100 reels of kung fu

daTOAD

Havent seen any post about the guy from seattle who found over a 100 old school kung fu films at a closed down movie house in Canada. He was supposed to get them in tha Alamo Draft House film fest or something. Anyone have more info on this , like what films were found ,etc. This is old news really[ sometime late last year] ,but havent seen anything about it. thanks

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Havent seen any post about the guy from seattle who found over a 100 old school kung fu films at a closed down movie house in Canada. He was supposed to get them in tha Alamo Draft House film fest or something. Anyone have more info on this , like what films were found ,etc. This is old news really[ sometime late last year] ,but havent seen anything about it. thanks

I posted to crickets about this in the Shaw Forums a long time ago. The movies aren't on DVD, so interest was minimal.

"I posted to crickets about this in the Shaw Forums a long time ago. The movies aren't on DVD, so interest was minimal."

Real shame , especially with all the talks of rares lately. Just found out the guys from Portland and holds Grindhouse festivals in his city. he found around 200 films ,but the only ones mentioned in the article were The Invincible Pole Fighters and 5 Element Ninjas. The article is a good read and one that will make every true kung fu fan wish they were that guy. His name is Dan Halsted. We gotta get in touch with this guy!

Dan told me a while back he had no plans on releasing the names of the titles just yet --

but as you can see from this post, he is featuring some in his fest in the upcoming weeks.

Dan told me a while back he had no plans on releasing the names of the titles just yet --

but as you can see from this post, he is featuring some in his fest in the upcoming weeks.

Three of the films for that screening actually come from a different collection. I'm planning a screening soon, too. I'll make sure to keep people informed!

The people at the Alamo have some big plans for their films. I hope that they come to fruition. I'm trying in a small way to help things along & hopefully we'll see some results that will leave fu-fans very happy!

"Dan told me a while back he had no plans on releasing the names of the titles just yet --

but as you can see from this post, he is featuring some in his fest in the upcoming weeks. "

might have to move to Portland for the summer.:smile: some good stuff. So does the Alamo restore these old reels? Teako do you know if all the movies he found were Shaw Bros. or even if they were all fu flicks?

I'm planning a screening soon, too. I'll make sure to keep people informed!

Cool - where at? Canada?

Teako do you know if all the movies he found were Shaw Bros. or even if they were all fu flicks?

Unfortunately, no idea.

Hi,

Yep, I'll be doing a screening in MTL. I've been trying to get in touch with the New York Asian Film Festival to see if they would want to screen my prints, but I've had no luck. About the Alamo prints, I don't think they can release the film names because of some copywrite concerns. The films are all Kung fu. With some luck, we'll be seing them soon! I don't know if they restore their reels. That would be VERY hard. I'm sure they look after their prints well, though. I'm impressed by their organization. If there's interest, I could do some interviews with the people from the Alamo & The American genre film archive. They could go into more detail about their collection & their plans. My hope is that we'll be seeing these films in theaters soon.

h

You got an idea for dates? Summer?

There might be a small one in mid-april. I did a small one last month. Got 70 people. If I don't do it in mid april, it will be by may for sure. I have two prints which I own & have my sights on a couple more. The first screening was small & more for friends. It was a chance to get my feet wet. 35mm is not DVD. There's a lot for me to learn. The projectionist gave me a bit of a crash course & I've been getting help from locals. If you know anyone with NYAFF, tell them to give me a buzz. I would be happy to do a screening in NYC & I'm trying to set something up for Toronto, too.

How far would you travel[uS] for screenings HAZ? Whatcha got?

People keep their 35mm collections close to the vest. I'm a two features & counting. I wouldn't mind lending them out for NYC or Toronto because they are close to me. If things go well with the Alamo, there might be something in store for people in a whole bunch of cities!

• Administrator

Thought I'd re-post this here as well...

Hey all,

Some of you may have heard about kung fu fanatic/film programmer Dan Halsted's incredible "find": http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/saving-shaolin/Content?oid=1639566

Here's another great article about him: http://www.opb.org/artsandlife/article/dan-halsted-kung-fu-master-hollywood-theatre/

Dan hired me to create a new piece of art for Kung Fu Theater T-shirts, and I think you guys are going to dig them.

They will be on sale this Tuesday at the 35mm screening of IRON FINGERS OF DEATH! :nerd: Wish we could all- the whole KFCF family- be there for that!

KUNGFUTHEATERshirtphoto.jpg

You like it? You want one? Email Dan Halsted at grindhousedan@gmail.com and you can buy one!

I know his photo isn't that clear, so here's who appears on the shirt:

1. Angela Mao

2. Sammo Hung

3. Gordon Liu

4. Trident Demon (from MASKED AVENGERS)

5. Blind Monk and his weapon (from MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE)

6. Lau Kar-Leung

7. Hwang Jang-Lee

8. Lo Lieh (as Pai Mei)

tantao3-son of tantao2

...talking about 35mm kung fu prints: whatever happened to all the 35mm prints these Crash people had??? As I remember Dan Helstad's lis,t he mainly has Shaw prints and a few "independent"...The Crash people had some nice Taiwanese movies like The Scholar Swordsman, Ace Of Swordsman, etc....

odioustrident

The seller of the Crash reels has not been responding to emails from a few different people, myself included. Last I heard the Taiwan reels had to be sold as a lot without compromise. There were titles for sale individually - including "Vicious Black Dragon Killer." Never found out the AKA for that one.

Isn't this the guy who hosted here in Chicago earlier this summer? Then it was Fist of The White Lotus and Master of The Flying Guillotine.

It was a great show and I loved the fact he took time out to discuss the findings with us. Can you believe Shaws owned that theater house, closed and abandoned it, and left EVERY film in the building storage room?:ooh::ooh:

• Administrator
Isn't this the guy who hosted here in Chicago earlier this summer? Then it was Fist of The White Lotus and Master of The Flying Guillotine.

It was a great show and I loved the fact he took time out to discuss the findings with us. Cab you believe Shaws owned that theater house, closed and abandoned it, and left EVERY film in the building storage room?:ooh::ooh:

Yup, that's the guy. I've never had the pleasure to meet him in person, but we've talked on the phone. He's a really nice guy with a ton of interesting info and love for the genre and not an ounce of pretentious BS. Cool that he did that. And what a double bill!!! You lucky dog. :nerd:

And no- it's hard to believe that SB would do that! :smile: But I'm glad they did. :wink:

Archived