Bruce in Blu-Ray in UK

shukocarl

Now that HKL is defunct, who owns the rights to re-issue the Bruce Lee films in the UK? Particularly as more fans get into Blu-Ray - who and when will they appear (and hopefully done right)? I've been putting off getting a player until they are released. It's saving me cash I'll admit, but hey there's nothing like being prepared!:wink:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

Parent company Contender aren't defunct are they? So perhaps they still have rights? Could be no one has Blu Ray rights at this point. I would imagine Cine Asia would be most likely to put in a bid.

Thanks once again Mark.

BTW I checked MT's book again and it does appear that the TWO films were playing in HK at the same time quote: "he has enough Kungfu savvy for distrubtors to chance exhibiting two of his features simultaneously in Hong Kong"* (referring to Ho) unquote. *BL'S SECRET & HE'S A LEGEND, HE'S A HERO. From an article about Ho dated 8/10/76.

Well, here in the US, Fox has had the rights to Lee's Golden Harvest films since... well... whenever the first home video media came out :tongue: So it wouldn't surprise me if they release the blu-rays of his films here. Yet, while Big Boss, Fist of Fury, and Way of the Dragon have had HK blu-rays, the two Game of Death films are currently absent.

Guest Markgway
Thanks once again Mark.

BTW I checked MT's book again and it does appear that the TWO films were playing in HK at the same time quote: "he has enough Kungfu savvy for distrubtors to chance exhibiting two of his features simultaneously in Hong Kong"* (referring to Ho) unquote. *BL'S SECRET & HE'S A LEGEND, HE'S A HERO. From an article about Ho dated 8/10/76.

Well, he clearly refers to Bruce Lee's Secret and He's a Legend as two seperate films. So I guess they were released the same day. Most unusual, but thanks for clearing that element up. Still wondering why MW listed the title of BLS as Story of the Dragon. The curious world of Brucepolitation.

Morgoth Bauglir

I don't know who MW or MT is, but I think Story of the Dragon is a more fitting title for the movie than Bruce Lee's Secret.

Well, here in the US, Fox has had the rights to Lee's Golden Harvest films since... well... whenever the first home video media came out :tongue: So it wouldn't surprise me if they release the blu-rays of his films here. Yet, while Big Boss, Fist of Fury, and Way of the Dragon have had HK blu-rays, the two Game of Death films are currently absent.

Yeah, I noticed GOD & GOD 2 have not had Blu-Ray releases in HK. Presumably GOD will be the local version (hopefully they will re-insert the Ji Han Jae and Dan Inosanto scenes), while the other film should go under it's original title TOD.

Yeah, I noticed GOD & GOD 2 have not had Blu-Ray releases in HK. Presumably GOD will be the local version (hopefully they will re-insert the Ji Han Jae and Dan Inosanto scenes), while the other film should go under it's original title TOD.

Well, that's the thing. The reason I said GOD2 rather than TOD is because Fortune Star decide to master the international cut of TOD for it's HD master. Now, it's possible FS could go back and work on the original Hong Kong cut... but I dunno.

I think the only DVD to contain the 100% original HK cut is the HKL version, as the Universe Laser Hong Kong DVD has the Hong Kong cut in Cantonese and Mandarin... but bizarrely enough with the international cut music. So for a possible blu-ray? It'll probably still be the international cut.

And for "local version" of GOD, do you mean the HK cut? If so, once again, FS mastered the English-language print. Makes more sense anyway since that was the "original" cut to begin with.

Archived