOL

Okay, back on topic...MovieWeb revealed that Lloyd Kaufman, who is getting involved with the upcoming remake while shooting TOXIC AVENGER 5, wants only one person for the role of Melvin Junko in the remake...and his name is Jesse Eisenberg. Yes, THAT Jesse Eisenberg from The Social Network.

I sincerely apologize to the world for making it endure a Captain Planet revival. :xd:

Jesse Eisenberg? Weird, he doesn't seem to the type to do such a movie. So maybe a remake may not occur after all. But seriously Hollywood, I was only kidding about the second part of that thought.

Oh here we go again with the remakes. Why don't they just remake Howard The Duck why there at it since there so abused with remakes.

Oh here we go again with the remakes. Why don't they just remake Howard The Duck why there at it since there so abused with remakes.

Well, I don't get why Lloyd needed to have a remake of Toxie planned, but he did get one of the Troma flicks remade, MOTHER'S DAY, which was directed by his brother Charlie (Lloyd and Charlie are executive producers of the remake).

Well, I don't get why Lloyd needed to have a remake of Toxie planned, but he did get one of the Troma flicks remade, MOTHER'S DAY, which was directed by his brother Charlie (Lloyd and Charlie are executive producers of the remake).

Oh no it's gonna suck.

Twitch and Dark Horizons have reported that Arnold Schwarzenegger will be in the film...

No, he is NOT playing The Toxic Avenger. Instead, he will be playing a former Black Ops soldier who will serve as Toxie's mentor to use his new powers for good.

Casting of both Toxie and Melvin have still not been announced yet.

Steve Pink (HOT TUB TIME MACHINE) co-wrote the screenplay and will direct the film.

I have a feeling that Lloyd Kaufman sold these remake rights so he will have the money to make his long-awaited sequel, THE TOXIC TWINS.

Guess we will have to wait and see!

Ok...I am gonna "Total Recall" this sumbitch as follows......

On one tit, it does not surprise me that Kaufman would sell out the franchise to make a buck. It is known that the guy wants to make money, and wants recognition, while still being the "cool guy that F'd Hollywood and did it himself". He has always wanted to make Toxie a franchise that would extend to all media, and have an appeal that would grab young and old. Old being curious to see it because they were fans, and the young because....well they are stupid. we were stupid once......well no our shit was way cooler than it is now.

on the second tit, I'd have to say I might punch a kitten if this really happens. IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM do I want one of my most cherished childhood cinema memories tarnished. Arnold is in this? Eisenberg? F that! I may sound like some whiney old jaded punk rocker (which Im not......old at least...yet) Keep the mainstream out of what made Troma cool in the first place! Yeah when it came originally, they WANTED everyone to see it because it would make money. But now that you have put Kaufman,Toxie and Tromaville in almost Jonesvillianish type cult....why must we have outsiders who would care not believe?

On the third and final tit, Maybe we saw it coming. These things are cyclical as in most things in life. what becomes cool becomes uncool, then becomes cool because it is uncool....and so forth. Let's see 'em make a rated movie about GG Allin. And if it IS PG-13, look out kittens.....kabooom.

sorry for swearing

Okay well some good news as of late...

Arnold has decided not to appear in the film...phew!!!! The remake is still in developmental hell...so who knows at this point if it will ever get made.

At least Lloyd is keeping himself busy, with the promoting of RETURN TO NUKE 'EM HIGH VOLUME 1 and later this year, he will be busy with RETURN TO NUKE 'EM HIGH VOLUME 2!!! (For the record, I love RTNEM VOL. 1...great modern reboot to the original 1986 film)

Update:

Steve Pink is out! Sausage Party co-director Conrad Vernon will be taking on directing the remake and it looks like they are going back to basics in terms of script. Vernon was a big fan of the original so perhaps there is hope that it will be similar to the Troma classic...as long as producers and studios don't destroy it!

A new script is being written by Archer writers Mike Arnold and Chris Poole.

https://worldfilmgeek.com/2016/09/12/toxic-remake-back-on-track-with-vernon-to-direct/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

Lloyd Kaufman did an interview with SFX Magazine and revealed that the remake is still a go. Conrad Vernon is still attached to direct the film as his first major live-action debut and is a lifelong Troma fan.

Conrad Vernon, who directed Shrek 2 and Sausage Party is attached. I have spoken to him and he knows all the Troma movies and is a big fan. I think he really understands The Toxic Avenger and I believe he will bring a cartoon sensibility to it. This is his first live-action movie and we hope it gets rolling soon.”

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1

It now looks like a home has been found for the Toxic Avenger remake: Legendary Entertainment has scored the rights.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3537484/legendary-entertainment-announces-theyre-remaking-toxic-avenger/

Troma Team founders Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz will serve as producers on the remake along with Legendary's Alex Garcia and Jay Ashenfelter. At last talk, Conrad Vernon was set to make his live-action directorial debut on the film. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1