The Protector/TYG blu-ray is out, and it's *GASP* good?

OldPangYau

Yeah, I'm shocked too... but it's actually a good blu-ray! I read a few blurbs here and there that the video quality was pretty good, and for $15 I thought I'd give it a shot. And it actually is good, and 1080p for once! And not just the US theatrical cut either, the original Thai cut is in proper HD as well! It's definitely not an SD-to-HD upconvert either, as there's still a nice amount of detail in close ups that you can't see on the DVD. Plus the grainy finale is proof enough :wink: Seriously, anybody who saw this in theaters knows that the final fights are grainy as hell no matter which version you see.

Also, the subtitles, from what I can tell, seem proper in the Thai cut. No more "you killed my father!" or avoiding the fact that the main villain is a "he-she"... the subs seem to be the proper ones.

So overall, for $15, it's actually a damn good blu-ray. Far better than Fox's blu-ray of Ong-Bak. Here's hoping Dragon Dynasty is finally getting blu-ray done right. Let's hope the next time they have a PAL master to work with, however, that they properly convert it to progressive NTSC.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info! Glad DD could finally make a competent blu-ray. Now I have hope for Fist of Legend and Seven Swords. I read that the longer cut does not have any HD audio, but I can live with that. Will definitely pick this up. Only $12.49 at Amazon!

Thanks for the info! Glad DD could finally make a competent blu-ray. Now I have hope for Fist of Legend and Seven Swords. I read that the longer cut does not have any HD audio, but I can live with that. Will definitely pick this up. Only $12.49 at Amazon!

I'm still a tad on the fence about Fist of Legend, but Seven Swords should be fine. My way of thinking is that the newer films that have also had blu-ray releases in other countries should be more apt for a proper Dragon Dynasty blu-ray release. Most of their newer films have been released on blu-ray in Hong Kong, including SPL, FlashPoint, the Infernal Affairs Trilogy, PTU, and some others. It's the older films I'm worried about, especially if they have a PAL master.

I'm still shocked that The Protector wasn't their "strike 3" for blu-ray... so now that I have this with the damn "3" on the blu-ray spine staring at me, I'll eventually have to buy the first two blu-rays... but I'll do it when they're at their absolute cheapest used on Amazon :wink:

I'm still a tad on the fence about Fist of Legend, but Seven Swords should be fine. My way of thinking is that the newer films that have also had blu-ray releases in other countries should be more apt for a proper Dragon Dynasty blu-ray release. Most of their newer films have been released on blu-ray in Hong Kong, including SPL, FlashPoint, the Infernal Affairs Trilogy, PTU, and some others. It's the older films I'm worried about, especially if they have a PAL master.

Makes sense. A cheaper alternative to the HK blu-rays is always welcome, so here's hoping they can pull it off.

I'm still shocked that The Protector wasn't their "strike 3" for blu-ray... so now that I have this with the damn "3" on the blu-ray spine staring at me, I'll eventually have to buy the first two blu-rays... but I'll do it when they're at their absolute cheapest used on Amazon :wink:

I am so glad I am not a completist! Don't care about the spine numbers and will never buy their first two blu-rays.

That's great news! I had FoL on pre-order dependent on how good TYG was. Now I can dump my old DVD and get "Where's My Elephant!" on Blu-ray.

Thanks for the good news!

Yeah, I'm shocked too... but it's actually a good blu-ray! I read a few blurbs here and there that the video quality was pretty good, and for $15 I thought I'd give it a shot. And it actually is good, and 1080p for once! And not just the US theatrical cut either, the original Thai cut is in proper HD as well! It's definitely not an SD-to-HD upconvert either, as there's still a nice amount of detail in close ups that you can't see on the DVD. Plus the grainy finale is proof enough :wink: Seriously, anybody who saw this in theaters knows that the final fights are grainy as hell no matter which version you see.

Also, the subtitles, from what I can tell, seem proper in the Thai cut. No more "you killed my father!" or avoiding the fact that the main villain is a "he-she"... the subs seem to be the proper ones.

So overall, for $15, it's actually a damn good blu-ray. Far better than Fox's blu-ray of Ong-Bak. Here's hoping Dragon Dynasty is finally getting blu-ray done right. Let's hope the next time they have a PAL master to work with, however, that they properly convert it to progressive NTSC.

