Wuxia recommendations?

MattG

I'm looking for recommendations for modern, quality wuxia or general kung fu films that don't have a lot of blood and gore. To give you an idea, I liked Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon but thought House of Flying Daggers (especially the end) was a little too bloody/graphic. I've already seen Hero.

Thanks!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Yi-Long

Ashes of Time is good, but don't know about the Redux that's out now.

Bride with White Hair is great too, but doesn't seem to have a good DVD release.

Bride with White Hair is great too, but doesn't seem to have a good DVD release.

Nobody would see anything if they're waiting for a good dvd release :bigsmile:

If by modern you mean produced since 2000, pickin's are a little slim.

If by modern you mean produced since 2000, pickin's are a little slim.

I was thinking in the last 20 yrs or so, but yes, leaning towards the last 10 yrs. Seems like the quality of film-making has just improved a lot in that time.

Well how about we start at the 80's.

Sword play/wu xia:

Swordsman

Swordsman II

The East is Red

New Dragon Gate Inn (there is a bit of gore at the beginning, maybe a minute or two).

Fire Dragon

Moon Warriors

Magic Crane

The Executioner

The Promise

Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain

Butterfly and Sword

Deadful Melody

Martial Arts:

Once Upon a Time in China I

Once Upon a Time in China II

Once Upon a Time in China III

Fong Sai Yuk I

Fong Sai Yuk II

Tai Chi Master

Love on Delivery

Kung Fu Cult Master (Evil Cult)

King of Beggars

Arahan (it's Korean, but it's still worth watching)

Deadend of Besiegers

Iron Monkey

More modern --

House of Fury

Dragon Tiger Gate (I heard it was ok)

Twins Effect II (you could do worse)

Umm...they just don't make'm like they used to and I've been concentrating on older material. I'm sure someone can suggest some worthy titles (besides Red Cliff, etc...) from the last 5-10 years or so.

Morgoth Bauglir

Sword Stained with Royal Blood 1993

The Magic Blade

The Sword 1980

Chinese Ghost Story 3

5 Element Ninjas

Holy Flame of the Martial World

Green Snake

There may be a tad of gore in these:wink:

There is this movie that I would like to know how good it is ?? it is quite weird that i can not find any trailer searching with google ?? have you guys seen this movie ?? thanks :angel:

I'm looking for recommendations for modern, quality wuxia or general kung fu films that don't have a lot of blood and gore. To give you an idea, I liked Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon but thought House of Flying Daggers (especially the end) was a little too bloody/graphic. I've already seen Hero.

Thanks!

The end of House of Flying Daggers was to bloody? Hmmm, all I remember was two guys dancing around till it snowed at the end:tongue:

You may want to check out some modern Chambara - When the Last Sword is Drawn, Twilight Samurai, Hidden Blade, Love and Honor, all excellent movies.

The Sword(1980) is my favorite wuxia, but if you don't like violent endings you may want to skip it.

I'm not really big on this sort of thing but the movies I did enjoy would be as you mentioned House of flying daggers, Hero, crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon... plus...

Bichunmoo, Legend of the shadowless sword, the legend of Fong Sai Yuk 1 & 2, once upon a time in China 1 - 3, Iron monkey, Chinese Ghost story 1 and 2, Bride with white hair, heroic Trio.

I thought the following were awful...

Butterfly and sword, Zu warriors from the magic mountain, new Dragon Gate inn, swordsman 2.

Someone mentioned the film The Blade I think that's going to be too bloody for you.

Archived