Bruce Lee lost footage

MG Lerox

Been researching for some times that Bruce screened few things that are not aired yet:

Episodes of Longstreet, Batman, Green Hornet, Here Comes the Bridge and Ironside were released but whats with Blondie`s episode Pick A Bully Your Own Size none seems to have that.

Original footage of Big Boss, i heard that some guy have then some guy saw it but i don`t believe in anything of that.

Original trailer for Fist of Fury where at the beginning Robert Backer fight some Chinese in restaurant and than Bruce come to fight him, and at the end on the screen say "Soon Fist of Fury".

Allegedly Bruce and Bolo appeared on commercial for Winson Ciggarets but for some reasons that stuff i also lost.

Footage of G.O.D does exist some more footage except the flours?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fist Of Boss

Those stuff likely never see the light.Collectors who have them are immune to money offerings and maybe they would not even trade them for other extremely rare footage.

I think nothing less than gun in temple makes them share their treasures...:nerd:

Is it right or wrong I do not want to comment but I certainly do not like it:sad:

tangshandaxiong

The Trailer of Fist of Fury you mention was in possession of Fred Weintraub which was sent by Bruce Lee and Raymond Chow along with the reels of TBB back in `72. Here a picture of the "shoulder clashing"-scene which is present in the trailer.

For Game of Death footage I`ve read somewhere that Kim Tai Jung saw 90 min of G.O.D. footage containing rehearsals with Dan Inosanto and Bruce`s brother Robert Lee. It was all filmed by Bruce Lee himself on Homecam. Also 4 hours of unedited footage probably exist.

A short description of the scene in the episode Bruce Lee appears in Blondie:

http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/friday/155/id44.htm

And some info about the coloured print of "Ren Hai Gu Hong/The Orphan" found in 90`s:

http://archive.sensesofcinema.com/contents/festivals/01/14/hongkonged.html (lower half)

and shown in 2000:

http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/200011/09/1109182.htm

Agree with Fist of Boss that most of it`ll probably never see the light..

Fred Weintraub i`m tired of stories about him! He has everything then why he don`t release it or put some clips somewhere then? Why he don`t sell or trade? When guys Don and Naushad came and sad that they have something rare many member called them liers even if Naushad proved that he has BB2. Why Fred then don`t accept to sell/trade or put something to show prof.

Fang Shih-yu

"Blondie", the comic strip, is distributed to newspapers by King Features Syndicate; if Sony Pictures doesn't have a chokehold on Bruce's "Blondie" (2nd TV show) appearance, then KFS does! :cry:

In a phone conversation with Dan Lee (well I think it was him) Bruce Lee told him that The Big Boss was "currently with Rank in England" (sic) presumably to see if they fancied releasing it in the UK? If that was the case...was it the original dub? Is it still in the archive somewhere and more to the point who has it now as Rank Distributors was bought by Carlton and then sold again.

The Lee films ended up with Cathay UK until 1977 and then EMI took over the reins. Around that time Fist of Fury was re-released in a longer version (dog-or rabbit? eating scene, love scene with Nora and different credits)...now if Cathay didn't release that version...where did it originate? From Golden Harvest or Rank? Whatever the case , it proves that there were several versions floating about of at least Boss and Fist.

thedirtytiger

Since the boss of the Hong Kong Film Archive went to Rank ten years ago and took all HK prints back to the archive in H.K., Rank no longer holds any of those prints.

Since the boss of the Hong Kong Film Archive went to Rank ten years ago and took all HK prints back to the archive in H.K., Rank no longer holds any of those prints.

So he took all the old english dubbed Golden Harvest prints that played cinemas in the UK as well as anything (in Mandarin/Cantonese) that had been sent to the UK for storage/processing?

johnoverall
"Blondie", the comic strip, is distributed to newspapers by King Features Syndicate; if Sony Pictures doesn't have a chokehold on Bruce's "Blondie" (2nd TV show) appearance, then KFS does! :cry:

KFS has the rights to the characters but not the show, they don't have it nor does Sony. The show itself is PD, rights expired in 1978. I checked with Department of Congress Copyright Department.

Fang Shih-yu
KFS has the rights to the characters but not the show, they don't have it nor does Sony. The show itself is PD, rights expired in 1978. I checked with Department of Congress Copyright Department.

You mean this Screen Gems (TV off-shoot of Columbia Pictures) show got dropped by Sony (who acquired Columbia/Screen Gems)? I thought they had ALL the "Blondie" movies and the two TV shows.

johnoverall

I mean, Columbia Pictures (Screen Gems), now under the Sony umbrella, has no corporate relationship to CBS Television who produced the 1968 Blondie TV show. This is why Sony doesn't have it, I confirmed this with Sony Picture Television's Media Productions and their Rights & Clearances Dept.

Fang Shih-yu
I mean, Columbia Pictures (Screen Gems), now under the Sony umbrella, has no corporate relationship to CBS Television who produced the 1968 Blondie TV show. This is why Sony doesn't have it, I confirmed this with Sony Picture Television's Media Productions and their Rights & Clearances Dept.

Thanks for the clarification! I thought Columbia held onto the "Blondie" rights beyond the movies, but this is not the case! :squigglemouth:

Does CBS Television have it?

