The Big Boss - Original English Dub....

fabhui

DragonClaws
On 5/25/2020 at 7:44 PM, fabhui said:

The rejected English dub is on the Shout blu rays. 

Thanks for that @fabhui, I dont own a copy of the U.S Blu-Ray box-set by Shout.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
22 hours ago, makone said:

The Australian box set is a direct copy of the first shout release and region B.

Thanks @makone, I have the MediumRare Blu-Ray set released in the U.K.

• Like 2

The fact The Big Boss has an early English dub (considered "rejected") that was created in Hong Kong and wasn't used on official releases for years, makes me wonder if the likes of the Project A movies and Police Story Part II ever had English dubs created in HK earlier than the ones found on the UK VHS tapes?

• Like 3

I recall my VHS of The Big Boss had some pretty crappy dubbing, especially in a scene where James Tien Chuen is talking to Chan Chue but the dub is so out of synch that's they seemed to have traded voices.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 10/22/2022 at 8:42 PM, J.J. Hayden said:

I recall my VHS of The Big Boss had some pretty crappy dubbing, especially in a scene where James Tien Chuen is talking to Chan Chue but the dub is so out of synch that's they seemed to have traded voices.

I think I found what you were talking about. (In the first video.)

First video is sourced from the 20th Century Fox DVD release:

Second sourced from HKL (Special Collector's Edition) sounds like they stretched the voice for Chan Chue's character:

Third sourced from the video uploaded to Dailymotion is from the Original Rejected Export Dub:

I wonder if the newer dub always had the synchronization problem or if it was something to do with a bad copy or transfer?

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Omni Dragon said:

LOL, that's it, takes me back, I remember as a kid also laughing at the line "Forget this business of OLD WANG".

• Like 4

ChineseSausage
On 10/29/2022 at 6:04 AM, Omni Dragon said:

Second sourced from HKL (Special Collector's Edition) sounds like they stretched the voice for Chan Chue's character:

Third sourced from the video uploaded to Dailymotion is from the Original Rejected Export Dub:

I wonder if the newer dub always had the synchronization problem or if it was something to do with a bad copy or transfer?

Is this George Tan's unreleased 2003 version?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ChineseSausage said:

Is this George Tan's unreleased 2003 version?

I found it on Dailymotion (Part 1: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2iaiw8 and Part 2: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2iau6a) that's as far back as I can trace it. Perhaps @Chorake knows?

• Like 3

Killer Meteor

I wouldn't have thought that first dub was bad enough to warrant it being redone. I think the voice for Bruce in FIST OF FURY is much worse for a start!

• Like 4

On 12/16/2022 at 1:11 AM, Killer Meteor said:

I wouldn't have thought that first dub was bad enough to warrant it being redone. I think the voice for Bruce in FIST OF FURY is much worse for a start!

A couple of good lines in the original...

"Just the six of you? Well, it's your funeral."

To be honest, though, I thought the first dub/ music was garbage. The second one sounds like the dubbing crew actually had a budget. And I thought Fist of Fury was an excellent dub, too.

All down to taste, I guess.

Edited by tomgray2404
  • Like 3

Killer Meteor
18 hours ago, tomgray2404 said:

A couple of good lines in the original...

"Just the six of you? Well, it's your funeral."

Which somehow became "four lousy guys" in the US dub!

• Like 5

Killer Meteor
4 hours ago, Kevin Chan said:

Maybe the outer two were cropped away for the VHS release or so.

Doesn't make sense, as the dub was for the theatrical version.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2022 at 12:53 PM, Omni Dragon said:

I found it on Dailymotion (Part 1: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2iaiw8 and Part 2: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2iau6a) that's as far back as I can trace it. Perhaps @Chorake knows?

I do not know how old the original PAL DVD5 and Betacam transfer is, but I can attest that at one point there was an older video of the DVD from 2007 on Dailymotion (that's my upload on there btw).

• Like 5

Omni Dragon

Welcome back, @Chorake Nice to see you here again.

I've missed your knowledge of obscure alternative versions of movies.

• Like 4

PandaPawPaw

My favourite bit of the English dub is -

'Hey, well did something happen?'
'Why you standing there like dumb OX!?'
'Stupid farmer!

:coveredlaugh

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

PandaPawPaw
18 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

My favourite bit of the English dub is -

'Hey, well did something happen?'
'Why you standing there like dumb OX!?'
'Stupid farmer!

:coveredlaugh

:laugh

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Omni Dragon
On 10/22/2022 at 8:42 PM, J.J. Hayden said:

On 10/29/2022 at 1:04 PM, Omni Dragon said:

It seems like the synchronization problem is probably due to the differences between the US theatrical version (1973) and the regular version (Hong Kong 1983 cut).

There's a detailed report on the differences on  https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=742530

Screenshot2023-07-26at09-55-29TheBigBoss(ComparisonUStheatricalcut(ArrowVideo)-Regularversion)-Movie-Censorship_com.png.a7f178e4728d2711505f00f551a63f77.png

It's interesting that the US theatrical version has parts where it's shorter, but still also other parts where it is longer, when compared to the regular version.

• Like 4

Coliseum1972

i saw french version on dailymotion , it was cut a few seconds.....you dont see Tien and other guy walking inside Boss mansion , suddenly theyre just inside......makes no sense to cut it , only few seconds and yet they did

Cheng is from countryside so him calling him "stupid farmer" isnt far fetched

Edited by Coliseum1972
  • Like 2

Coliseum1972

in the french version I saw on dailymotion , the theme song used was the music heared when he runs to the brothel again in mandarin version 

• Like 2

Just now, Omni Dragon said:

@Chorake, what's the source of this? Is it the one said to be in a documentary?

That's me doing a silly impression of Craig Allen to simulate what a bland Omni dub done in the aughts for Media Asia/Star TV might have been like hahahaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Chorake said:

That's me doing a silly impression of Craig Allen to simulate what a bland Omni dub done in the aughts for Media Asia/Star TV might have been like hahahaha

Oh, OK, sometimes I find it difficult to tell with your videos, if they are something genuinely rare or just a joke, lol.

Especially as I have heard rumours about a third dub for The Big Boss, that is said to be featured in a documentary. If it does exist I can't help but wonder if the dialogue replacement is just specifically for the documentary.

• Like 1