Breathless (2008)

nicklord1

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
just seen breatheless i thought it was great and thought provoking

any reactions

Guessing you mean Ddongpari and not the Jean-Luc Godard film?

Haven't seen but do you know if this is a remake of the 1960 film?

It is the 3rd movie by Yang Ik-june. It tells the story of a violent loan shark with no redeemable qualities. He is hated and feared by all those around him. His meets a school girl Yeon Hee and his life changes. It is much better than the brief blurb I wrote. It is about abuse and the way it shapes some people leading to a vicious cycle. I highly recommend watching it.

Yang self funded this movie as starred in it himself, as well as directing and editing.

Not a remake of the 1960's film.

One Armed Boxer

I love this movie and it definitely leaves a lasting impression. I never bothered to post my thoughts here before as it's not really the type of movie that a lot of the guys on here would check out, but I'm sure if anyone did watch this they wouldn't regret it.

Interestingly the Korean Culture Office here in Sydney has a free movie screening every Thursday, and last year this is one of the movies that was submitted to be part of the lineup. It was one of the only ones that got rejected, as the office is run and funded by the Korean government, and it was classed as not showing Korea off in a postive light. This speaks volumes for the level of reality that's on display, and Ik-june himself said it's a semi-autobiographical piece. No doubt it's a tough watch, but an undeniably rewarding one.

On a slightly connected note, I ended up going for drinks with the actress from 'Breathless', Kim Kko-bbi, during this years Korean Film Festinal in Australia. I posted a blog on how I managed to find myself in such a situation here -

http://koreanfilmfestivalinaustralia.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/cinema-forums-four-leaf-clovers.html

& also a brief biography of her here -

http://koreanfilmfestivalinaustralia.blogspot.hk/2013/08/kim-kko-bbi-breathless-flower.html

I am annoyed and insulted that the Korean cultural office would block Breathless from being shown. Not showing Korea in a good light? What do they think all those gangster movies are doing for Korea's image? Movies made on a budget but a relative unknown doesn't make it promotion worthy? Ignorant @$$holes with their head up their asses.

Lucky, you got to hang with all them. Is Kim Kko Bi even old enough to drink?

One Armed Boxer
I am annoyed and insulted that the Korean cultural office would block Breathless from being shown. Not showing Korea in a good light? What do they think all those gangster movies are doing for Korea's image? Movies made on a budget but a relative unknown doesn't make it promotion worthy? Ignorant @$$holes with their head up their asses.

Yes and no, I agree with you to a degree. There are several variables that come into play that go hand in hand with working within the bureaucracy of a government orgainzation that's funded to promote Korea as a country as well as it's culture. 'Breathless' is very realistic in its depiction of domestic violence and abuse, not to mention almost every other word spoken is a swear word.

The movies are shown at 6:30pm every Thursday evening and anyone can attend, so it can easily be argued that yes it wouldn't be suitable to show to potential audience members who could be in attendance. It does make me laugh that they showed 'A Frozen Flower' though.:tongue:

The Korean Culture Office does an outstanding job in Australia, they also run the Korean Film Festival in Australia which I'm actively involved in, and have shown other non-mainstream movies such as 'Stateless Things' & 'Juvenile Offender' as part of the Thursday screenings which were very successful. Ignorant @$$holes is going a little far.

She's 28.

Archived