No, nor Universal.

The late '60s "Blondie" isn't in the vaults of Viacom, holder of CBS Television shows? :ooh:

johnoverall
Thanks for the clarification! I thought Columbia held onto the "Blondie" rights beyond the movies, but this is not the case! :squigglemouth:

I have little knowledge of the films or the original 1950s TV series, sorry. The '68 show was developed by Kayro Productions' Joe Connelly, who is sadly no longer with us. I made contact with his sons, one of whom worked on the show and met Bruce Lee at the casting call. They were kind enough to share reminiscences.

The late '60s "Blondie" isn't in the vaults of Viacom, holder of CBS Television shows? :ooh:

CBS manage their own archive as far as I am aware, certainly I only dealt directly with them. They do not have the show and were not interested in materials I offered them, as the rights had lapsed.

Fang Shih-yu
I have little knowledge of the films or the original 1950s TV series, sorry. The '68 show was developed by Kayro Productions' Joe Connelly, who is sadly no longer with us. I made contact with his sons, one of whom worked on the show and met Bruce Lee at the casting call. They were kind enough to share reminiscences.

Well, I do know Columbia produced the long-running "B-movie" series and that NBC aired the first "Blondie" show. I DIDN'T know one of the guys who brought forth "Leave It to Beaver" and "The Munsters" tried to bring "Blondie" to life, too!:bigsmile: (It explains why you referenced Universal, too!:wink:) In general, what did Connelly's sons have to say about Bruce? I'm guessing pictures weren't taken during their meeting. WERE there publicity photos done relating to the episode he appeared in?... All said, this is interesting stuff!

Fang Shih-yu

I thought the CBS stuff was owned by Viacom who own Paramount?KFS
Back to this.... I agree with kungfusamurai. Yes, this is (with the few exceptions of select productions) the stuff of conventional wisdom.

Drunken Cat

The Blondie (1968) tv series was produced for King Features Syndicate by Kayro Productions, MCA-TV/Universal Television. So you might want to try Universal Television.

johnoverall
The Blondie (1968) tv series was produced for King Features Syndicate by Kayro Productions, MCA-TV/Universal Television. So you might want to try Universal Television.

They do not have it, confirmed with Universal Rights & Clearances.

johnoverall
Back to this.... I agree with kungfusamurai. Yes, this is (with the few exceptions of select productions) the stuff of conventional wisdom.

Is this the same 'conventional wisdom' that made you think Sony had it? :tongue:

johnoverall
... I DIDN'T know one of the guys who brought forth "Leave It to Beaver" and "The Munsters" tried to bring "Blondie" to life, too!:bigsmile: (It explains why you referenced Universal, too!:wink:) In general, what did Connelly's sons have to say about Bruce? I'm guessing pictures weren't taken during their meeting. WERE there publicity photos done relating to the episode he appeared in?... All said, this is interesting stuff!

Blondie was shot on the Leave it to Beaver set.

Joe Connelly's sons were guarded and curious as to why anyone would be interested in the show after all these years, especially when it did so badly in the ratings and was cancelled so abruptly. Jay Connelly, who worked on the show as a production assistant, was at Bruce Lee's casting session. No details on photo's from the session and memories he shared had more to do with their father and the show itself rather than any one episode or person. He said little more than 'Bruce Lee was a nice guy'.

Fang Shih-yu
Is this the same 'conventional wisdom' that made you think Sony had it? :tongue:

In the times of big consolidations, one never knows WHO owns WHAT exactly in terms our favorite pieces of "pop culture"! Viacom IS a big company, for sure! Also,"conventional wisdom" can be today's equivalent to "old wives' tales", I have no problem admitting!:tongue: As for Connelly's sons, the responses you've documented are not surprising, if one thinks in the right perspective.... Are you hunting down some of the rare Bruce footage yourself, or is this research for something you're writing?

johnoverall
In the times of big consolidations, one never knows WHO owns WHAT exactly in terms our favorite pieces of "pop culture"! Viacom IS a big company, for sure! Also,"conventional wisdom" can be today's equivalent to "old wives' tales", I have no problem admitting!:tongue: As for Connelly's sons, the responses you've documented are not surprising, if one thinks in the right perspective.... Are you hunting down some of the rare Bruce footage yourself, or is this research for something you're writing?

In my initial dealings with CBS, before I had a direct dial number for their Rights & Clearances, I found myself in a queue on Viacom's switchboard so I can appreciate the scale and many arms of a corporation.

The show is in the public domain, not owned by anyone, I paid Department of Congress $150 to perform a copyright search on the show and I have a document confirming this, I can post this if required.

I have a number of Blondie episodes, including an unaired episiode. I also have original press materials and there is potential to put a book together but I would like to locate the episodes I don't have. Besides, who would buy such a book? I am also in irregular touch with Patricia Harty and Will Hutchins, who played Blondie and Dagwood. Blondie's mailman, Bryan O'Byrne recently passed away. He took lots of candid photo's on the set, but wasn't working on the day Bruce Lee was. He knew Bruce Lee socially and also coached Brandon Lee early on in his acting career.

Archived