Actors Who Are Not Themselves

kungfusamurai

kungfusamurai

Let's name all the kung fu film actors and the roles where they play a different gender, race, or nationality from themselves.

Chan Wai Man - Japanese (a number of movies and shows, but 5 Element Ninja is the most noteworthy)

Angela Mao - Played a boy (pretending?) in Dance of Death

Lee Hoi San - Played a black dude in Enter The Fat Dragon

Yasuaki Kurata - I think he's played a chinese person in some films, or at least they never don't specify his nationality as Japanese.

Sammo Hung - Japanese in When Tae Kwan Do Strikes

KFS

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
danthemandmv

.Kam Kong played Tibetan(Fung Sheng Wu Chi)in ''MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE''

.Leung KarYan,Wang LungWei&Gordon Lau GaFei played Mongols in ''THE FOUR ASSASSINS/MARCO POLO''

.Lung Fei played Japanese in ''MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE'',&played Korean in ''SCREAMING TIGER''

.Hiroyuki Sanada played Korean in ''RENEGADE NINJAS'',&played Chinese in ''THE PROMISE''

.Sonny Chiba played Chinese in ''THE STORM RIDERS''

.Etsuko Shiomi played Chinese in the ''SISTER STREETFIGHTER'' films&in ''GOLGO 13:KOWLOON ASSIGNMENT''

.Sonny Chiba,Etsuko Shiomi,Tadashi Yamashita&Bolo Yeung played Thai in''SOUL OF CHIBA/SOUL OF BRUCE LEE''

.Ku Feng,David Chiang,Ti Lung,Wang Chung&Lo Wei played Khitan in ''THE HEROIC ONES''

Rounding out the cast for Master of the Flying Guillotine are...

Ho Wai-Hung - Mongolian

Wong Wing-Sang - Indian

Sham Chin-bo - Thai

danthemandmv
Isn't Lung Fei of Japanese background?

You know,I've read that several times on the Net(or at least that he's believed to have Japanese ancestry);he does look as though he might be but I included him as I wasn't 100% certain.

Pretty much all but 2 of the Japanese characters in Fist of Fury were played by Chinese actors :tongue:

Morgoth Bauglir

Jim Kelly of course:angel:

Oh no wait, it was actually this guy-

Lee Hoi San - Played a black dude in Enter The Fat Dragon

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
lmao who played the painted faced black guy in enter the fat dragon?

Lee Hoi San- master of the butterfly swords in 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN.

Yuen Biao and Takeshi Kaneshiro also (sadly) wore blackface makeup in DON'T GIVE A DAMN. An otherwise funny, under appreciated film that features some great action.

yeah my bad i didn't see somebody else had already posted that one... bad thing was i'd actually read the thread smh... morgoth i thought we were friends :(

Secret Executioner

There were two Japanese actors playing Chinese characters in Chang Cheh's The Water Margin.

IIRC, the bad guys in The 14 Amazons are from Mongolia, but they are played by Chinese people. Same in Marco Polo.

And I suppose Robert Baker was not a Russian, though he portrayed one in Fist Of Fury...

Kara Hui pretended to be male for part of Legendary Weapons of China, that's one that comes to mind.

Secret Executioner
Kara Hui pretended to be male for part of Legendary Weapons of China, that's one that comes to mind.

Somehow, that seems to have even less credibility than Lily Ho as a teenage boy in The 14 Amazons... :tongue:

The woman in my signature - Invincible Asia, Peking Opera Blues, etc,.

Lin Hsiao Lan played a boy a few times.

Josephine Siao - a male character in Hu Du Men and a few others.

Anita Miu - As Kawashima Yoshiko ( a Manchu princess) in the movie KAWASHIMA YOSHIKO & a male (emperor) in WU YEN.

Also in "Farewell My Concubine" there are a few male/female roles.

Kara Hui plays also a male in one of the Emperor Chien Lung Shaws' movies.

Connie Chan has played a lot of male roles in her Cantonese old movies, and she plays a brother and a sister in Black killer.

One of the Japanese playing Chinese in Water Margin is Tsetsuro Samba, if I'm not mistaken.

Ku Feng plays a Thai boxer in the Shaws' Duel of fists, as well as Ti Lung and Wong Chung, if I'm not mistaken.

Pai Ying and Chia Ling (or Xu Feng, I don't remember) play Mongols in Assassin, still if I'm not mistaken.

Steve Chan Ho and Chen Hung Lieh play Japanese in The crush, while Ingrid Hu plays a Korean girl.

Chen Hung Lieh plays a Japanese kille in Champion of the boxers.

Tien Feng and Xu Feng plays Mongols (if I'm not mistaken) in The fate of Lee Khan.

And so on...

Archived