I'm very surprised the original cut is HD as well as their bullshit re-edit. It's a shame they botched two Blu-rays that I'd have been sure to buy and did what looks like an acceptable job with one I didn't plan on getting. Let's have a hearty round of applause for a moderate display of basic competence.

Don't let the spine numbers be the boss of you. Take a Sharpie to it and black it out, if you're tempted to spend cent one on their defective Blu-rays. Why reward misbehaviour?

Don't let the spine numbers be the boss of you. Take a Sharpie to it and black it out, if you're tempted to spend cent one on their defective Blu-rays. Why reward misbehaviour?

Eh, I'd only get it used... and on Amazon where it'll probably drop below $5. But yeah, I do have "completist sickness" :tongue:

Buying a BD because of a spine number? Wow, that's, er, dedication.

No, it is a sickness, don't sugar coat it :tongue: Although it certainly wasn't a bad thing when Media Blasters did it with their SB titles.

Im going to hunt this one down, good work Oldpang.

Thanks, Best Buy seemed to have quite a few, so that's a decent place to start.

And it actually is good, and 1080p for once! And not just the US theatrical cut either, the original Thai cut is in proper HD as well!

Dang it!! I wished you hadn't said that. I was personally hoping that they were going to botch this one up as well because I really didn’t want to have to double dip (especially into Dragon Dynasty).

I think I’ll just try to forget that I ever read this thread and be ignorantly happy with my regular-old DVD…. If that doesn’t work, will someone come over and smash a bottle on my head so I may lose my short term memory?

Honestly, thanks for the update OldPang, I look forward to seeing the improvements for myself.

Dang it!! I wished you hadn't said that. I was personally hoping that they were going to botch this one up as well because I really didn’t want to have to double dip (especially into Dragon Dynasty).

I think I’ll just try to forget that I ever read this thread and be ignorantly happy with my regular-old DVD…. If that doesn’t work, will someone come over and smash a bottle on my head so I may lose my short term memory?

Honestly, thanks for the update OldPang, I look forward to seeing the improvements for myself.

If it makes you feel better I forgot I had it in my Netflix queue. It's already to late to cancel it form Amazon so my netflix copy should be there tomorrow along with my Amazon copy. lol

If it makes you feel better I forgot I had it in my Netflix queue. It's already to late to cancel it form Amazon so my netflix copy should be there tomorrow along with my Amazon copy. lol

:tongue: it helps a little.

Guest Yi-Long
Buying a BD because of a spine number? Wow, that's, er, dedication.

'Dedication' isn't the word I would use in this situation...

Anyway, nice to hear that for once Dragon Dynasty didn't completely fuck up.

masterofoneinchpunch
No, it is a sickness, don't sugar coat it :tongue: Although it certainly wasn't a bad thing when Media Blasters did it with their SB titles.

Thanks, Best Buy seemed to have quite a few, so that's a decent place to start.

I have the same sickness with Criterion. It gets expensive.

Good to hear it is at Best Buy since I did not see it at Target and FYE.

According to The Running Man's review, it was actually the US version that contained made-up subtitles.

According to The Running Man's review, it was actually the US version that contained made-up subtitles.

That's not that odd then, since its done for story telling purposes, Godzilla 1985 did the same thing. Bit silly to complain about that. I actually like some of the changes in the US version so it's mice both version are in HD.

That's not that odd then, since its done for story telling purposes, Godzilla 1985 did the same thing. Bit silly to complain about that. I actually like some of the changes in the US version so it's mice both version are in HD.

I think it's rather exploiting and degrading - not only that, but on the DVD, the only available Spanish subtitles (listed as also being on the unaltered version, but they're not) are based on it, so people relying on a Spanish translation are stuck with that.

I think it's rather exploiting and degrading - not only that, but on the DVD, the only available Spanish subtitles (listed as also being on the unaltered version, but they're not) are based on it, so people relying on a Spanish translation are stuck with that.

They're changed major plot points, I don't see why people should waste money redubbing the Thai dialogue when a change in the subs work just as well. Hell, if I was releasing the movie and changed part of the story I would do the same thing, it just make financial sense, besides this is Where's My Elephant were talking about.

The Spanish audience got dubtitles, welcome to tons of our releases.

Archived