The Big Boss - Original English Dub....

fabhui

1 hour ago, Omni Dragon said:

Oh, OK, sometimes I find it difficult to tell with your videos, if they are something genuinely rare or just a joke, lol.

Especially as I have heard rumours about a third dub for The Big Boss, that is said to be featured in a documentary. If it does exist I can't help but wonder if the dialogue replacement is just specifically for the documentary.

What I can say about working on the Arrow Bruce set is that that was not among the tracks we received from FS, so I think it's safe to say it was probably just an underlay done specifically for The Deadliest Art: Best of the Martial Arts and nothing more.

It was probably easier to just use a DME of the Cantonese track, mute Hsiao Chiun's dialogue there and add a scratch conveying the subbed lines, etc., for the purposes of editing that whole presentation of the factory fight.

The part of the line in that I can make out btw is "We're gonna have to kill you. You can't get out of here".
The "kill" part reminds me of the '83 sub:

vlcsnap-2023-08-19-18h01m11s35.png.e10a335ddaa0f339ff80c3f124ab4568.png

'71 sub:

vlcsnap-2023-08-19-18h09m16s17.thumb.png.60af476fa5425079246beb3111c48cd1.png

Edited by Chorake
  • Like 6

54 minutes ago, Chorake said:

What I can say about working on the Arrow Bruce set is that that was not among the tracks we received from FS, so I think it's safe to say it was probably just an underlay done specifically for The Deadliest Art: Best of the Martial Arts and nothing more.

It was probably easier to just use a DME of the Cantonese track, mute Hsiao Chiun's dialogue there and add a scratch conveying the subbed lines, etc., for the purposes of editing that whole presentation of the factory fight.

The part of the line in that I can make out btw is "We're gonna have to kill you. You can't get out of here".

'71 sub:

There simply must be a version out there with the tried and true, "you must be tired of living".

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Chorake said:

'71 sub:

The Chinese text doesn't even seem to be the same in the two versions. How is it possible and how to know which one was the real one ? Sorry if my question is stupid, I confess that I didn't read the previous page before réactif to this post.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

The Chinese text doesn't even seem to be the same in the two versions. How is it possible and how to know which one was the real one ? Sorry if my question is stupid, I confess that I didn't read the previous page before réactif to this post.

I don't intend to speak for anybody, but I will speculate.

The 1971 version posted is crisp and HD, so it's probably from the raw scan on the Arrow version.  If the other one were coupled with the Caontnese dub, then it'd make sense to be the 1983 version, since that's when the Canto version first appeared.  And it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have alternate Chinese text if it were pared with the old Mandarin audio, right?  That's my take on it, at least.

I wonder how extensively (and why) dialogue was altered for the re-release. 

• Like 3

Killer Meteor
On 8/20/2023 at 8:42 AM, ShawAngela said:

On 8/20/2023 at 10:18 AM, starschwar said:

I don't intend to speak for anybody, but I will speculate.

The 1971 version posted is crisp and HD, so it's probably from the raw scan on the Arrow version.  If the other one were coupled with the Caontnese dub, then it'd make sense to be the 1983 version, since that's when the Canto version first appeared.  And it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have alternate Chinese text if it were pared with the old Mandarin audio, right?  That's my take on it, at least.

I wonder how extensively (and why) dialogue was altered for the re-release. 

It seems the 1983 subs come from an older video transfer, possibly VCD or laserdisc? I'm surprised they went to the trouble of making new subs but there you go.

• Like 3

I've watched the documentary about the english dubbing artists and the Hong Kong dubbing scene back in the 70s. It was quite interesting to learn that most of them were radio broadcasters doing dubbing as a side hustle, and doing that was kind of frowned upon. Hence the huge gaps in the dubbing credits.

But I must admit: It shows. IMO most of the dubs sound very stiff to my ears, which seems understandable given that they weren't actual actors. But I can certainly see that, if you've grown up with these dubs, you might have developed a soft spot for them.

Also these dubs were often used as a source for other languages, for example here in Germany the dubbing quality is very good as opposed to other countries, and it seems that they were mainly following the original english scripts.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

@Kevin Chan What was the doc called? :)

Whoops sorry, forgot to mention. It's the one included in the Arrow Bruce Lee Boxset. It's 50 minutes and it's either on the Big Boss Disc or on the Way of the Dragon disc, I forgot.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Chorake said:

Axis of English, by my longtime collaborator RedMenace. I provided some consultation.

Great work! Might have been wrong about the runtime, possible I've confused the runtime with the other documentary about the Japanese camera man that Bruce liked to work with.

That boxset is just pure joy 😊

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Kevin Chan said:

Whoops sorry, forgot to mention. It's the one included in the Arrow Bruce Lee Boxset. It's 50 minutes and it's either on the Big Boss Disc or on the Way of the Dragon disc, I forgot.

I must have missed that extra then! Thanks I'll check it out.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Kevin Chan said:

17 hours ago, Chorake said:

Axis of English, by my longtime collaborator RedMenace. I provided some consultation.

I watched it and it was a solid piece! Really informative and enjoyable! Though it was 29mins long and not 50mins.

Thanks for bringing the doc to my attention. :)

• Like 2

I enjoyed the Axis of English, as well. I actually ended up watching it before the Mandarin cut of The Big Boss or The Game of Death stuff, lol. I particularly liked seeing the photos of the dubbers. For some of those dubbers, I'd never seen what they looked like before.

Two things I wonder about though.

Did Matthew Oram dubbed Wei Ping Ao for The Way of the Dragon? Because there's an interview with Michael Ross where he seems to think he did the voice?

Also, I assume Haigh the surname is pronounced as "heig"? like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE7TWSa-9zE

Though I think it might be "hei" when it's a placename?

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
12 minutes ago, Omni Dragon said:

I enjoyed the Axis of English, as well. I actually ended up watching it before the Mandarin cut of The Big Boss or The Game of Death stuff, lol. I particularly liked seeing the photos of the dubbers. For some of those dubbers, I'd never seen what they looked like before.

Two things I wonder about though.

Did Matthew Oram dubbed Wei Ping Ao for The Way of the Dragon? Because there's an interview with Michael Ross where he seems to think he did the voice?

Also, I assume Haigh the surname is pronounced as "heig"? like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE7TWSa-9zE

Though I think it might be "hei" when it's a placename?

Oram is Wei Ping-ao, Ross Jon Benn.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

Oram is Wei Ping-ao, Ross Jon Benn.

My mistake Michael Ross said in an interview that it's another Michael (that he couldn't remember the surname for) who dubbed Wei Ping Ao. At about 57:19:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_VSzlJnOO4gy65XtmJAv1UHjIIfdsdhq/view

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

My mistake Michael Ross said in an interview that it's another Michael (that he couldn't remember the surname for) who dubbed Wei Ping Ao. At about 57:19:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_VSzlJnOO4gy65XtmJAv1UHjIIfdsdhq/view

It was a long time ago, so perhaps Mr. Ross may have misremembered that particular role.

I think that's clearly Matthew as Wei Ping-ao, doing his signature "funny voice" you hear in stuff like this:

• Like 2