the oldest ma movie released?

fiol

hi guys,

just 2 quick questions: which is the oldest ma movie released on dvd? and where is it from?

thx :angel:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's some B&W Cantonese Swordplays from the early 60s available on DVD, otherwise maybe a few Wong Fei Hung films on VCD, or at a push you might find a couple of earlier films somewhere. Personally, I only really bothered with post-1965 Martial Arts films starting with these:

Twin Swords

The All-powerful Flute (Part 2)

The All-powerful Flute (Part 1)

The Six-Fingered Lord Of The Lute (Part 3)

The Six-Fingered Lord Of The Lute (Part 2)

Temple Of The Red Lotus

The Six-Fingered Lord Of The Lute (Part 1)

Touch Of Zen

Sword & The Lute

Magnificent Trio

Knight Of Knights

Come Drink With Me

Jade Bow

Dragon Inn

Kurosawa's Sanshiro Sugata (his first film) is a GREAT Judo movie from the early 40s. I think Criterion has a new print included in their giant Kurosawa box set, but I don't think they've released it separately yet.

Red Heroine (silent b/w wuxia from 1929).

I don't know if it has ever been released on DVD, but it has been shown at fastivals and cinemas all over the world in rescent years (last year i saw it in Denmark).

http://www.kungfucinema.com/the-return-of-red-heroine-1929-2910

pity not in italy :xd:

unfortunately it`s still unreleased on dvd :cry:

Kurosawa's Sanshiro Sugata (his first film) is a GREAT Judo movie from the early 40s. I think Criterion has a new print included in their giant Kurosawa box set, but I don't think they've released it separately yet.

thx but that boxset is way too expensive now :cry:

thx but that boxset is way too expensive now :cry:

Yes, for me too. I've heard rumors that Sanshiro Sugata and a few others will be released as single movies later this year by Criterion.

kungfusamurai

Would this sort of count. I know it's American, and it's probably just this fight scene (I haven't seen the film, so I don't know if there are others). But Cagney and this guy whip out some nice judo. "Ah so des-ka!" :)

WlejMy9zLdI

KFS

Fang Shih-yu

A silent one played in Pittsburgh a few years back for a short time; would that be "Red Heroine"?... Anyway, I know just from those wonderful clips in "The Art of Action" how much fun it would be to see a "REALLY old school" film! Will old titles (what few there are, that is) find release by Criterion or will these be covered by imports? :nerd: Time will tell. As long as they're preserved for future generations is what counts most. :smile:

masterofoneinchpunch
Would this sort of count. I know it's American, and it's probably just this fight scene (I haven't seen the film, so I don't know if there are others). But Cagney and this guy whip out some nice judo. "Ah so des-ka!" :)

KFS

I just bought the Image release of it to find out. The funny thing is that I was just reading a little about it in Chuck Norris's The Secret Power Within yesterday and was planning on getting the movie anyways.

"The film usually cited as the first Hollywood production in which an American star used Oriental fighting techniques is Blood on the Sun,from1945,in which James Cagney uses judo, an art he had actually studied." -- from the book.

kungfusamurai
I just bought the Image release of it to find out. The funny thing is that I was just reading a little about it in Chuck Norris's The Secret Power Within yesterday and was planning on getting the movie anyways.

"The film usually cited as the first Hollywood production in which an American star used Oriental fighting techniques is Blood on the Sun,from1945,in which James Cagney uses judo, an art he had actually studied." -- from the book.

I'm not sure how long Cagney had been studying it before doing the film. The wikipedia entry makes it sound like he learned it for the movie role, but then kept doing it after until a back injury forced him to stop.

KFS

loempiavreter

WlejMy9zLdI

KFS

Wow I remember this movie being mentioned in an article about Bruce Lee in my old TV guide, except they said Cagney practised Jiu JItsu. Looks a bit like Judo though.

A silent one played in Pittsburgh a few years back for a short time; would that be "Red Heroine"?... Anyway, I know just from those wonderful clips in "The Art of Action" how much fun it would be to see a "REALLY old school" film! Will old titles (what few there are, that is) find release by Criterion or will these be covered by imports? :nerd: Time will tell. As long as they're preserved for future generations is what counts most. :smile:

in regards of this.. i watched the Hong Kong Cinema documentary ( the one split in 3 parts: kung fu, swords play, beauties of sb).

During the first the parts they showed a lot of clip from b/w movies (some were the wong fei hung's), i would like to know if anyone can tell me if those have ever been rlsed on vcd or dvd? I just found only one (Huang Fei-hong's Battle with the Gorilla,1960) that i will pick up as soon as i get some money xD

@kungfusamurai: nice clip!

Archived